Rep. James Aslanides, proposed bill........

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Geezah

Rep. James Aslanides, proposed bill........

Post by Geezah »

Just got this off the Dayton Daily news,
The bill would also:

• Eliminate the requirement that a permit-holder in a vehicle keep the gun in plain sight if stopped by law enforcement.

• More clearly define a loaded gun.

• Permit off-duty law enforcement officers to carry a concealed gun at any time.

Prohibit noncitizens from getting concealed-carry licenses.
Link

Well as a resident alien who has lived in the US for 8yrs going on 9, who's father is a natralized US citizen, who's Grandfather was an American GI who was a rear gunner in the B17s during WW2. How will this affect me?

A quick background on my status, after living here for 5yrs I could have applied for citizenship, after being married for 3yrs I could apply for citizenship, well long story short, I have recently started the process to become a citizen, but it concerns me that there are other law abiding resident alien firearm owners that may be out of luck because of this bill
valian

absolutely stupid

Post by valian »

Yes, I agree. What is Aslinades big deal with non-citizens having a permit to carry . It has not been a problem in any other state that allows it. Why introduce more stupid things into the law while claiming to try to fix it? The right to defend oneself is God-given so applies to everyone whether a citizen or not.
I guess that a woman from another country who is married to an American and must wait many years to become a citizen should not have the right to defend her life and honor in the meantime.
I will be writing to Aslanades about this one.

Valian
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

It would certainly affect me. I've been living as a resident alien in the US for the last 10 years. The immigration process certainly provides a better background check than the application for a CCW license.

I otherwise agree with what has been posted here: Any law-abiding resident should have the ability to defend himself/herself.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Rep. James Aslanides, proposed bill........

Post by TunnelRat »

The bill would also:

• Eliminate the requirement that a permit-holder in a vehicle keep the gun in plain sight if stopped by law enforcement.
That would be a BIG help. Of course, it shouldn't be just when stopped by law enforcement...
I'm not sure what's up with that, but definitions are often a good thing -- if they are clearly done.
• Permit off-duty law enforcement officers to carry a concealed gun at any time.
Nope, sorry, I respect and appreciate LEO's -- they put their lives on the line for me everday and I know it -- but when they get treated differently with regard to concealed carry than do the ordinary citizens, we lose their support for changes in the law. Far better to have LEO's join their voices to our own rather than to grant them exemptions not available to the law abiding citizen. If the police were treated like we are, perhaps the FOP wouldn't be so quick to oppose us all the time....
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

Geezah wrote:Just got this off the Dayton Daily news,
The bill would also:

Link

Well as a resident alien who has lived in the US for 8yrs going on 9, who's father is a natralized US citizen, who's Grandfather was an American GI who was a rear gunner in the B17s during WW2. How will this affect me?

A quick background on my status, after living here for 5yrs I could have applied for citizenship, after being married for 3yrs I could apply for citizenship, well long story short, I have recently started the process to become a citizen, but it concerns me that there are other law abiding resident alien firearm owners that may be out of luck because of this bill

This is a prevention as far as resident aliens from what I can see. It prevents people who wish to cause terrorism to the law abiding people. I am not saying that all is fair in this idea. However, would you rather be killed by a terrorist who has a gun or would you rather file for citzenship and get approved?

I have had to make sacrafices working with numismatics because of 9/11. Aren't you willing to follow through?

Will
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

williampelish wrote: [...]

This is a prevention as far as resident aliens from what I can see. It prevents people who wish to cause terrorism to the law abiding people. I am not saying that all is fair in this idea. However, would you rather be killed by a terrorist who has a gun or would you rather file for citzenship and get approved?

I have had to make sacrafices working with numismatics because of 9/11. Aren't you willing to follow through?

Will
I don't quite get in what way this would prevent terrorism. None of the 9/11 terrorists was a permanent resident , and resident aliens are people who want to permanently live in this country and/or are on their way to become citizens.

They have to undergo background checks to reach that status and have abide by the law even more so than citizens in order not to risk deportation. This is a group that is not more prone to crime than the general population.

I can see how you don't want tourists, students, or foreigners with non-immigrant visas not to carry, because you know relatively little about them. But that is ultimately a different question.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Rob-Black99RT

Post by Rob-Black99RT »

tommcnaughton wrote: • Permit off-duty law enforcement officers to carry a concealed gun at any time.

Nope, sorry, I respect and appreciate LEO's -- they put their lives on the line for me everday and I know it -- but when they get treated differently with regard to concealed carry than do the ordinary citizens, we lose their support for changes in the law. Far better to have LEO's join their voices to our own rather than to grant them exemptions not available to the law abiding citizen. If the police were treated like we are, perhaps the FOP wouldn't be so quick to oppose us all the time....
Big +1!

Agreed, my life is worth as much to me as an LEO's is to himself/herself. If there's is worth defending wherever they go, then so is mine. They can enforce laws, as that is their job, but they still shouldn't be using their firearm unless there is a serious threat. My job is not to enforce the law, and I don't want that job, honestly, but my job as a husband/father is to defend my life and my family's lives wherever we go, and I will do so with a firearm if it comes down to that.

