Watercraft carry law

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I took a liitle trip to the Divisions FAQ page http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/facts/faq.htm. Amazingly absent is any mention of Concealed Carry Policy. :evil:

Edited to fix formatting. - Cable
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Here is an e-mail I sent him a few moments ago. I will post the results IF I get some...

In the meantime, if those of you who have personal experiences to tell want to inform him of those circumstances, I think it would be worthwhile.

BB62

Todd,

Am I correct in thinking that you are the top dog of LEO's at ODNR? If not, may I ask you to forward this e-mail to him/her?

It has been a while now (*1 year+*) since our last e-mail exchange, and the subject of boat carry has been one of interest among my students and my fellow CHL holders. As of today, there is still nothing I can find on the website listed in your signature that definitively states what the law is with regard to boat carry of a handgun by Ohio licensed CHL holders.

Furthermore, both my students and fellow CHLers whom I keep in contact with have received conflicting information from officers, either over the phone, or in personal contact circumstances. This is frustrating, to say the very least - law abiding citizens carrying firearms subject not only to the demeanor, but also to the informed or uninformed officer insisting that the law is one way or the other.

I have copied in Mark Gribben of the AG's office in an attempt to put some closure on the matter. If I could ask both of you, would you determine what the law is, and would you each inform your subordinates, and also >> put it on your respective websites <<?
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Very good letter! Now let us all hope you/we get as good an answer. While snooping through the ODNR stuff on the web I looked at the new Hunting laws. The line about only having one firearm in possesion during gun/muzzle loading seasons it there but reference to Carrying Concealed while archery hunting is absent as is the old CCW Url that was on the site. Unless I missed it some place. I'm going to make an attempt to stop and pick up a new hunting booklet someplace this week if I can get the wife to drive me there.
BB62

Willy,

Post by BB62 »

Since you have personal experience, drop the guy (and/or Mark Gribben) a note too - mention mine or not, your choice. The more questions, the better.

MGribben@ag.state.oh.us

BB62
arpjoe

Posted on Watercraft Division ODNR website

Post by arpjoe »

Found this on the website:

Ohio Boat Operator's Guide,
Ohio Operating Laws,
Firearm Restrictions

"Firearm Restrictions
(ORC 1547.69, 2923.12)
Except for persons legally engaged in hunting, no person shall discharge a firearm while in or on a vessel.

Except for persons legally engaged in hunting OR persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, no person shall transport or have a loaded firearm in a vessel in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger.

Except for persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, no person shall transport or have a firearm in a vessel, unless it is unloaded and carried in a closed package, box, or case OR in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped.

This section does not apply to the possession or discharge of a United States Coast Guard approved distress signaling device when the device is possessed or used for the purpose of giving a distress signal. Such signaling devices shall only be loaded immediately prior to discharging a legal signal of distress.

No person shall operate or permit operation of a vessel in violation of this section."

As you can see the vessel requirements do not contain the motor vehicle carry restrictions. Those familar with the HB12 CHL law when it was passed will remember that the legislature only changed the vessel law to allow CHL holders to carry loaded firearms on vessels. They had the opportunity to add the same restrictions as the motor vehicle restrictions to the vessel restrictions but did not.

I have a boat and use my boat on Lake Erie. Since last year I have carried my firearm while boating, armed with the above knowledge. Motor vehicles are covered as separate ORC law which became a so-called compromise for the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
JLA

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..

Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p. 343
arpjoe

Website Link for Ohio Boat Operators Guide, Ohio Op Laws

Post by arpjoe »

JLA

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..

Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p. 343
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Joe thank you for digging that out. I also noticed the Splash Fact below it is incorrect as it says no person may carry concealed while hunting when in fact we can with the exception of when deer hunting or training dogs at night out of season. According to the Wildlife sections page. Hmm conflicting statements for different divisions of the same State department.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Hey, at least they got the part about ccw in a boat right. Last year's printed boater's guide was wrong and I had to point that out to them.

They also might be trying to not confuse waterfowl hunters. You can't have toxic (lead) ammunition with you while waterfowl hunting. Since very few handgun loads are non-toxic, this may just be an attempt to ward off accidental violations.

Yeah, I know that's thin. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt! :)
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
BB62

Re: Website Link for Ohio Boat Operators Guide, Ohio Op Laws

Post by BB62 »

Joe,

THAT took some real digging, or did it? If so, do you agree that they have made it lots easier to find?

Either way, all their officers need to start singing the same tune.

BB62
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

The ODNR used to have a "tab" for CCW on the wildlife section the first year. Personally I'd like to see that till things finish filtering down to pretty much the final agreed upon law and the CCW issue is out of the fish and game hearings. Then a nice final plain english translation of things would be really nice to see inserted some place. No interpretations needed. Cut and dried.
on_target

????

Post by on_target »

BB, Willy, Joe I too have been waiting for info from AG's office. Until then I believe that I can't go wrong with open carry and thats how I have been carrying on my boat.

Good Luck.
BB62

Re: ????

Post by BB62 »

on_target wrote:BB, Willy, Joe I too have been waiting for info from AG's office. Until then I believe that I can't go wrong with open carry and thats how I have been carrying on my boat.

Good Luck.
OT,

How, when and to whom did you pose your question?

If I don't get an answer within a week, I am going to write to my state rep and senator. It would be useful to know various people's attempts to get info.

BB62