Ohio CHL not accepted at Walgreen

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hardwarz

Post by hardwarz »

I use to manage a bar. I know in the State of Ohio, for alcohol purchases, only Ohio State ID (must say Ohio Sate Identification Card on the top) or any state driver's license is valid for alcohol purchase.

Military ID, passports, etc are not valid ID for purchase of Alcohol.

If you accept non valid forms of ID to check age and it turns out that it's a fake or not that person's ID and you served them, you are liable for all penalties.

If you accept a valid form of ID approved by the state of Ohio for purchase of alcohol and it turns out it's fake or not that person's ID, you are not liable, but the person who's ID it is is liable.

I'm not saying that your purchase of sinus medication is the same thing, but they might be going by alcohol laws for those sales too.

BTW, I have a pet peeve. People that show their miltary IDs. I never showed my military ID off base. It's not a valid form of ID anywhere. These young guys want special privilages because they are in the military, but I was in and never expected anything. I'm kinda annoyed with the spoiled younger generation. (and I'm only 36 y/o) When I was a manager, I'd let the military guys/girls in with a military ID, but I'd also say that Ohio law states that they can not use it for purchase of alcohol. Sometimes I'd get an, "OH... ok... thanks" And sometimes I'd get, {deleted - JK}! I'm in the military." So was I....

Hardwarz
Last edited by hardwarz on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When trying to prove self defense to an LEO, the statement "I had him in the crosshairs of my scope" should never come out of your mouth.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Kazakhstan is the greatest coun-try in the world. All the other countries are run by lit-le girls. Kazakhstan is #1 exporter of potassium, other central-Asian countries have inferior potassium...
Poop!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

verbaltharhino wrote:I've used my CHL as ID two times.

One time, I was just buying beer.

The other time, I was buying a firearm at Gander. I had my DL, but the address on it was an old address. The guy said my ID had to have the same address as on my background check. I presented my CHL, which had my current address. He said "OK" and off I went!
When I had my FFL interview the ATF Investigators told me that an Ohio CHL is a valid form of ID to buy a firearm because it is a State Issued Photo ID.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
randy

Post by randy »

hardwarz wrote: BTW, I have a pet peeve. People that show their miltary IDs. I never showed my military ID off base. It's not a valid form of ID anywhere.
That depends on where you are and what you are doing.

When I was stationed in Hawaii, we were issued Kamahina (local) stickers to place on the back of our ID's. When shopping, renting dive equipment, or attending an event locally you showed your ID with that sticker and you got charged the same price as the locals, not what the tourists paid. Hawaii was expensive enough that every little bit helped.

I've also been to places where showing my ID off base (often in places where there was no base) allowed me to rent a car or write a check where my out of state DL would have gotten me a "Sorry Charlie" or required a hefty deposit.

My ID plus a copy of my PCS to a local base orders allowed me to buy firearms in several states where I would not have been able to otherwise.

And when my Iowa DL expired when I was stationed in Texas, I was often required to display my military ID with my DL to avoid being cited for driving on an expired license. (IA counted Active Duty outside the state as valid no matter what the date on the DL, until you physically returned to the state to get a new one).

But all of these were examples of courtesy extended, not of any special right I had based on my active duty status. And you're right that one should never expect or demand to be treated in a special way, especially in situation such as yours where you have very specific state laws dictating what you could and could not accept.
Randy, NRA Life member, OFCC Member
911: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
DOCDC1

Post by DOCDC1 »

postaltulong

I've been a bit busy and have not had much time do do any research. I spent about an hour going through the fed law and looks like there is nothing there also as far as specific ID. Usually in something like this, the feds will require let's say an ID, but leave it up to the individual state as to what constitutes said ID since therearefifty of them out there. Or, they may as the state might, leave it vague then stick it in an administrative rule somewhere which is a whole lot easier to change than putting it in direct legislation which has to be obviously voted on. I have a million of these to follow that aren't specifically in the ORC, or fed law, but still hold the same weight.

Ok, I can't find in Ohio law the definition of the ID, so it might be tucked somewhere and I don't see it. I know in Indiana the code there has specific ID's that the state requires, but apparently Ohio does not as far as I can find.

Someone here may find it and post it for you. Until then, assume the clerk made it up.

Doc
(I'm really tired so excuse the rambling prose)
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

I use my CHL as ID alot. Nobody has said anything to me yet.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Well I would guess that the "list" of accepted forms of ID has just not been updated to include the Ohio CHL. It is KIND of new hehe

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

The pseudoephedrine law was passed in 2006 (SB 53). CHLs weren't THAT new!

