Party in the Park--Open Air Assembly of Persons?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scott

Party in the Park--Open Air Assembly of Persons?

Post by Scott »

What's to stop some zealous law enforcement official from coming to our little picnic JBT style and arresting those who are carrying?

If the picnic itself is not an OAAP, would it become one once everyone assembles for the speech by the AG?

Just thinking out loud here...
Blip!
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Open Air Assembly?

Post by rickt »

I'm not aware of any section of the law that forbids carry in an open air assembly. Carry in city, regional and state parks is legal on Ohio just as long as one does not enter any buildings (like a rest room) that may be in the park.

That's why OFCC is suing the City of Clyde, their ordnance forbiding carry in the city park is a violation of the Section 9 preemption. (When is Judge Sargent going to issue his ruling anyway? I am hoping he will do it before July 30th, then we can talk about it at the picnic.)

There is a section that forbids carry in an "open air arena" that has a license for dispensing alcohol. Maybe that's what you are thinking of?

"[§ 2923.12.1] § 2923.121. Illegal possession of firearm in liquor permit premises.

(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued. "
weakhand luke

2nd annual...

Post by weakhand luke »

Go, and have a good time. Remember, this is the second annual. Might even win a cool prize! (I won the XD357 last year, and it turns out to be my fav carry piece!)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Coming to our Picnic to make specious arrests would be pretty silly. No one busted any of our Open carry Marches, did they?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I am not letting any of this stop me from going, I'll have you know!
Curious: I wonder how many will be carrying open?
Blip!
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Scott wrote: Curious: I wonder how many will be carrying open?
I don't remember anyone carrying openly last year.

A few people were wearing fanny packs though, which to a fellow CHL holder is practically the same thing! :lol:
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
CMiddleton

cannot even begin to imagine the storm

Post by CMiddleton »

Hypothetical scenario:

Overzealous cop decides to bust some CHLers for using the restroom at PITP.

Petro or someone from his office sees the arrest; and sees there is no merit.

Cop's boss gets chewed out by Petro's office.

Cop gets reprimanded.

No cop in his right mind would do something so stupied to incur a sh*tstorm that would be rained down on him by the attorney general's office.

I am anxious to see how the media covers PITP.
It can be difficult to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your butt in alligators.
Linda

Post by Linda »

In response to Scott's comment about wondering if anyone will open carry at the picnic...,remember, this is a gathering for the Ohioans for "Concealed Carry", not open carry. I do not recall anyone open carrying last year.
I too, was concerned last year about LEO's and the media, including Chad's least favorite lady on earth, Toby Hoover showing up. But it was very uneventful, which was good! I have a much greater comfort zone this year, so I am not concerned about that. Believe it or not, it wasn't a gathering of rednecks, but just average people like you and me. Relax and come out to the PITP part 2.[/u]
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Scott

Post by Scott »

Believe it or not, it wasn't a gathering of rednecks, but just average people like you and me.
No rednecks?! But I already paid for my tickets!! :lol:

Maybe somebody ought to invite Toby Hoover to the PITP--it might be therapeutic and help in overcoming her hoplophobia. :wink:
Not that I'm volunteering to share my table with her, but I suppose I could be bought off to "take one for the team" :lol:
Blip!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Toby has reserved seating right next to Chad Baus!!!! You know, they're like "family"! Teeheehee. :lol: Perhaps better yet, she has reserved seating at the grill, make that ON the grill, right on the ole spit!! :twisted:
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Linda wrote:Toby has reserved seating right next to Chad Baus!!!! You know, they're like "family"! Teeheehee. :lol: Perhaps better yet, she has reserved seating at the grill, make that ON the grill, right on the ole spit!! :twisted:
Surely you jest??

I know...yer name isn't shirley.
JJones

Re: Party in the Park--Open Air Assembly of Persons?

Post by JJones »

Scott wrote:What's to stop some zealous law enforcement official from coming to our little picnic JBT style and arresting those who are carrying?

If the picnic itself is not an OAAP, would it become one once everyone assembles for the speech by the AG?

Just thinking out loud here...
Scott,
I am still confused as to were you are coming from thinking that there would be any issue with the party in the park. And what is this Open Air Assembly of Persons? You may be confusing another state's laws with Ohio's, as there is nothing which prohibits carrying in a crowd outside.

As for a rouge cop trying to make a name for him self. There will be enough state and local officals (on there on time of course), lawyers, and police officers that I would not worry, as long as you are not breaking laws.

Jacques.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Linda wrote:Toby has reserved seating right next to Chad Baus!!!! You know, they're like "family"! Teeheehee. :lol: Perhaps better yet, she has reserved seating at the grill, make that ON the grill, right on the ole spit!! :twisted:
Toby and Chad are TIGHT - and I do mean TIGHT!

When Toby eats spicy food, Chad gets indigestion!

Seriously, though, I thought I read something by OFCC's legal beagle last year that there was some law in the environs of the Picnic which had not been specifically struck down by our illustrious OSC - so that open carry there was to be done at one's own risk. Anyone remember (or want to correct my memory?) what I am thinking of?

I was unable to attend due to the event being Labor Day weekend (can anyone say "expected scheduling conflict"?) but am looking forward to this year!

BB62
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Can't make it, but you guys have fun....

However, I'm on a diuretic.

Why do you do if you need to use the bathroom there?

Run for the BP station down the block?

Please tell me I missed something....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Ukraine Train

Post by Ukraine Train »

Does a port-o-potty count as a building? LOL Could rent a couple of those....