Edited to fix formatting. - Cable
- Rob
G30
RockinB

Post by RockinB »

Why complicate it. A citizen is just that, a citizen. An alien is just that, an alien. No gray areas for accomodating aliens, in language, voting, ccw, medical care, free schooling, low or no interest business loans, etc. By accomodating aliens on every turn we only devalue citizenship. The industrial revolution and it's need for immigrants, is long gone, as are the industries they helped to build. It's time to say no to "your tired and your poor". Let them stay home and straighten out their own countries, with their convoluted ideologies and run away birth rates.
The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.
"REMEMBER THE ALAMO"
What one generation tolerates, the next one embraces.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

haspelbein wrote:

Will
I don't quite get in what way this would prevent terrorism. None of the 9/11 terrorists was a permanent resident , and resident aliens are people who want to permanently live in this country and/or are on their way to become citizens.

They have to undergo background checks to reach that status and have abide by the law even more so than citizens in order not to risk deportation. This is a group that is not more prone to crime than the general population.

I can see how you don't want tourists, students, or foreigners with non-immigrant visas not to carry, because you know relatively little about them. But that is ultimately a different question.
It's a darn shame that good people have to suffer because of the actions of a few jackasses.

However, Mr. Haspelbein, you are not alone. American citizens suffer from the same thing.

I'll simply say this. If America means enough to anyone the least they can do is become a citizen and learn the language.

If Mr. Aslanides bill prevents ONE lowlife,(i'll stop there with the adjectives) terrorist from acquiring a weapon it's worth it.

No offense sir.....but if you are not a citizen please join the fold ASAP. It's GOOD to be an American and worth whatever hoops you have to jump through.
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

Petrofergov wrote:
haspelbein wrote:

Will

It's a darn shame that good people have to suffer because of the actions of a few jackasses.

However, Mr. Haspelbein, you are not alone. American citizens suffer from the same thing.

I'll simply say this. If America means enough to anyone the least they can do is become a citizen and learn the language.

If Mr. Aslanides bill prevents ONE lowlife,(i'll stop there with the adjectives) terrorist from acquiring a weapon it's worth it.

No offense sir.....but if you are not a citizen please join the fold ASAP. It's GOOD to be an American and worth whatever hoops you have to jump through.
Questions for you, as you seem to have all the answers, you can not apply for citizenship until you have lived in the States 5 yrs or been married for 3 yrs, but you can purchase a firearm legally(check out the Yellow Form for the part that asks for the INS#) as soon as you get you Resident Alien card, so what do you suggest for those that may not be able to carry CCW?
Would you suggest that a person that wants to take care of himself and family now rely on LEOs 100%?
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

williampelish wrote:
Geezah wrote:Just got this off the Dayton Daily news,
The bill would also:

Link

Will
I find these posts oozing ignorance but yet you all buy into the fact that someone that is prepared to break the law will not always purchase a firearm legally. Did you suddenly decide to buy into the crap Toby Hoover spews?

When I went through my interview at the American Embassy in London, I had to pass a full background check, a piture of my right profile was taken, I had a blood test, chest xray and full check up. I am a Resident Alien, I'm not on a student visa or just travelling through or a temporay visa, I have a visa that entitles me to everything you are except voting and going on welfare. Well the welfare part, I'm not interested in but the voting I am, so I decided to persue citizenship but that doesn't mean that I'm any less entitled to protect myself or my family than you.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Geezah wrote: [...]
Questions for you, as you seem to have all the answers, you can not apply for citizenship until you have lived in the States 5 yrs or been married for 3 yrs, but you can purchase a firearm legally(check out the Yellow Form for the part that asks for the INS#) as soon as you get you Resident Alien card, so what do you suggest for those that may not be able to carry CCW?
Would you suggest that a person that wants to take care of himself and family now rely on LEOs 100%?
You don't even need that much: If you reside in the US for 90 days and are in the possession of a non-resident hunting license, then you just need your INS admission number to purchase a firearm, not even the alien# that identifies a resident.
Last edited by haspelbein on Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Geezah wrote:
I find these posts oozing ignorance but yet you all buy into the fact that someone that is prepared to break the law will not always purchase a firearm legally. Did you suddenly decide to buy into the crap Toby Hoover spews?
How to win friends and influence people.......call them ignorant!!
Geezah

Post by Geezah »

Petrofergov wrote:
Geezah wrote:
How to win friends and influence people.......call them ignorant!!
I did not call any single person ignorant, rather posts where you would suggest that people that have lived in this country as law abiding citizens for ex amount of years be at the mercy of the local LEOs.
If you read my comment about Toby Hoover then it would make sense, Toby Hoover would have you believe that because I am not (yet) a citizen then I should not be entitled to own a firearm, I could be a terrorist after all and I may use a firearm to shoot down a plane. One less firearm in the hands of a firearm enthusaist.
If I were a potential terrorist the last thing I'm going to do is visit my loal Sheriff's and apply for my CHL :shock:
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Petrofergov wrote: [...]

Unfortunately it's not that straight forward; otherwise I'd be a citizen already. It is not for the lack of wanting to be a US citizen. Germany only allows dual citizenship under certain hardship conditions, none of which I can claim.

Since my mother lives in Germany and is not getting younger, I may have to take care of her affairs from afar, which is only a real possibility if you're a citizen or permanent resident of Germany. This leaves me with very few options at this point.

And as Geezah pointed out: The laws about acquiring firearms are something entirely different.