The stores want your ID not just for your date of birth, but for your Drivers license number. They track how much Sudafed you buy, and the amount in supposed to be limited to nine grams in a 30-day period unless you have a prescription.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
CZAR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CZAR »

The sign at the Motor Vehicle Registrars office had CHL listed as a valid form of ID.
farblue

Post by farblue »

One of our customers happens to fall under MARSEC regulations. On my last visit there, they had just implemented a new security policy which required two forms of identification for access. I handed over my DL and CHL; they accepted it, but I sure did get a funny look from the security guards at the gate.
geniusiknowit

Re:

Post by geniusiknowit »

mrbones wrote:A few years ago I misplaced my DL
After a week of not finding it I went to apply for a replacement. They would not accept my CCW for any reason not as picture ID not as proof of identity
not as proof of SS # (which was on it).
The only thing that they would accept was my birth certificate (which does not have a picture or my SS# on it) and my SS card.
I just got my license renewed last month. I used my CHL as one of the two forms of ID. But I think the lady processing things for me was a bit confused, as she initially thought the CHL was my ID as a LEO. I explained to her what it was, and she still accepted it. So I think it's probably not that difficult to get an ID with falsified documents.... :roll:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re:

Post by carmen fovozzo »

hardwarz wrote:I use to manage a bar. I know in the State of Ohio, for alcohol purchases, only Ohio State ID (must say Ohio Sate Identification Card on the top) or any state driver's license is valid for alcohol purchase.

Military ID, passports, etc are not valid ID for purchase of Alcohol.

If you accept non valid forms of ID to check age and it turns out that it's a fake or not that person's ID and you served them, you are liable for all penalties.

If you accept a valid form of ID approved by the state of Ohio for purchase of alcohol and it turns out it's fake or not that person's ID, you are not liable, but the person who's ID it is is liable.

I'm not saying that your purchase of sinus medication is the same thing, but they might be going by alcohol laws for those sales too.

BTW, I have a pet peeve. People that show their miltary IDs. I never showed my military ID off base. It's not a valid form of ID anywhere. These young guys want special privilages because they are in the military, but I was in and never expected anything. I'm kinda annoyed with the spoiled younger generation. (and I'm only 36 y/o) When I was a manager, I'd let the military guys/girls in with a military ID, but I'd also say that Ohio law states that they can not use it for purchase of alcohol. Sometimes I'd get an, "OH... ok... thanks" And sometimes I'd get, {deleted - JK}! I'm in the military." So was I....

Hardwarz
..........Hardwarz, when were you in the military, if you don't mind me asking ? We are at WAR now. So anyone in the military gets special treatment, at least from me they do.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Titanium

Re: Ohio CHL not accepted at Walgreen

Post by Titanium »

When I was sick a couple weeks ago, I mistakenly handed my CHL to the pharmacy clerk. She looked at it and said she couldn't use it because they swipe the drivers license through a card reader linked to their computer. I realized that I handed her the wrong I.D. and gave her my DL, which she swiped. She didn't bat an eye at the CHL, and was understanding of my oversight.
Signa Inferre
(Latin: to advance the Standard)
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Titanium wrote:When I was sick a couple weeks ago, I mistakenly handed my CHL to the pharmacy clerk. She looked at it and said she couldn't use it because they swipe the drivers license through a card reader linked to their computer. I realized that I handed her the wrong I.D. and gave her my DL, which she swiped. She didn't bat an eye at the CHL, and was understanding of my oversight.
Hmmmm. I will not allow someone to swipe my DL...just seems a bit "Big Brother" to me. I know trying to stay "off the grid" is futile but I am not going to just roll over.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

charben wrote:
Titanium wrote:When I was sick a couple weeks ago, I mistakenly handed my CHL to the pharmacy clerk. She looked at it and said she couldn't use it because they swipe the drivers license through a card reader linked to their computer. I realized that I handed her the wrong I.D. and gave her my DL, which she swiped. She didn't bat an eye at the CHL, and was understanding of my oversight.
Hmmmm. I will not allow someone to swipe my DL...just seems a bit "Big Brother" to me. I know trying to stay "off the grid" is futile but I am not going to just roll over.
I thought the same thing. But, I was sicker than a dog and needed to be able to function. The receipt even listed how much I had purchased and told me how much more I was legally allowed to get. I'm guessing most of the bigger chains are doing the same thing. Now that we are discussing it, I can't remember if it was CVS or Walgreens. :oops: :roll: Oh well, either way...I'm on "the List." That's ok, I added myself to another list today buying my wife her new M&P 9mm Compact for Christmas! :mrgreen:
Signa Inferre
(Latin: to advance the Standard)