no gun sign in police dept parking lot

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

no gun sign in police dept parking lot

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

They are building a new police station/ jail here in SIDNEY..There is a huge sign on the grounds ( not in a building) stating that guns are not permitted on the property....how is this legal since it is puiblic property and NOT a government BUILDING? It is a construction site so maybe thats how but it seems illegal to me.
BTW its GREAT to have this forum finally.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

In Shelby County, when did legal and CCW have anything in common? Isn't that where the Sherriff did some things that somehow didn't result in an indictment?
Curt M
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Following the ODOT lead!

Post by Cruiser »

ODOT is doing this on all of the Highway maintanance garage's. I had lengthly email conversations with the ODOT lawyer who maintains the signs are there (signs are on the entrance gate) to "warn" you that you cannot carry in the "buildings". I knew that eventially other Government facilities would follow ODOT's lead. In other words if it is OK for them it must be OK for us!
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

CurtInOhio wrote:In Shelby County, when did legal and CCW have anything in common? Isn't that where the Sherriff did some things that somehow didn't result in an indictment?
Yes I was one of the people whose name and ADDRESS was printed in the paper..a CLEAR felony by the sheriff..along with 80 some ( I believe) othe folks each one a felony...They found there was not enough evidence for an indictment.
OHIOSTEVE

Re: Following the ODOT lead!

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Cruiser wrote:ODOT is doing this on all of the Highway maintanance garage's. I had lengthly email conversations with the ODOT lawyer who maintains the signs are there (signs are on the entrance gate) to "warn" you that you cannot carry in the "buildings". I knew that eventially other Government facilities would follow ODOT's lead. In other words if it is OK for them it must be OK for us!
SOOO the signs are NOT legal...just as I thought.
PowerMac

Post by PowerMac »

Sneak a "No Donuts" sign on one of them! :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

Well, in my opinion, they can have all the signs they want, but that does not make them enforceable. Download and print a copy of AG Petro's opinion about .gov property and send it to them with a kind letter reminding them that the law only prohibits concealed carry in .gov buildings.
jrw

Post by jrw »

The Muskingum County Fairgrounds are posted on fences and gates. Have sent the ags opinion as well as copies of the state of ohio financial report showing they receive both state and county funds and are considered a government enity. Copies were sent to the County Commissioers,Prosicuter and Sheriffs office. they wont reply why they are still posted and have not removed the signs. Doesn't seem right they can operate above the law. :?
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: no gun sign in police dept parking lot

Post by jgarvas »

OHIOSTEVE wrote:They are building a new police station/ jail here in SIDNEY..There is a huge sign on the grounds ( not in a building) stating that guns are not permitted on the property....how is this legal since it is puiblic property and NOT a government BUILDING? It is a construction site so maybe thats how but it seems illegal to me.
BTW its GREAT to have this forum finally.
Its very possible that the property was quit-claim transfered to the builder so that they could get construction loans. During the building phase, the builder may have the right to prohibit any vendor, delivery agent, or sub-contractor from entering the construction site armed.

We've had questions like this come into info@ofcc.net and I believe this was the case.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Ring

Post by Ring »

illegal sign, ignore it...
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Ring wrote:illegal sign, ignore it...
He had better not if Jeff is right. He needs to do some more investigation.

Ring, this is a discussion forum. I've noticed that you have made several quick posts chime in posts that don't really spice up the discussion. Quick four word lines don't really add much. If you have any thoughts or opinions please share them with us and explain them. We want to read not only what everyone thinks, but why they think it. Thanks.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

drove by yesterday and the sign seems to be gone...I am assuming that the quit claim thing was correct.