Travel Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by rickt »

This forum has seen three threads in the month of February regarding travel to Minnesota, Maryland and Indiana.

That prompted me to create this FAQ.

Rick's Unofficial Travel FAQ

Q.: I am traveling to another state and I am wondering if my Ohio CHl is valid there?

A.: There are two good web sites which have interactive maps which can show you in which states your Ohio CHL is valid. Those sites are Handgunlaws and USA Carry.

Q.: What is the difference between "honors" and "reciprocity"?

A.: "Reciprocity" means Ohio and another state have signed an agreement to honor each other's CCW permits (Ohio AG reciprocity page). Some states have decided to honor other states licenses without any reciprocity agreement which is why your Ohio CHL is valid in more states than those with which Ohio has a reciprocity agreement.

Q.: While I am in another state, do I follow Ohio's laws or the laws of the state I am visiting?

A.: Always obey the laws of the state you are visiting.

Q.: How can I find out the laws of any state I plan to visit?

A.: Several web sites provide synopses of state firearms laws which you can review and print out for your travels to other states. They are http://www.handgunlaw.us/, http://www.usacarry.com/index.php, and http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/.

Q:. Can I travel with a firearm on an airplane?

A.: Yes, but you must follow the TSA guidelines shown here: TSA guidelines.
In addition, the TSA recommends checking with the airline for additional policies the airline might have about traveling with a firearm. Since not all airline personnel understand firearms policies, printing and carrying both the airline's policy and the TSA policy is a good idea.

Q:. Can I travel with a firearm on Amtrak?

A.: No. Amtrak policy forbids firearms in both checked and carry-on baggage.

Q.: Can I travel with a firearm on a Greyhound bus?

A.: No. Greyhound's list of prohibited items includes firearms.

Q.: Isn't there a Federal law that is supposed to protect travelers with firearms?

A.: Yes. The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) offers some protection. The NRA Gun Laws web site describes it like this: "Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."
Last edited by rickt on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by sodbuster95 »

Very nice. This should get "sticky-ed".

I didn't know Amtrack and Greyhound prohibited even in checked bags. That's lame.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
GlockLovingEngineer

Post by GlockLovingEngineer »

sodbuster95 wrote:Very nice. This should get "sticky-ed".

I didn't know Amtrack and Greyhound prohibited even in checked bags. That's lame.
Agreed on all points...
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Peter Carr
Vikefantam

Post by Vikefantam »

rickt wrote:This forum has seen three threads in the month of February regarding travel to Minnesota, Maryland and Indiana.

That prompted me to create this FAQ.

Rick's Unofficial Travel FAQ

Q.: I am traveling to another state and I am wondering if my Ohio CHl is valid there?

A.: There are two good web sites which have interactive maps which can show you in which states your Ohio CHL is valid. Those sites are Handgunlaws and USA Carry.

A.: "Reciprocity" means Ohio and another state have signed an agreement to honor each other's CCW permits (Ohio AG reciprocity page). Some states have decided to honor other states licenses without any reciprocity agreement which is why your Ohio CHL is valid in more states than those with which Ohio has a reciprocity agreement.

Q.: While I am in another state, do I follow Ohio's laws or the laws of the state I am visiting?

A.: Always obey the laws of the state you are visiting.

Q.: How can I find out the laws of any state I plan to visit?

A.: Several web sites provide synopses of state firearms laws which you can review and print out for your travels to other states. They are http://www.handgunlaw.us/, http://www.usacarry.com/index.php, and http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/.

Q:. Can I travel with a firearm on an airplane?

A.: Yes, but you must follow the TSA guidelines shown here: TSA guidelines.
In addition, the TSA recommends checking with the airline for additional policies the airline might have about traveling with a firearm. Since not all airline personnel understand firearms policies, printing and carrying both the airline's policy and the TSA policy is a good idea.

Q:. Can I travel with a firearm on Amtrak?

A.: No. Amtrak policy forbids firearms in both checked and carry-on baggage.

Q.: Can I travel with a firearm on a Greyhound bus?

A.: No. Greyhound's list of prohibited items includes firearms.

Q.: Isn't there a Federal law that is supposed to protect travelers with firearms?

