Ohio CHL not accepted at Walgreen

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

postaltulong

Ohio CHL not accepted at Walgreen

Post by postaltulong »

My husband dropped me off at the local Walgreen to pick him up some much needed sinus meds. Was not carrying my driving license and decided to show my CHL license instead for ID. The woman behind the counter did not blink, but said it was not on the approved list. That only a state issued ID or driver license could be used. That it was a Federal rule. I can be trusted with a gun but not sinus meds., go figure.

{Moved to the appropriate forum - JK}
DOCDC1

Post by DOCDC1 »

I haven't checked federal law, but as far as I can see, there is no approved list other than what the store may deem approved according to the ORC. There may be a definition in the ORC for "Identification", but again, I haven't found it yet, doesn't mean it's not there.

Here, the ORC just asks. that the patient be identified and does not specify what ID means.

PRESCRIPTION MONITORING PROGRAM (OARRS)

The state board of pharmacy may
establish and maintain a drug database
to monitor the misuse and diversion
of controlled substances and other
dangerous drugs the board includes
in the database pursuant to rules adopted
by the board.

[ORC Sec. 4729.75]

The board shall electronically collect
information from each pharmacy
licensed as a terminal distributor of
dangerous drugs who dispensed dangerous
drugs to residents of Ohio.
This information shall include:

(A) identification of the terminal distributor;

(B) patient identification;

(C) prescriber identification;

(D) date prescription issued by prescriber;

(E) date prescription was dispensed;

(F) indication of whether prescription dispensed is new or a refill;

(G) name, strength, and national drug code of drug dispensed;

(H) quantity of drug dispensed;

(I) Number of days' supply dispensed;

(J) serial or prescription number assigned by terminal distributor;

(K) source of payment for prescription.

[ORC Sec. 4729.77]

The board shall electronically collect
information from each wholesale distributor
of dangerous drugs that delivers drugs
to prescribers in this state. This information shall include:

(A) purchaser identification;

(B) identification of drug sold;

(C) date of sale;

(D) wholesale distributor's license number.

[ORC Sec. 4729.78]

The Board of Pharmacy may provide
information from the drug database to;

(a) a prescriber or pharmacist provided
that the purpose of the request is to
provide medical or pharmaceutical
treatment to the patient who is the
subject of the request,

(b) a government agency responsible
for the licensure, regulation, or discipline
of the prescriber relating to the prescriber
who is the subject of an active investigation,

(c) a grand jury subpoena regarding a
person who is the subject of an i
nvestigation of the grand jury,

(d) a federal, state, or local law enforcement
officer regarding a person who is the subject
of an active investigation by that government
agency, or

(e) to the individual seeking the individual's
own database information.

[ORC Sec. 4729.79]
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
jabeatty

Re: Ohio CHL not accepted at Walgreen

Post by jabeatty »

postaltulong wrote:My husband dropped me off at the local Walgreen to pick him up some much needed sinus meds. Was not carrying my driving license and decided to show my CHL license instead for ID. The woman behind the counter did not blink, but said it was not on the approved list. That only a state issued ID or driver license could be used. That it was a Federal rule. I can be trusted with a gun but not sinus meds., go figure.
Were you picking up a product that primarily consists of pseudoephedrine? (Many sinus meds would fit this description.)

If so, ORC 3715.05 is the issue. It requires that the pharmacist obtain proof of age, and your License to Carry a Concealed Handgun is not listed as an acceptable document for this purpose:
(4) “Proof of age” means a driver’s license, a commercial driver’s license, a military identification card, a passport, or an identification card issued under sections 4507.50 to 4507.52 of the Revised Code that shows a person is eighteen years of age or older.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
phirehawk

Post by phirehawk »

No one has ever accepted my CHL as proof of anything (other than ability to carry - and only then LEOs). It does certify that you are free of felonys, over 21 and a resident of the state of Ohio. The address on it is no less accurate than your DL. I believe you also must be a US citizen to obtain one. Shame people can't see the forest through the trees.
- Todd
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

And you have to be 21 yo.
jammer03

Post by jammer03 »

I think she said FEDERAL LAW and not Ohio law so ORCs don't matter.

Anyone have the Fed laws on this?

