Home carry

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Michael Courtney

Home carry

Post by Michael Courtney »

A lot of people complain about the places they aren't allowed to carry, fair enough. But how many people carry in the home? Home carry has been allowed even before the recent CHL law, and is still allowed without a CHL. About 1/3 of all violent attacks occur in the home. Having a gun stored in a safe is VERY SLOOOOOOOOW when an attack occurs. Having a gun stashed in a hidden location is useless if the attacker cuts off your path to the gun. Hiding guns can also present a safety problem for your own or visiting children. Keeping a gun on your person at all times in the home prevents all these suboptimal situations.

Home carry also has the advantage that you never forget to take your gun with you because you've already got it. It also works well for me because I frequently transition from home to the yard (either to play with the kids or to do chores) and then transition from the yard to leaving without going back inside. If I didn't carry in home, I'd often end up outside unarmed which would inevitably lead to running an errand or two unarmed because "I'm just going to the corner store, why bother to go back inside to get thei piece."

A sidearm is like an insurance policy. Would you want a life insurance policy that didn't cover you at home?

Michael Courtney
Every day is 9/11 for unborn Americans.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Its an open carry state, so up until I got my permit, Id open carry at indoor/outdoor shooting ranges and in my yard, and relatives yards for parties and what not.

Im sitting here at Noon, typing and yes the Sig is on my hip. I don't do this all the time though, Id say I carry inside about 40% of the time.

As far as a Safe goes, the 2 firearms I have ready for a home invasion are next to the bed. The Sig is in a nightstand drawer a foot away, the tactical 12 gauge is on the opposite side of the bed.

When I go out, the shotgun gets locked up in the safe, and the Sig goes with me obviously, leaving no guns to be stolen while Im gone. Ive heard too many stories about a homeowner coming home to find a burglar in mid job, and gets shot with his/her own gun. I'll be damned if I let that happen to me, thats the biggest plus for CCW in my opinion.

You can enter your house after being gone with confidence knowing in such a situation, you wont be useless and unarmed.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

When at home the handgun is either on my person, or within arm's reach, as much as humanly possible.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Michael Courtney

Post by Michael Courtney »

Aaron wrote: Ive heard too many stories about a homeowner coming home to find a burglar in mid job, and gets shot with his/her own gun. I'll be damned if I let that happen to me, thats the biggest plus for CCW in my opinion.

You can enter your house after being gone with confidence knowing in such a situation, you wont be useless and unarmed.
This is a huge reason to always bring a gun with you. Even if you're going somewhere relatively safe, you never really know what's waiting for you inside.

Michael Courtney
Every day is 9/11 for unborn Americans.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

A home invasion is something I worry about. Practically all cases of home invasion involve more than one perp and they are looking for dope, cash and guns.

I don't have any dope, and very little cash, but I do have guns. This is something that should concern all of us.

I've taken a few steps, including the fact I do carry at home.

All my guns are locked in a safe. I also have video cameras at every entrance to the house the driveway, and the garage. I also have a nice doggy who loves his daddy but will rip the leg off anyone who is of a menacing nature.

So, if you get past the dog, the cameras will get you. If you keep on coming I'll get you. If you get past me then you get to figure out how to open the safe.