Ohio CCW Test?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: Ohio CCW Test?

Post by mreising »

Shadow wrote:
NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home is a better course and meets Ohio's requirements without modification.

Philip
Except you need Personal Protection in the Home as a pre-requisite and that requires Basic Pistol.

ETA-I won't argue that PPOTH is a better preparation for concealed carry, but it still has it's prerequisites and the ORC requires training in
(i) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(ii) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;

(iii) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;

(iv) Gun handling training.

(b) At least two hours of training that consists of range time and live-fire training.
Those quotes from the Ohio Revised Code are right out of the NRA Basic Pistol course.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
elderboy02

Post by elderboy02 »

When I took my CCW class, the test was so easy that I got a 100% on it. It is mostly common sense questions. I don't think you will have a problem passing it. :wink:
OFCC Member, Ohio CHL holder, NRA Life Member, AR15.com Life Member.
farblue

Post by farblue »

The test that we took during our course was from the NRA's "Basics of Pistol Shooting" course. The questions were directly taken from the "fill in the blank" questions in the handbook, given as multiple choice.

IIRC, I think it was 80% to pass?

NO ONE in our class failed.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
cmarks03

Post by cmarks03 »

The NRA tests I took were mostly common sense, and if you know how to own and operate a handgun safely, you should pass. The instructor did go over any question that anyone got wrong (except for one guy that failed, he worked with him one-on-one).
- Chris
"I are a engineer"
"I'm not fat - I'm grossly overdesigned" (Morne)
"People can see your gun. Just be sure to reserve the view of the muzzle for the really bad ones." (muxtech)

Though I do have Progressive insurance, IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. This is my $.02; remember you paid less than that for it.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

MReising :-)

I like how the AG pamphlet mentions "Knowledge Skills and Attitude", dunno WHERE they got that ?? :-)

One important thing on the NRA tests is to read EVERY multiple choice option, many times more than one, or all of the answers are correct, thus the rightest answer is "Both A&B" or "All of the above"

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Orlando

Post by Orlando »

The test in my course was a total joke. Took test passed it to the person beside you and they graded it. Test was over things someone who never took the class could have answered
mauser

Post by mauser »

OldManTod wrote:ummmm... I don't recall the NRA Basic Pistol couse being open book either by design or by law - you may want to contact your training counselor for clarification.

WOW after reading your posts again, I am pretty stringent in my class and testing - I have not had anybody fail yet (one person came close, he got an 81), but nothing is open book?

T

I don't think there is anything in the NRA or the law that prohibits open book either. I took the test the first time without open book and missed only one question and that was only because I misinterpreted the question. It is not that difficult of a test if you have some prior knowledge. I have noticed that most students will answer all but a couple of the questions without the book then pick it up to double check or finish only a few questions. I have never seen a student use the book to take the whole test.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Orlando wrote:The test in my course was a total joke. Took test passed it to the person beside you and they graded it. Test was over things someone who never took the class could have answered
The test is only a "total joke" to someone who is already smarter then everyone else. Not sure if I should :roll: or :wink: .
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Orlando

Post by Orlando »

Cruiser wrote:
Orlando wrote:The test in my course was a total joke. Took test passed it to the person beside you and they graded it. Test was over things someone who never took the class could have answered
The test is only a "total joke" to someone who is already smarter then everyone else. Not sure if I should :roll: or :wink: .
I'm not that smart, test was a joke. I seriuosly doubt that anyone even looked at the test grades
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

When I train the class, we review the test after it's been graded as a group, to ensure there are neither additional queries nor possible misconceptions. When a student states his or her answer was incorrect, we discuss it, as a group, and resolve any existing questions.

Two reasons: 1.) I want to ensure all students leave the class with the right set of newly learned skills; and 2.) Years ago, a PR-24 Baton training peer did not review the test with the students, and was later subjected to a lawsuit for failure to review said materials.

One can refer to the test is a joke, or one can accept the test is yet another measure to ensure each student, even the "old hands" have read each question carefully, have put thought into their answer, and have gained additional and valuable knowledge.
Last edited by Tweed Ring on Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

A person who had never handled or fired a handgun, or been exposed to them at all could not have answered the questions without taking the class. And Basic Pistol is purpose designed to be able to work with students just like that. I'm doing the home study for Reloading discipline right now, I can answer MOST of the questions off the cuff, but some of them want the answer that is taught in the class not your opinion what is best. My wife took Basic pistol walking in with a very shallow education on guns and gun safety, she scored 100% on the test and I missed one because I misread the question.

It is a shame really that some people feel the test is a joke, they COULD write the NRA I guess and express that emotion I suppose.

Our Ohio CHL law was purposefully written to be INCLUSIVE, and it seems as though some people feel it should be more EXCLUSIVE and that some people are not as deserving as others to be included and accommodated in the classes and in the CHL process.

Plain and simple NRA training classes are not pass/fail for WILLING students, the Instructors job is to work WITH the student so that each gets better at the process.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Another reason to review the test is it provides feedback on possible areas in which the instructor did not place enough emphasis. For example, if one has a class of 12 students and over half missed the same question, then the instructor knows he/she has to review the lesson plan and the training approach, to discern why this specific question was answered incorrectly by so many students.

I will also raise another point about the class materials. I have seen a myriad of students who could receive a passing score on the written test without taking the class. I have also seen a number of students who were new to the shooting sports and self-defense. These trainees were in attendance because of something bad that happened to them, or to a friend, and to a co-worker. A competent instructor will work closely with these new people, because they come to class knowing very little about firearms, firearm safety, etc. What they know or believe to be true has been garnered from a lifetime of video games, television and/or the movie screen.

I’ve been training people for some time. I try to learn something in each class. I also attend one class each year as a student, to evaluate how my team-teacher presents the materials.

Like many aspects of life, one gets out of the CCW Licensure class what one puts into the CCW Licensure class.
Orlando

Post by Orlando »

I'm really wondering if the test I took was the same as what others are taking? Anyone have a copy? Sorry if I offended anyone but I dont think there was much to that test
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Your opinion is as valuable as mine. Some people have the right skill set to pass the test easily, while some struggle.
1350cfm

Post by 1350cfm »

It called a "Basic Pistol Class" Right? I don't recall it ever being said that it was an ADVANCED course that was going to teach us everything every known about the history of weapons and at the end of the day we go home with our very own pistol we machine from a billet of stainless steel and carve custom pearl grips as extra credit.

I agree that is was pretty common sense for people who have been around guns, But my buddy has never shot or really even handled a gun and he got alot of knowlege from the class. I also learned a few things I didn't know. Also I suppose just as important as what was in the BOOK was what was in the TEACHERS BRAIN. A good instructor will(and did in our class) give you much more info.