A.: Yes. The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) offers some protection. The NRA Gun Laws web site describes it like this: "Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."
I will tell you one thing - Minnesota is VERY liberal. Lord knows that during the offseason, me being one of the few republicans in there, I get into my share of fights. No way in hell do you conceal carry in that state. Check their laws (gun in trunk, ammo in glove compartment or something like that).
Tammy
"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state." Thomas Jefferson

("Che" referring to Juan Person in the play Evita) "Juan always picks the easy fight. Juan praises fools, Juan smothers light. Juan shifts from left to right. It's politics, the art of the possible."
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Vikefantam wrote:I will tell you one thing - Minnesota is VERY liberal. Lord knows that during the offseason, me being one of the few republicans in there, I get into my share of fights. No way in hell do you conceal carry in that state. Check their laws (gun in trunk, ammo in glove compartment or something like that).
Minnesota honors your Ohio license; the form of carry you mentioned is for individuals without a license.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
sargent51

Post by sargent51 »

So...I am still not understanding the difference. Can someone explain the difference between reciprocity and honor?

Thanks...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

sargent51 wrote:

So...I am still not understanding the difference. Can someone explain the difference between reciprocity and honor?

Thanks...
In a nutshell, reciprocity means that each state will accept the other state's license through a formal agreement. Conversely, a state that honors a license does so on it's own without the tit-for-tat agreement.

I.E., Ohio has no reciprocity agreement with Vermont, but Vermont "honors" my Ohio CHL (not that you need one in Vermont, but that's beside the point).
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

I got another question, and excuse me if it's been answered before. If I put my handgun into a lockbox prior to entering a CPZ, does the handgun have to be unloaded? Technically it is not being 'transported' while the truck is in a parking lot.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
juanvaldez

Post by juanvaldez »

I do not have your answer but I do have another question. I know many states honor my license but some do not. Is there a list of states that covers the majority?

Example
I have Ohio. What other states should I apply for that would cover the largest percentage of the US?
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think they do a compilation of multiple states, but they do list where each license is honored.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
Bigdaddy

Post by Bigdaddy »

While on this subject ....

http://www.handgunlaws.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; used to have a section called "nationwide off limits" it gave you a list state by state of places that were off limits even with a license/permit that did not have to be posted I.E. in Ohio daycare centers or places that serve alcohol to be consumed on site.

I can not find this link any longer, does anyone no of something similar?

Thanks JJ
I carry my gun to protect the lives of the ones I love.
tmcblane

Post by tmcblane »

juanvaldez wrote:I do not have your answer but I do have another question. I know many states honor my license but some do not. Is there a list of states that covers the majority?

Example
I have Ohio. What other states should I apply for that would cover the largest percentage of the US?
Apply for a Florida license, it can all be done thru the mail. $117. Between Florida and Ohio you are covered in 36 states I believe it is.

You can apply for a utah license but there is this paragraph in their literature:

WEAPON FAMILIARITY CERTIFICATION:
Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course
certified by the Bureau. The course must be completed
before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor
complete the certification information on the application.
Holders of a valid Concealed Firearm Permit from another
state other than Utah are not exempt from taking the weapon
familiarity course from an approved Utah instructor.
BCI
must receive your application within one year of course
completion.

Note the Key words there "from an approved Utah Instructor"

How strictly they enforce that I have no idea, perhaps someone who has a Utah non resident license can verify
Last edited by tmcblane on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
tmcblane

Post by tmcblane »

Rhino wrote:I got another question, and excuse me if it's been answered before. If I put my handgun into a lockbox prior to entering a CPZ, does the handgun have to be unloaded? Technically it is not being 'transported' while the truck is in a parking lot.
Hmmmm, that is a good question! One thing for sure, if you are somewhere and your wife or girlfiend or anybody else unlicensed to carry is in the car. DO NOT leave the loaded gun in the car with them locked up or not unless you put it in the trunk. Best bet is unload the mag or cylinder, put the bullets in your pocket and lock the gun then in the car or appropriate container to satisfy the law. Then neither of you are breaking any law.
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

Here is a spreadsheet I made to use as a quick guide while traveling. I have a color code so you know what is legal (green), has gray areas (yellow), and is illegal (red). Please note, just because an activity is legal while armed, it may not be legal if you do not have a CHL recognized in that state. This is currently set up to match the CHLs I hold, Ohio, and PA. You can change it to match the CHLs you have.

If you find that I made any errors, please post it so I can make corrections.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gmddywmq3 ... 20laws.xls
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

tmcblane wrote:
juanvaldez wrote: Note the Key words there "from an approved Utah Instructor"

How strictly they enforce that I have no idea, perhaps someone who has a Utah non resident license can verify
We have some apporved Utah Intructors residing in Ohio...