Ohio CCW Test?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Orlando

Re: Ohio CCW Test?

Post by Orlando »

You guys are missing the point, I'm wondering if they had the same test. Me my 23 year old daughter and her friend took the class and had no trouble at all. My daughter has been around firearms for awhile but her friend has very little knowledge and she passed it easily.
Does every CCW course offered have the same exact test is it just supposed to meet certain requirements and the instructor makes up their own?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Orlando wrote:I'm really wondering if the test I took was the same as what others are taking? Anyone have a copy? Sorry if I offended anyone but I dont think there was much to that test
Back I 2003 in preparing for my CHL. I ordered the NRA Basic Handgun course material including test and answers. Thinking it would be really tough. It wasn't. But I read the books several months before the class and did learn a lot from them.
If interested check the NRA store, my guess is you can order the same material today.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

The NRA Basic pistol material/test is the same for everybody - the test you took, your daughters, I and every other basic pistol test is the same. What is different is the "additional material" that is (for the most part) necessary to fill the time the Great State sets as standard. For instance, the NRA material (to their own admittance) is not sufficient to fill 10 hours unless there is ALOT of questions on the very basics.

That said, don't forget some people dont test well - I can attest that I took the course a second time after a couple years of having my CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE (not CCW or CCP or anything like that) with my Dad to see what the material was like and I think I missed like two or three questions on the test (even though I knew the material in and out).

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
cmarks03

Post by cmarks03 »

I don't know that I could have passed the test without the book. The safety stuff is what I have been practicing since I started shooting. But I didn't know some of the finer techniques (learned from the book and the instructors on the range) and some of the terminology (I knew what SA and DA meant, but couldn't remember which was which if that makes sense). I can definitely say that I learned a lot from the class.
Orlando wrote:I'm really wondering if the test I took was the same as what others are taking? Anyone have a copy? Sorry if I offended anyone but I dont think there was much to that test
I don't have the tests available, but IIRC the top said they were based on the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting book (50 questions) and the NRA Guide to Personal Protection in the Home book (30 questions). Again, if I remember correctly.
- Chris
"I are a engineer"
"I'm not fat - I'm grossly overdesigned" (Morne)
"People can see your gun. Just be sure to reserve the view of the muzzle for the really bad ones." (muxtech)

Though I do have Progressive insurance, IANAL and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. This is my $.02; remember you paid less than that for it.
Orlando

Post by Orlando »

It sounds to me that instructors can make up their own tests, there is nothing standard. Guys that found it alittle harder may have taken a real good test and the one we took not so good.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Here's my recent example. Just finished a class; one student was an attorney. She knew more about the Terry Stop, including the history, application, nuances, etc. than I ever knew. I learned from her. Unfortunately for her, the Terry Stop is not on the written test.

But: Squib, hang fire, and misfire were a complete mystery to her. She's been to Israel and dealt with their military. She's involved in politics and women’s issues. She marched for civil rights. She's well- educated and well-schooled, and well-traveled.

Squib, misfire and hang fire were completely foreign terms to her. She kept getting them confused. Mental block. We had to grind on this area; finally, I had to make sound effects to get her on track. I’m not good at doing sound effects, but I gave it my best effort.

After the test, she asked me, in her best lawyerly-like voice to define the term "Against Penal Interest," which is a term of art.

I stumbled with the definition, then she defined it for me and told me while I may well know the difference between a hang fire and a misfire, I didn't know everything.

Point taken.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Orlando wrote:It sounds to me that instructors can make up their own tests, there is nothing standard. Guys that found it alittle harder may have taken a real good test and the one we took not so good.
If an instructor is teaching the NRA Basic Pistol course, then they must use the NRA test. If they are teaching their own course they may use what ever test they believe is adequate to assess the students' knowledge of firearms safety. They can also test on the law if they wish although a test on that is not required. If your test was a multipage, 50 question, multiple choice and true/false, with an attached course evaluation and said NRA on it, you took the test that most are referring to here. If not, you took something different.

As other instructors have noted, especially Willbird and Tweed Ring, the NRA course and test is designed primarily for new shooters with little or no prior knowledge. Having said that though, we get a lot of experienced shooters in our CHL class who almost universally tell us they learned something new about shooting even though we use the NRA Basic Pistol course as the basis for our class.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Orlando

Post by Orlando »

Well that clears things up. I never said it was a NRA test. We were tested twice ,and as I said before very simple ,to easy. The range time was basically you dont shoot anyone you pass. I am actually considering taking another training class just to see what I missed out on.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

We charge $140.00 per student, paid in advance. We are in our seats promptly at 8:00 AM. I don't want to hear about anyone not finding the classroom; it's the student's job to be there on time, and attentive. No live ammo in the class. We work though lunch which is provided. You provide all ammo for the class. We will make arrangements for each student to try a variety of firearms on an inside range.

I stress safety, first, last and foremost. If a student cannot or will not listen, and act in an unsafe manner, they receive only one (1) warning, depending upon the severity of the offense. Once, years ago, I saw a guy shoot himself on a range once - never again. We have some fun in class, even donuts and pizza, but on the range, we're all business.

We’re in Central Ohio. If you want to attend our class, PM me with a real email address and we’ll add you to the list.
Orlando

Post by Orlando »

PM Sent
mreising

Post by mreising »

You wil have a top notch class from Tweed Ring.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Mercenary

Post by Mercenary »

I would like to thank everyone for replying and helping out. Spoke with them on the phone and i dont think i will have any troubles, one thing on the test is that you have to list 8 places you are not allowed to carry your handgun and i can do that just from looking at the book for a couple of seconds. Cant wait till the next weekend.
Mercenary

Post by Mercenary »

I took the CCW course yesterday and now i just have go to the sheriff office and get what needs to be done in order to get my permit. Thanks to everyone here who helped.
jmckinney10

Post by jmckinney10 »

So it sounds like the written test is definately not an issue. I am sure the range portion isnt either but my wife is taking the class with me and is stressing over the range portion. Can any of you instructors walk me through your requirements so i can go over them with her.
Bump Fire

Post by Bump Fire »

I'm not an instructor but I'd be happy to explain what my range expirence was like. I took mine at an outdoor range. We brought our own handguns but were encouraged to bring several and trade with others in the class if we wished. A the line (about 21 feet from the target) we were told to "load" - pull the side on autos then reholster. Then "shooters ready" - draw, then both hands on the weapon, trigger finger on the frame or trigger guard, gun pointed low and down range. Then "gun" - take aim and fire. The range portion isn't so much about accuracy but SAFETY!!! They don't want to see sloppy or bad shooting habbits. As long as you can score hits on a man sized target at that range, your good to go. My class didn't have any stipulations on caliber as long as it was a pistol. This may differ somewhat from instructor to instructor.
“When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” - Benjamin Franklin

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison