POST OFFICES?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

The bottom line isn't so much where the schooling is at, the bottom line is to stay in touch with your kiddies (I have 4).

We home school for the first few years to build the foundation and the habits (our two boys so far both went into the public school in 3rd grade) but I think with our 5 year old we are going to get right into Kindergarten, she has actually been doing school style work for a few years with the boys being home schooled.

Another thing that has helped are the computer games that the girls play, our 3 year old loves Dora so not only does she know how to use the mouse and keyboard together, but her numbers and colors are already a snap for her.

Somebody made the statement that some people can and some people can't, you are absolutely right, but you have to be on the ball enough to recognize that you can't do it and hand over the education to the pro's, HOWEVER that doesn't mean that you hand over raising your child. Teachers want nothing more than parents that are committed to raising that child and helping them learn.

Hey Petro, as far as the rampage's, you weren't the first and you won't be the last :)

Great thread everybody,

and by the way, I live up near Brookpark so the Marine's who have lost lives lately have been a big thing up here, most of do in fact have our faith, so if you would, say a prayer for the families, this is a rough time.

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: ....

Post by TunnelRat »

OldManTod wrote:and by the way, I live up near Brookpark so the Marine's who have lost lives lately have been a big thing up here, most of do in fact have our faith, so if you would, say a prayer for the families, this is a rough time.
Yup, us "fundamentalist religious psychos" will keep you in mind...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

I think it's better to develop a sense of the world in the relatively sheltered environment of public school rather than be schooled at home, then suddenly thrust into the world.
It's funny you see it that way. Usually what hapens when homeschooled kids are "thrust" into the world is that they can't figure out why all those kids act the way they do.

I can't tell you how many times our kids have looked at us and said something like "what's wrong with those kids" or "why are those kids acting that way?"

Also, anytime we go to a function with "normal" kids, the people in charge comment about how our kids are actually interested in what's going on and pay attention and are just so well behaved. Of course that doesn't really have anything to do with teaching, but it's nice to know that we're doing something right. :)
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

toddhill wrote:
I think it's better to develop a sense of the world in the relatively sheltered environment of public school rather than be schooled at home, then suddenly thrust into the world.
It's funny you see it that way. Usually what hapens when homeschooled kids are "thrust" into the world is that they can't figure out why all those kids act the way they do.

I can't tell you how many times our kids have looked at us and said something like "what's wrong with those kids" or "why are those kids acting that way?"

Also, anytime we go to a function with "normal" kids, the people in charge comment about how our kids are actually interested in what's going on and pay attention and are just so well behaved. Of course that doesn't really have anything to do with teaching, but it's nice to know that we're doing something right. :)
I follow, but I think you understand my point.

My girls happen to be very well behaved also.

Preparation for life's challenges comes from many sources. Certainly parents, and the Church, are two of the most important.

Public schools attendance will expose children to all strata of society; the good and the bad. It's a risky venture for sure. Life is a risky venture.
tommcnaughton wrote:
OldManTod wrote:and by the way, I live up near Brookpark so the Marine's who have lost lives lately have been a big thing up here, most of do in fact have our faith, so if you would, say a prayer for the families, this is a rough time.
Yup, us "fundamentalist religious psychos" will keep you in mind...
I don't know you, Tom, so I obviously don't know your religious leanings. You seem fairly mainstream by your posts; so I'll take a leap of speculation...I doubt you are anything like the folks I was referring to.

The folks I was referring to as "fundamentalist religious psychos" were not yer run of the mill Bible Thumpers or snake handlers......they were WAY out there. I guess you would've had to see it to believe it. :D
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote:Yup, us "fundamentalist religious psychos" will keep you in mind...
The folks I was referring to as "fundamentalist religious psychos" were not yer run of the mill Bible Thumpers or snake handlers......they were WAY out there.
Hmmm, if you've got "Bible Thumpers" and "snake handlers" more in the mainstream category, then I'll have to agree that these folks probably "were WAY out there"...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

I follow, but I think you understand my point.
Of course I do :)
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote:Yup, us "fundamentalist religious psychos" will keep you in mind...
The folks I was referring to as "fundamentalist religious psychos" were not yer run of the mill Bible Thumpers or snake handlers......they were WAY out there.
Hmmm, if you've got "Bible Thumpers" and "snake handlers" more in the mainstream category, then I'll have to agree that these folks probably "were WAY out there"...
They made snake handlers look as conservative as Methodists.

The LAST night I worked there they were hosting a 'bible meeting'. I stayed in my patient's room, and I didn't see what was going on. But let me tell you what I heard wasn't nothing like no Bible meeting.

It sounded like some kind of orgy.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jeff:

I'm reminded of a comment I once made to a friend who's new job had turned into something oppressive.

"Kinda like joining a cult that advocates human sacrifice, and finding out that tonight, you're 'it'."

We probably shouldn't get into religion here too much, but there are some really over-the-top groups out there. Some are quite harmless, I think (a friend was involved in something or other that considered TV sets to be the Devil's Work, but otherwise would have been welcome about anywhere), and some are, well, rather different.

Freedom of speech and religion do that sort of thing....

As long as nobody's getting hurt, I guess it's OK. Problem is defining "hurt"....

(When I become Emperor, I will proscribe all such things, except for sending virgins to worship me. That should result in a lot of healthy competition for my job, but that's what this country is all about. I know there's something wrong with this view, but I just can't put my finger on it.... :shock: )
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Yep, I don't know how this topic got into religion but the old cliche is worth repeating, "never discuss religion and politics."

There are a few topics I refuse to discuss simply because I get too vocal and usually end up getting pee'd off and pee'ing off others.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:There are a few topics I refuse to discuss simply because I get too vocal and usually end up getting pee'd off and pee'ing off others.
Hmmm, that's hard to imagine....
TunnelRat

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tom:

We gotta go picket Jeff....

Actually, I don't mind talking about religion or politics in the company of relatively reasonable people.

It's the unreasonable that are the problem.... :twisted:

(Webster: "Unreasonable - those who don't agree with you.")

:mrgreen:
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Well, actually I generally stay pretty reasonable...and UNvocal. Though in my younger years the passion was fairly hot.

Unless I'm having one of my infrequent spells of inebriation; I usually mind my manners fairly well.

There is still one topic that will get me fired up and I won't get started on it here. In a word, it starts with 'a' and ends with 'n'.

Like I said.....DON'T GET ME STARTED. :D