Toledo Blade: Anti college carry article

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rs172203

Post by rs172203 »

GroundChuk wrote:What I find fascinating about this is the fact that we have 18 year olds overseas fighting, and call them Soldiers, yet up until they are around 25 years old on campus they are....get this....KIDS!!

Why is a working class person, with no college an adult at 18, yet a college student a "kid" well into their twentys?

I guess a 16 year old who commits a violent crime and is charged as an adult just doesn't get the opportunity to be a "kid" into the twenties because they aren't in college yet. (Not defending any violent criminals, just being Devil's Advocate)

Anyone who reaches the age of 18 is an ADULT. I don't see why they must keep saying "kids". They are not.
As a 23 year old in college, I would have to agree. They still send my info home and tell me that I have no choice, even with the fact that I am paying for it all myself.
NRA basic pistol instructor, proud member of "The Gun Culture"
We must all fear evil men,
but there is another kind of evil
which we must fear most
and that is the indifference
of good men
Sloan441

Post by Sloan441 »

Sheer stupidity.

I attended OSU from 1982 to 1987 (yeah, five year plan). For three of those years--those where I was in off campus housing-- [deleted: Please read the TOS -- TR]

I suppose my fellow students might have felt "threatened." I'm not sure why that would be, since I wasn't interested in most of them. Quite frankly, I didn't care much what they thought about anything, much less about me. They weren't really my problem. I had enough issues with 400 level math.

Regardless, the Blade article is just so much garbage and really flies in the face of reality as I knew it during my college years. The author needs to get a clue.
nemonis

Post by nemonis »

rs172203 wrote:As a 23 year old in college, I would have to agree. They still send my info home and tell me that I have no choice, even with the fact that I am paying for it all myself.
Have you heard of the "Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act", also known as FERPA? This governs the release of educational records. In short, if you are claimed as a dependent on your parents' taxes your parents are entitled to your educational records, whether you like it or not. If you are NOT claimed as a dependent your parents cannot legally see your records without your express consent. There may well be a blanket "FERPA Release" form you signed when you enrolled without knowing what it was. That would authorize them to release things to your parents.

Finally, I agree with you that young adults on a college campus are no less trustworthy than elsewhere. Unfortunately, the legislature still thinks otherwise. Until that changes students, faculty, and staff alike on campuses will be disarmed.

God bless!
Wayne
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

GroundChuk wrote:What I find fascinating about this is the fact that we have 18 year olds overseas fighting, and call them Soldiers, yet up until they are around 25 years old on campus they are....get this....KIDS!!

Why is a working class person, with no college an adult at 18, yet a college student a "kid" well into their twentys?

I guess a 16 year old who commits a violent crime and is charged as an adult just doesn't get the opportunity to be a "kid" into the twenties because they aren't in college yet. (Not defending any violent criminals, just being Devil's Advocate)

Anyone who reaches the age of 18 is an ADULT. I don't see why they must keep saying "kids". They are not.
I had someone tell me was a "kid at college". I'm 35 years old. That is almost twice the age of an adult. Unsurprisingly, I raised hell about it.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

The Blade author needs a cup of this

Clearly a pinhead
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."
When my daughter started college she was 18. The college wanted all kinds of info about her parents, like income. She and we were not applying for any student loans of any kind. They kept saying that we had to supply it and if we didn't they would not accept her. After a few quotes of law and that my attorney would love to resolve it in court at no cost to me seemed to change their minds. She also never gave them a SS number. For some reason any documents she received that indicated a SS number showed her student ID number. Go figure.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Gee. I've never gotten a reply to my email to Mr. Walton... :roll:
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

Joe says:

My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Toledo Blade: Anti college carry article

Post by NavyChief »

The answers seem so obvious. Even if only 21-year-olds were initially able to carry weapons on campus, pressure would mount to lower the age to 18. It just seems to me to be someplace we don't want to go.
Well, they are allowed to vote. ...and serve honorably in our armed forces.
Like it or not, many college students drink. Often to excess. Do we want to put a beer in every hand and a gun in every pocket? Should sports fans be permitted to bring guns into a football stadium?
Actually, yes.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

rs172203 wrote:They still send my info home and tell me that I have no choice, even with the fact that I am paying for it all myself.
I can top that - I receive periodic mailings from the school I attend addressed "To the Parents of NavyChief." I'm 54. *Sigh*
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

NavyChief wrote:
rs172203 wrote:They still send my info home and tell me that I have no choice, even with the fact that I am paying for it all myself.
I can top that - I receive periodic mailings from the school I attend addressed "To the Parents of NavyChief." I'm 54. *Sigh*
I can top your top.
Years ago I got a parking ticket with my company car on the OSU campus while I was doing a service call in a chem. lab building. I gave the ticket to my customer who said that he would take care of it.
About six months later I get a letter at my apartment near Cleveland addressed to E. I. duPont de Nemours.
It said that if E. I. duPont de Nemours didn't pay the ten dollar parking fine owed the college would hold up E. I. duPont de Nemours' records and he wouldn't graduate.
I called my supervisor in Wilmington, Delaware, and asked him if E. I. duPont de Nemours was worried about graduating from OSU. He said just pay the fine and put it on my expense account.
I wish now that I had kept the letter from OSU.
:twisted:
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Glock and dagger

FireEMSPolice wrote:The Blade author needs a cup of this

Clearly a pinhead
Dude would need a keg of this....
Last edited by Glock and dagger on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-evan price

Glock and dagger

Re: Toledo Blade: Anti college carry article

NavyChief wrote:
The answers seem so obvious. Even if only 21-year-olds were initially able to carry weapons on campus, pressure would mount to lower the age to 18. It just seems to me to be someplace we don't want to go.
Well, they are allowed to vote. ...and serve honorably in our armed forces.
Like it or not, many college students drink. Often to excess. Do we want to put a beer in every hand and a gun in every pocket? Should sports fans be permitted to bring guns into a football stadium?
Actually, yes.
You know what, NavyCief. Someone pointed out to me that "no one is pushing for everyone to carry a gun. All we expect is that everyone is able to partake upon their own choosing." I think that is good, since even in the "Militia Act of 1792" it set aside for the conscinetious objectors to not be compelled to take up arms.

-evan price