"Locked" in the glove box......?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gargoyle357

"Locked" in the glove box......?

Post by Gargoyle357 »

Would mounting a lockable box INSIDE the glove box, and locking my gun in it constitute "locked in the glove box"? It is "locked" and it is "in the glove box", so I was wondering how that would work.

I typically keep it locked in my locking console, but hear tell that a "console" is not a "glove box" and so not guaranteed to be acceptable.

So confused, so very confused.........

Anyway, your input is welcome. Local gun shop has a small lock box that I think I could mount in my non-locking glove box to provide a locked solution without dropping a steal-me box on my seat.

Thanks!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

the console is a No No. I wouldnt chance it to be honest.

I think you might be safe with the locked box in the glove box, but Im the type that would rather follow the law by the letter, and not take any chances from having an otherwise good day, end up bad thanks to some misinterpretations.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: "Locked" in the glove box......?

Post by Petrovich »

Gargoyle357 wrote:Would mounting a lockable box INSIDE the glove box, and locking my gun in it constitute "locked in the glove box"? It is "locked" and it is "in the glove box", so I was wondering how that would work.

I typically keep it locked in my locking console, but hear tell that a "console" is not a "glove box" and so not guaranteed to be acceptable.

So confused, so very confused.........

Anyway, your input is welcome. Local gun shop has a small lock box that I think I could mount in my non-locking glove box to provide a locked solution without dropping a steal-me box on my seat.

Thanks!
"A locked container" That's it.....it can be a vintage 'Monkees' metal lunchbox with a bicycle chain around it......
Greg Jones

Post by Greg Jones »

I would not want to risk it myself. As you know the current law that applies here states that the firearm must be in a closed, locked glove compartment or a case that is in plain sight and is locked. I would think that a locked case not in plain sight in an unlocked glove box would violate both provisions of the law.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Aaron wrote:the console is a No No. I wouldnt chance it to be honest.

I think you might be safe with the locked box in the glove box, but Im the type that would rather follow the law by the letter, and not take any chances from having an otherwise good day, end up bad thanks to some misinterpretations.
But,But! According to a previous poster the OSHP "cheat sheet" says a locked console is OK!
OHHKGuy

Post by OHHKGuy »

Here's My problem: I drive a Jeep. There are thw basic problems with this and CCW:

1) someone can basically unzip my car and get into it.
2) the glove compartment dosen't lock, but the console does.

So here's what I wound up doing: I bought a 16 ga. steel insert for the console...it'd take a mondo BFH to get into that thing, and that's where I keep my piece if I have to.

If I ever get stopped, the only thing I can do is hope that the LEO unserstands that I'm doing my best to comply with the spirit of the law...well, that and hope I can win in court!
RonS

Post by RonS »

Forcing someone to lock a gun in a plastic "lockable" glove box is one of the most absurd pieces of legislative logic I have ever seen. This kind of law does illustrate how these people think. The gun is in a locked container, so it's secure, right? Even if my 120 pound daugher could rip the door off with her bare hands without breaking a nail or a sweat! I guess now we know why they think signs will keep criminals from breaking the law.

I'd buy one of those steel consoles and put the gun and about six pair of gloves in it. By the same logic, that makes it a glove box, right?
The oppression of any man wounds the liberty of all men.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Cruiser wrote:

But,But! According to a previous poster the OSHP "cheat sheet" says a locked console is OK!
like I said, I do anything to avoid a 2 hour delay, so I follow the law to the letter when it comes to vehicles.
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Gargoyle357

Post by Gargoyle357 »

Aaron wrote:
Cruiser wrote:

like I said, I do anything to avoid a 2 hour delay, so I follow the law to the letter when it comes to vehicles.
Then you must not carry much.
Gargoyle357

Post by Gargoyle357 »

RonS wrote:I'd buy one of those steel consoles and put the gun and about six pair of gloves in it. By the same logic, that makes it a glove box, right?
Now THAT is following the letter of the law. Lame, but may be all it takes to satisfy our silly vehicle carry requirements. I like it, I like it a lot! :D
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I have a buddy at work that paid $120 to find out that the OSP that pulled him over thought that locked in his GMC trucks console was ok . Alright the 120 bucks was for the speeding ticket he got on the way to work but we tease him it was to see if the console was ok or not :twisted: That's not to say ever LEO or OSP is going to buy into that or not but with the advent of seeing here that a cheat sheet said it was ok has me feeling better about it. Personally I carry in a cross draw while in the vehicle 98% of the time but that is my preference.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Gargoyle357 wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Cruiser wrote: But,But! According to a previous poster the OSHP "cheat sheet" says a locked console is OK!
Then you must not carry much.
thats an odd response :shock:

I carry 100% of the time when I walk out the front door, and its usually on me indoors as well.

My Sig is on my hip at all times in the car. Never has it needed to go into the glove box. If I got somewhere where I couldnt take it in, I simply turn around and leave. Ive already passed on a few places, and handed them the card saying they lost my business. Fedex and Bestbuy being 2 places, and both have since removed their signs.

under what circumstances do you feel the need to keep your pistol in the glove box a lot? Point seems to be lost when its in there most of the time.

:D
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Gargoyle357

Post by Gargoyle357 »

Aaron wrote:My Sig is on my hip at all times in the car. Never has it needed to go into the glove box. If I got somewhere where I couldnt take it in, I simply turn around and leave. Ive already passed on a few places, and handed them the card saying they lost my business. Fedex and Bestbuy being 2 places, and both have since removed their signs.
Due to the loose and sloppy wording of the "plain sight" provision, many if not most, consider it too risky to mess with and would rather secure the gun in the "glove box" while driving. I am amazed that you consider a locking console too risky, but consider yourself capable of understanding exaclty what "plain sight" requires when they themselves appear to be at a loss.

My mistake.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ive been pulled over and its actually been a pleasant experience, talking with officers and such.

maybe if I was in a different area, alas Im Not. I tuck my shirt in slightly under my holster and off I go.
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Gargoyle357

Post by Gargoyle357 »

Aaron wrote:Ive been pulled over and its actually been a pleasant experience, talking with officers and such.

maybe if I was in a different area, alas Im Not. I tuck my shirt in slightly under my holster and off I go.
That is my preference as well, but I often get preached at about how I'm taking too big of a risk doing so till the law is clarified. Was just looking for another option, but it doesn't sound like my idea is any better than my locked console.

Going to the garage now to toss a pair of gloves in my console. :wink: