Ohio CCW Test?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dclaarjr

Re: Ohio CCW Test?

Post by dclaarjr »

Here are some threads that will help you. Different instructors do different things, but the basics are pretty much the same.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any other questions, please ask.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
greg

Post by greg »

honostly the test is a joke---dont stress out about it....
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The test is designed to screen people in, rather than screen people out. Additionally, it allows we instructors to see if there are areas which upon which we must place more stress during the classroom portion. To many people it is common sense - to people who have never used the word "squib," and thing I am referring to some aquatic creature, the test is simply another teaching tool.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Tweed Ring wrote:The test is designed to screen people in, rather than screen people out. Additionally, it allows we instructors to see if there are areas which upon which we must place more stress during the classroom portion. To many people it is common sense - to people who have never used the word "squib," and thing I am referring to some aquatic creature, the test is simply another teaching tool.
The test does trip up people who do not read the questions, and possible answers. "all of the above" and "A and C" seem to get some folks quite often who do not take time to see if more than one option is the correct answer.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sure. It's always a good idea to advise the student to carefully read each question. The people who don't tend to read the questions carefully are the ones who typically smack themselves in the head and say,"I knew that!"

Reason I go over the tests with each student who missed a question, to ensure they know the correct answer. It's my policy for us each to initial the question, but other instructors do it differently. I was taught to initial w/the student based upon a lawsuit filed against a PR-24 Baton Instructor. The student only missed one question on the written test, but a good lawyer nailed the instructor in court. The specific question was tied to when to use a striking technique to the head of an opponent.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Tweed Ring wrote:The test is designed to screen people in, rather than screen people out. Additionally, it allows we instructors to see if there are areas which upon which we must place more stress during the classroom portion. To many people it is common sense - to people who have never used the word "squib," and thing I am referring to some aquatic creature, the test is simply another teaching tool.
A squib is a term that a Marine with dyslexia uses to describe a sailor.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

There are dyslexic Marines? Imagine that...
Bump Fire

Post by Bump Fire »

greg wrote:honostly the test is a joke---dont stress out about it....
Agreed, my father has been a member of this board for a couple of years now. IIRC, he joined when we were headed for our class. In any case, everyone's advise was spot on. It's all about safety, not really marksmanship.

The written test in our class cake too. Just a few questions about the major points in the law, and some basic gun saftey stuff. Don't worry. The biggest thing you'll need to contend with is getting plenty of rest the night before so the long hours in your seat doesn't put you to sleep :mrgreen:
“When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” - Benjamin Franklin

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison