Ray's Pharmacy in Dayton robbed, Ray fights back

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mark

Ray's Pharmacy in Dayton robbed, Ray fights back

Post by Mark »

The following articles are not very detailed. Does anyone know if the owner of Ray's pharmacy had a CHL?

http://www.wdtn.com/index.cfm?action=ds ... ryid=75148

http://www.whiotv.com/news/4795658/detail.html

http://www.wdtn.com/index.cfm?action=ds ... ryid=75246
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

It may not have been required since he was a retired LEO. If he served enough time to qualify under HR 218 he wouldn't need a license.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Woooo Hoooooo Ride 'em cowboy!!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Updated 8/2/2005 at 8:00:07

A Dayton pharmacist is forced to shoot at a robbery suspect, and it's all caught on tape. The suspect entered Ray's Pharmacy on Monday. He was wearing a mask and he threatened the clerk with a high powered gun.

Owner and pharmacist, David Oinos, was working in the back when the robber approached the clerk. Oinos is also a former sheriff's deputy, and he had a gun of his own.

Oinos said, "The robber put it in her face, demanded money. At which point she yelled for me, fell to the ground and I presented my firearm."

Oinos missed the suspect, but hit the cash register instead. He says he's glad that's the only casualty on this day.

Several years ago, another owner of the business had to shoot and kill a robbery suspect. While unfortunate, incidents like these actually make some employees feel safer.

Paula Smith said, "I been here six years. I am not afraid to be here. My pharmacist, Dave Oinos is like my dad. He protects all of us. He will not let anything happen."

The gunman is still on the loose. If you have any information, call Dayton Police at 333-COPS.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
generaljl

Post by generaljl »

Anybody go out and by one of those new high power guns lately? All mine are apparently low power.
CMiddleton

high powered

Post by CMiddleton »

I guess the media felt it important to distinguish that it was high powered.

If they would not have said "high powered" I would have assumed he had one of these rubberband guns with the wheel that shoot 6 of them...wonder why someone would need a whopping 6 rubberbands in their rubberband gun anyway. That is just not sensible to have an assault style rubberband assault weapon.
It can be difficult to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your butt in alligators.
the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

I have been in the pharmacy biz for almost 20 years now and let me tell you, I am shocked the bad guy was after money.

I won't opine about the crap that I have encountered, but suffice it to say that this pharmacist is likely wise beyond his years, probably due to his LEO experience.

Too many (if not all) of the chains would not allow a pharmacist to be carrying at work.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

I bet you dimes to dollars the guy was after drugs like oxycontin. If he was planning on taking any money it would probably just been icing on the cake for him.

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian_Horton wrote:I bet you dimes to dollars the guy was after drugs like oxycontin.
Oxycontin is the single most effective pain-killing drug that doesn't have to be injected. It is a shame and a loss that the Old Media are attempting to smear this excellent medicine because the low-lifes like to abuse it.

Until my doctor prescribed Oxycontin for me I used to walk with a cane and only with great difficulty. Now I am back to nearly normal function.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Oinos said, "The robber put it in her face, demanded money. At which point she yelled for me, fell to the ground and I presented my firearm."
Sounds like they've worked this as a preplanned response. Most excellent.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Ukraine Train

Post by Ukraine Train »

Is oxy habit forming? Seems like if you take it for a chronic condition you could become dependent.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Yes like many powerful pain killers it can be addictive. Doctors have to be very careful when prescribing dosages. It is a narcotic.

I don't think that it should be outlawed as some people have lobbied for. It really is a wonder drug that has changed the lives of thousands of people with debilitating chronic pain. Tom is a prime example of it's positive effects from proper useage. But like many things in this world it can be over used and abused and has a dark side so to speak. Oxycontin addicts are so hooked and can crave it so bad that they are very often driven to violence in their efforts to steal it or money to buy it. There have been many cases around the country where the addicts would attack people that had legitmate prescriptions for the drug in pharmacy parking lots or follow them home and assault them there.

Traditionally oxycontin abuse has been considered a "redneck" drug problem in rural areas and that it is why it is often called "hillbilly heroine". It is becoming a much bigger problem in urban and suburban areas more recently. Even some high profile people like Rush Limbaugh have struggled with oxycontin addiction. The spread in the suburban areas seems to be just springing up on the radar. Many middle class, educated, "normal" moms and dads in suburbia have become addicts after being prescribed the drug to alleviate pain.

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Oxycontin is excellent for severe, chronic pain. Yes, it is very habit forming. Scumbags like to crush it and snort it up their nose.

Methamphetamine seems to be the big problem now, as if anything could have been worse than crack.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

I agree. Meth is probably the biggest and worst drug epidemic in the USA. Not only does the drug mess you up with all that it does to the users but it kills and maims people when they try to make it and screw it up. This happens all the time. Then since these people never have insurance the hospitals that treat them rarely ever recoup more than 50% of the medical care costs from medicare. Rolling meth labs also present a huge danger to society in general. The labs are filled with unstable and highly flammable chemicals. They are like rolling time bombs.

the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

Many middle class, educated, "normal" moms and dads in suburbia have become addicts after being prescribed the drug to alleviate pain.
You guys would be mortified to know how many "normal" people are legally addicted to prescription medication. You would likely be even further outraged at how, as a pharmacist, so many people (and their physicians) don't care and are not only resistant, but sometimes even combative to getting any "help".

Too in-depth of a topic for this forum. But, suffice it to say, I have worked in all types of neighborhoods as a pharmacist and there is a problem out there. The potential violence will unfortunately likely get worse before it gets better.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.