Joe
36 years teaching experience

NRA Certified:
Pistol
Rifle
Personal Protection In The Home
Chief Range Safety Officer
Refuse To Be A Victim
Ohio CCW Instructor, Warren, Ohio (Trumbull Co.)
OFCC member
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

jammer03 wrote:I think she said FEDERAL LAW and not Ohio law so ORCs don't matter.
The clerk/pharmacist could well be clueless about which law prohibits it... why would her error suddenly make the laws of this State irrelevant?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

Darn criminals ruin it for everyone. :evil:

The law was meant to slow meth production. I see just as many meth addicts as I did before, but the success of this particular law is defined not by the number of addicts, but by the number of raided labs. So a few bigger labs with more output could crank up production to replace several smaller labs that were shut down. :roll: BCII is involved in this, if that offers any reassurance. :lol:

It's not federal law, it's state law. Many states are doing similar things, however.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
mrbones

Post by mrbones »

A few years ago I misplaced my DL
After a week of not finding it I went to apply for a replacement. They would not accept my CCW for any reason not as picture ID not as proof of identity
not as proof of SS # (which was on it).

The only thing that they would accept was my birth certificate (which does not have a picture or my SS# on it) and my SS card.

Of course I could not find my BC either so I had to apply for it from Columbus. I had to fill out a form
anwser questions (that I thought) most any one could have anwsered and they sent me a new BC. After with my BC you can apply for another SS card.

Then I found my DL (between the seats in my van).

Why would they accept a piece of paper with very little info that any cleaver BG could get but not a CCW issuded from our state?
We put put up 2 stop signs at the
end of my street and they still
won't stop.I don't get it.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

postaltulong wrote:My husband dropped me off at the local Walgreen to pick him up some much needed sinus meds. Was not carrying my driving license and decided to show my CHL license instead for ID. The woman behind the counter did not blink, but said it was not on the approved list. That only a state issued ID or driver license could be used. That it was a Federal rule. I can be trusted with a gun but not sinus meds., go figure.

did they want your DL for age verification ? I know they use the cold meds in meth but if you were only buying 1 box why all the B.S. ?
I've bought cold meds with no problem before, but I use the Pharmacy in the next town and I live in "Hilljack" land, a small Pharmacy, so it may be because not many people use this small, private owned Pharmacy
Damn druggies screw simple cold meds up for everyone I guess :D
verbaltharhino

Post by verbaltharhino »

I've used my CHL as ID two times.

One time, I was just buying beer.

The other time, I was buying a firearm at Gander. I had my DL, but the address on it was an old address. The guy said my ID had to have the same address as on my background check. I presented my CHL, which had my current address. He said "OK" and off I went!
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

charles1198 wrote:Darn criminals ruin it for everyone. :evil:

The law was meant to slow meth production. I see just as many meth addicts as I did before, but the success of this particular law is defined not by the number of addicts, but by the number of raided labs. So a few bigger labs with more output could crank up production to replace several smaller labs that were shut down. :roll: BCII is involved in this, if that offers any reassurance. :lol:

It's not federal law, it's state law. Many states are doing similar things, however.
All that has happened is production of meth has moved south of the U.S. border....

Addicts are still addicted, the drug justs costs a little bit more and now it funds illegal border crossings also...
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
tep0583

Post by tep0583 »

jburtonpdx wrote:
charles1198 wrote:Darn criminals ruin it for everyone. :evil:

All that has happened is production of meth has moved south of the U.S. border....

Addicts are still addicted, the drug justs costs a little bit more and now it funds illegal border crossings also...
We're "outsourcing" meth production now?

:D
randy

Post by randy »

mrbones wrote: Why would they accept a piece of paper with very little info that any cleaver BG could get but not a CCW issuded from our state?
I asked that question to the lady behind the counter the last time I had my DL renewed. Particularly since my SS "card" was paper and printed on a dot matrix printer in 1974. She told me they could easily tell if it was a fake.

I managed not to laugh in her face.

Had the same go around with them years ago when they would accept an active duty military ID (green) but not a dependents (tan) ID. Printed and issued by the same people at the same desk on base. And one hell of a lot more secure than any state DL.

Oh well. If they could think creatively and make informed decisions using logic they probably wouldn't be in that job. Some people are best suited and most comfortable doing jobs where everything is written down and they don't have to take responsibility.
Randy, NRA Life member, OFCC Member
911: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

If not the State of Ohio, whom DID she think issued you your license, The Republic of Kazakhstan?