Attorney General's office for answers about handgun laws?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Attorney General's office for answers about handgun laws?

Post by oldmic »

Has anyone ever contacted the Attorney General's office for the particular state where they plan to travel? Were they helpful?

I've checked packing.org and their links - but the answer to my question is still unclear.

I'm travelling to North Carolina, and plan to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway (Federal land). So far, I've read that I cannot carry concealed, but I can't determine if simply transporting the weapon, locked and unloaded in a trunk or saddlebag is legal.

Any suggestions on how to get definitive answers?
Scott

Re: Attorney General's office for answers about handgun laws

Post by Scott »

oldmic wrote:Has anyone ever contacted the Attorney General's office for the particular state where they plan to travel? Were they helpful?

I've checked packing.org and their links - but the answer to my question is still unclear.

I'm travelling to North Carolina, and plan to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway (Federal land). So far, I've read that I cannot carry concealed, but I can't determine if simply transporting the weapon, locked and unloaded in a trunk or saddlebag is legal.

Any suggestions on how to get definitive answers?
Go to http://packing.org if you haven't already. The pages for individual states have lots of info, plus usually a link to that state's AG page. What may be most helpful are the email addresses of knowledgeable individuals that are supplied for situations just like yours, I would imagine (particularly since the AG's office may be on 'public employee time' and not get back to you quickly enough)!
Blip!
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

Thanks Scott, appreciate the response.

To the ADMIN - I meant this post to be placed within another thread titled "how do you keep up with laws in other states". Guess I pushed the wrong button! I'd appreciate it if you would move it over there.

Thanks,

BTW, here's a link to the Attorney General website for all fifty states. I checked many of them and they seem current.

I'm checking on carrying on laws in National Parks and Forests during my trip to North Carolina next week. Looks like National Forest are OK in North Carolina. National Park carry is verboten, but it seems you are allowed to transport thru National Parks if the firearm is stored broken down, in a locked case, with ammunition separate.

Here's a link I found for Federal Firearm Laws - for what it's worth, it may help the next guy gather information. Of course I can't vouch for the veracity or how current the info. is.

http://www.nraila.org/federalfirearms.h ... %20Forests
Scott

Post by Scott »

Here's a link I found for Federal Firearm Laws - for what it's worth, it may help the next guy gather information. Of course I can't vouch for the veracity or how current the info. is.
Thanks for the link! Is the other one available too?
Blip!
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

Scott wrote:
Thanks for the link! Is the other one available too?
LOL, man I'm battin' a thousand!

http://www.shgresources.com/agencies/cj/
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

oldmic wrote:...but I can't determine if simply transporting the weapon, locked and unloaded in a trunk or saddlebag is legal.
Unless there has been a recent change in federal law, you are allowed to carry an unloaded, cased weapon in your trunk (or someplace such that you can't reach it without leaving the vehicle).

In order to qualify for this mode of carry you must be able to possess your firearm legally in the state your journey begins and in the state your journey is to end.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

tommcnaughton wrote:
oldmic wrote:...but I can't determine if simply transporting the weapon, locked and unloaded in a trunk or saddlebag is legal.
Unless there has been a recent change in federal law, you are allowed to carry an unloaded, cased weapon in your trunk (or someplace such that you can't reach it without leaving the vehicle).

In order to qualify for this mode of carry you must be able to possess your firearm legally in the state your journey begins and in the state your journey is to end.
Thanks for that, Tom; That seems to reflect everything else I've been able to find. The only difference, as noted below calls for the firearm to be "broken down" - so I'll pull the slide off before before I encase and lock it.

Code of Federal Regulations Title 36 "Parks, Forests, Public Property"

NOTE: The National Parks are administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The National Forests are administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Generally, firearms are prohibited in National Parks but permitted in National Forests.

Firearms being transported through a Park must be rendered "inoperable": unloaded, cased, broken down (if possible) and out of sight. The ranger or gate attendant must be notified of the presence of firearms upon entering the Park.

Firearms and hunting are permitted in National Forests in accordance with state law. Firearms are prohibited in any National Forest designated a game refuge or wildlife preserve except where authorized by the Forest Service.Violation of state firearms laws is prohibited in all National Forests.

Regulations concerning firearms in National parks and Forests may be found in Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations.