CCW in Indiana?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CurtInOhio

CCW in Indiana?

Post by CurtInOhio »

Has anyone carried in Indiana using your Ohio license? The way I originally read it, it sounded like Indiana requires you to follow the laws of the state that issued your license, but I'm very willing to admit I may have read that wrong. I'm wondering about plain sight mostly, as I'll be outside and not have to worry about a lot of buildings. Any clues for the clueless would be appreciated.
Curt M
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

As a general rule, you are supposed to obey the laws of the state you are in. I suppose it is possible Indiana is different, but can't say for sure.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: CCW in Indiana?

Post by TunnelRat »

CurtInOhio wrote:Has anyone carried in Indiana using your Ohio license?
I haven't carried there since I got my Ohio license, but I used to carry there all the time using a coupla out of state, non-resident licenses. I never had a problem -- the LEOs tend to be quite used to citizens carrying.

I seem to remember that the law gets very screwy at firing ranges. Something about not being able to conceal a firearm on the range. You might wanna check that out at http://www.packing.org if you're going to be doing any shooting there.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

That was my thought, too, that you follow the laws of whichever state you're in... but I can't get to packing.org while I'm at work, but something in Indiana's law sounded different, more like you are to follow the laws of the state that issued your license. It sounded screwy to me, so the last time I was there, I just kept my gun in the glove box while driving.

I just wondered if anyone that travels there much had a take on it.
Curt M
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

I have carried in Indiana with my Ohio CHL. I carried according to IN laws. I don't know of a state that requires that you carry according to the issuing state's laws while in their state. Even if they did I would carry under NH laws since I have a NH nonres permit.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
SOLOLUCKY
*** Banned ***

Post by SOLOLUCKY »

Indiana and Ohio don't have reciprocity.
I believe carrying there is illegal under an ohio liscence.

ya'all better research it better or else yer in for a very rude awakening if ya come across the wrong cop over there.
man from nowhere
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

They don't have reciprocity because Ohio doesn't recognize Indiana's license, but Indiana recognizes Ohio's.
Curt M
BB62

Post by BB62 »

SOLOLUCKY wrote:Indiana and Ohio don't have reciprocity.

ya'all better research it better or else yer in for a very rude awakening if ya come across the wrong cop over there.
Eric,

www.packing.org would be a good site for you to become acquainted with.

BB62
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

SOLOLUCKY wrote:Indiana and Ohio don't have reciprocity.
You are quite correct: Indiana and Ohio don't have reciprocity. However, Indiana recognizes all state-issued carry permits, so carrying there with an Ohio CHL is indeed legal. Whereas carrying in Ohio on an Indiana ticket is not.
SOLOLUCKY wrote:ya'all better research it better or else yer in for a very rude awakening if ya come across the wrong cop over there.
May I refer you, sir, to http://www.packing.org for some research of your own...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

Wow.......this is great news, my brother lives in Richmond, In, and I travel there quite often, but unarmed as I thought I would be breaking the law.
I know someone above mentioned obeying Indiana laws when in Indiana, opposed to following Ohio's, but as I cross the border on 70, I should go from open carry to concealed(I wear an IWB holster)?
RedGlove04

Post by RedGlove04 »

Indiana is very CCW friendly. They will honor your Ohio CHL, and you can carry concealed in your vehicle. I was in Indy in May and did a lot of research on Indiana laws. Check out Packing.org. You'll be surprised at where all you are allowed to carry.
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

RedGlove04 wrote:Indiana is very CCW friendly. They will honor your Ohio CHL, and you can carry concealed in your vehicle. I was in Indy in May and did a lot of research on Indiana laws. Check out Packing.org. You'll be surprised at where all you are allowed to carry.
I took a look at Packing.Org, but couldn't find where it stated or even mentioned they would honour the Ohio CHL. I may just be missing something, plus I'm ultra paranoid and want to be sure before I carry over there.
netphoenix

Post by netphoenix »

I took a look at Packing.Org, but couldn't find where it stated or even mentioned they would honour the Ohio CHL.
That's what the color coded map is for :)

I carry in indiana regularly; Michigan as well. I'm more comfortable carrying in those states than I am in my own. The only screwy thing I've found is in Michigan; you cannot carry in "A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises".

I don't know how Michigan defines a "Tavern" or how a citizen is supposed to confidently know an establishment's primary source of income; i.e. a sports bar....

But if that's the biggest issue I have with Indiana & Michigan, then they're a cakewalk compared to Ohio.

-Chris
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

Now I feel stupid :oops: , I couldn't see the map for looking at it.

Nice one, so I can carry with confidence 8)

Many thanks
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Geezah wrote:Now I feel stupid :oops:
Well, that's the important thing...
TunnelRat