Wtov9 Article - Another ignorant politician/LEO

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sixgunluvr

Wtov9 Article - Another ignorant politician/LEO

Post by sixgunluvr »

I saw this article and was wondering, since when is a Glock a law enforcement only weapon?
http://www.wtov9.com/news/17422622/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

{Title edited for clarity - JK]
Last edited by sixgunluvr on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Wtov9 Article

Post by charben »

sixgunluvr wrote:I saw this article and was wondering, since when is a Glock a low enforcement only weapon?
http://www.wtov9.com/news/17422622/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup. I was wondering the same thing...
What concerned police, Sheriff Fred Thompson said, is the weapon that was used: a Glock 9 mm handgun with a 17-round magazine, a gun that only law enforcement or government personnel are authorized to carry.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I just spoke with Sheriff Thompson. A very nice, personable guy. I told him I was calling with reference to an article that I saw and thought he might have been misquoted on. He wasn't. He said that he WAS under the impression that 17 round mags were for LEO/govt use only because "that's what it says on MY mags." I explained the AWB and how that law no longer exists and he said "I'm not up on those federal gun regulations". I empathized with him and said that I understood how it's difficult to keep up with.

I then led into a discussion about concealed carry. He was confused about that, too, but mentioned that he just got an email from the AG. I suggested that he look at it because of the changes that go into effect tomorrow. I asked if he would mind sending me a copy of that email "so that I can keep my students aware of what law enforcement is concerned with" and he agreed. I am awaiting a copy of that now. I will post as soon as I get it.

All in all, a good conversation with a small-town Sheriff.
Chris

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
sixgunluvr

Post by sixgunluvr »

Yikes!!! that's scarry! So if I would happen to get pulled over in Belmont county for a traffic violation and they see I have a Glock with a 17 round clip, i'm going to jail??? Law enforcement only??? Not up to date on Federal Law??? And this is coming from the Sheriff not some rookie deputy? :shock:
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

sixgunluvr wrote:Yikes!!! that's scarry! So if I would happen to get pulled over in Belmont county for a traffic violation and they see I have a Glock with a 17 round clip, i'm going to jail??? Law enforcement only??? Not up to date on Federal Law??? And this is coming from the Sheriff not some rookie deputy? :shock:
Well, he also thought you had to have the gun on your person in your car...as the only available way for a CHL'r to transport. I didn't spend TOO much time on that as I didn't want to continue to point out his lack of knowledge. But I DID encourage him to read the AG's email and familiarize himself with the new law since it "would be of great interest to your 52 Deputies".
Chris

dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

I'm not saying his lack of understanding is right.

At least he was willing to listen to and work with a concerned citizen. That's a lot more than some LEO's are willing to do. At least this guy can be educated.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If the chief law enforcement officer of that county* isn't any more up on the laws than that, what must some of the deppitees and town coppers be like around there? Sorry, unless Fred just lately became Sheriff, he should know better, or have someone who does know better do his public speaking for him. Ohio sheriffs have ample opportunity to take classes ans seminars related to their job, not to mention read up from the O.R.C. books they are obligated to have around the office.

* Yes technically the county coroner is a rung up the ladder from the sheriff power-wise, but let's not nitpick ol' Brian D.'s point, okay?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Just like on an other post, the media just can't seem to get the facts straight or the truth.
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Bersa45 wrote:Just like on an other post, the media just can't seem to get the facts straight or the truth.
Truth? You can't handle the Truth!!
:wink:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Bersa45 wrote:Just like on an other post, the media just can't seem to get the facts straight or the truth.
Um, well TECHNICALLY they DID get the facts right. They quoted the Sheriff...and quoted him ACCURATELY. They SHOULD be able to trust the Chief Law Enforcement official of the County! :roll:

BTW, still waiting on the fax with the AG's letter...
Chris

Samuel Adams

Post by Samuel Adams »

Brian D. wrote:If the chief law enforcement officer of that county* isn't any more up on the laws than that, what must some of the deppitees and town coppers be like around there? Sorry, unless Fred just lately became Sheriff, he should know better, or have someone who does know better do his public speaking for him. Ohio sheriffs have ample opportunity to take classes ans seminars related to their job, not to mention read up from the O.R.C. books they are obligated to have around the office.

* Yes technically the county coroner is a rung up the ladder from the sheriff power-wise, but let's not nitpick ol' Brian D.'s point, okay?
I grew up in Belmont County and worked at the county 911 center until I moved to Georgia four years ago. Fred Thompson was the Chief Deputy under the last Sheriff until they had a falling out. I just sent an email to one of his Patrol Sergeants and two St. Clairsville PD officers to see what was up with this comment.
WARNING: CZs MAY BE HABIT-FORMING.
Consult your doctor if nursing or pregnant.

Member GCO and Ohio State Buckeye supporter.
wright1

Re: Wtov9 Article - Another ignorant politician/LEO

Post by wright1 »

wow :roll: I just watched the 11:00pm news.The sheriff corrected his earlier statement saying the mags are not illegal in Belmont county but are outlawed in some cities like Cleveland,Columbus,Cinnci.,what happened to pre-exemption?
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

wright1 wrote:wow :roll: I just watched the 11:00pm news.The sheriff corrected his earlier statement saying the mags are not illegal in Belmont county but are outlawed in some cities like Cleveland,Columbus,Cinnci.,what happened to pre-exemption?
I'll have to call him again... :roll:
Chris

Ring

Post by Ring »

just think of all the guys with the Colt AR's that have the same thing on the gun....
Samuel Adams

Post by Samuel Adams »

The reply to my email about Sheriff Thompson's quote from his patrol sergeant.
Yep, he is as real as it can get for him.......someday it may get better.... has to get better dont see it getting much worse
WARNING: CZs MAY BE HABIT-FORMING.
Consult your doctor if nursing or pregnant.

Member GCO and Ohio State Buckeye supporter.