Columbus Carry.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JJones

Post by JJones »

Brian_Horton wrote:This little arguement ends here. You may resume the original thread discussion if you wish.

Everybody play nice. No name calling. We are all on the same side and we all basically believe the same stuff in relation to guns and CCW.

Umm, Excuse me Brian

But you are wrong.

Jacques.
Edit: and I can't smell either ;)
Last edited by JJones on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Oh man. Jacques, I am really sorry. My bad. I edited my post.

Jacques, check your email.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Folks remember that the enemy can be hidden within this forum. We all need to agree it is ok to disagree in a mannerly way, and Brian I learned a long time ago this is not an easy job you have and the power you have to make posts disappear and lock out unruly posters is much better than anything you can post especially after you sit and think and rethink what you are putting out here before you use the SEND key.
CMiddleton

tec 9

Post by CMiddleton »

At the risk of ridicule, I will admit to owning a tec 9 at some point....No, not back when I was a banger. I was never a banger, for the record.

I found the tec 9 to be one of the most fun gun to shoot, ever. Just the spray of bullets and the hi cap mag made it absolutly unsurpassed fun. I dont think it is good for doing any more than wasting ammo and shooting from the hip, but it was fun while it lasted.

Hi Point, is what my gf got, just to shoot around and make sure she liked it first. Now that we know she enjoys is, we are looking for a better gun.

But back to the original thread.....where are we on the Columbus AWB?
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: tec 9

Post by Petrovich »

CMiddleton wrote:At the risk of ridicule, I will admit to owning a tec 9 at some point....No, not back when I was a banger. I was never a banger, for the record.

I found the tec 9 to be one of the most fun gun to shoot, ever. Just the spray of bullets and the hi cap mag made it absolutly unsurpassed fun. I dont think it is good for doing any more than wasting ammo and shooting from the hip, but it was fun while it lasted.

Hi Point, is what my gf got, just to shoot around and make sure she liked it first. Now that we know she enjoys is, we are looking for a better gun.

But back to the original thread.....where are we on the Columbus AWB?
I get very little feedback on the Hi Points. I've had one gentleman who loved them. How do the pistols shoot?

I did have arangemaster I know tell me that one flew apart at the range a couple of years ago. That isn't necessarily the fault of the gun, though.

They are inexpensive guns and they are cheaply made, but you have to judge a gun by how it shoots. That's why I don't like tec 9's. They shoot lousy.

For an entry level pistol maybe they're ok?
CMiddleton

accuracy

Post by CMiddleton »

Tec 9: As long as you aren't really aiming at anything except for a backstop of earth, they are fun to shoot. Shoot from the hip. It did have a tendency to jam on occasion.

Hi Point 9mm: No FTFeed and No FTFires thus far, it has had about 200 rounds through it thus far. The magazine sucks, they say it holds 10, but it really comfortable holds 8. You can wedge 9 in, but it probably would create feed problems. Not a bad gun as far as accuracy, better than you should expect for a 100 dollar gun. I feel confident that if a BG broke into my house and threatened me, I could end it with the hi point. I am not a seasoned target shooter, so I don't know all the lingo to describe how it shoots, but I can keep a pattern of the size of a softball at 21 feet.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: accuracy

Post by Petrovich »

CMiddleton wrote:I am not a seasoned target shooter, so I don't know all the lingo to describe how it shoots, but I can keep a pattern of the size of a softball at 21 feet.
That would certainly pass my standard accuracy test....a bowling pin at 25 yards fired from a rest.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Petrofergov wrote:
CMiddleton wrote:I am not a seasoned target shooter, so I don't know all the lingo to describe how it shoots, but I can keep a pattern of the size of a softball at 21 feet.
That would certainly pass my standard accuracy test....a bowling pin at 25 yards fired from a rest.
Not trying to be argumentitive, But isn't a bowling pin about the same diameter as a softball? And 21ft = 7 yards < 25 yards.

BUT softball sized groups at 21 ft unrested is acceptable for defensive shooting and for plinking.

my problem with the HiPoint, (besides its looks,) is the comment one of my gunsmiths made to me when it came out. He told me that if I ever get one, to find the biggest tree I could find, stand on one side of it and fire the gun from the other side.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

JJones wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:
Not trying to be argumentitive, But isn't a bowling pin about the same diameter as a softball? And 21ft = 7 yards < 25 yards.

BUT softball sized groups at 21 ft unrested is acceptable for defensive shooting and for plinking.

my problem with the HiPoint, (besides its looks,) is the comment one of my gunsmiths made to me when it came out. He told me that if I ever get one, to find the biggest tree I could find, stand on one side of it and fire the gun from the other side.
Oops, I read 21 yards not 21 feet. :oops: My "accuracy test" isn't meant to mimic a real life scenario. I am simply trying to determine the gun's inherent accuracy. I also use this test to determine if a load is accurate enough. I'll admit, it ain't real scientific, but I figure if a handgun can hit a bowling pin consistently at that distance there's nothing wrong with the gun's (or the load's) accuracy. If I can't hit offhand with with it after it passed my "accuracy test" I know it's my fault and not a mechanical problem.

I did hear of a Hi Point coming apart when it was fired. I didn't know the details except that it wasn't a kaboom....the gun just sort of fell apart.

I think Hi Points occupy a niche. For someone on a budget who might not otherwise be able to afford a handgun Hi Point does a good service.

Some might argue, myself included; why not save for just a little while longer and buy a police trade or other used handgun? Handguns are relatively cheap right now.

Like I said on an earlier post, police trades can be had for less than 300 bucks.

I know....500 bucks as an average price for a new,quality arm doesn't seem cheap. If you do the math, however, and look at prices historically and account for inflation handguns are actually cheaper....and quality has improved with the new CNC machining technology. And...of course designs are improving as well.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

No more flames

Post by Daniel »

This thread is rapidly getting out of control. All personal attacks are to cease.

Thank you.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
jhfenton

Re: No more flames

Post by jhfenton »

Cable wrote:This thread is rapidly getting out of control. All personal attacks are to cease.
It was out of control on Friday, but things seem to have calmed down. :wink:
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Yep and I won the Pool on how long it would take for something to come up which would incite the members to spiral out of control.

Handguns and Car Stereos seem to have extremely personal (just about religous) preferences and what we have here isn't uncommon, but it is important to work them out...

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Did anyone read that piece in the dispatch today about the columbus gun ban??? Man, if the law isn't confusing enough, the writer of the piece made several BIG errors. For example, Jodi Andes doesn't know the difference between a fixed, and detachable magazine. If any of the forum readers know where there is a ,"semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazing that can accept more than ten rounds of ammunition." Please let me know....I wanna be the first kid on my block to own one. Also.....what the heck is a M15 rifle???
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

It was an interesting article in the Dispatch, I picked up a copy before leaving town to go home this afternoon. Anyway, I think she's just somewhat niave about different types of firearms. Then again - maybe a M-15 is an AR-15 with a 3-position selector switch and that third position reads "Burst" in spite of the fact you can't select that position. Can you say a 'Wannabe M-16"? :lol:

Bob Wiley
CMiddleton

the anti sheeple

Post by CMiddleton »

I have found that you really don't need accurate facts to incite the anit-gun crowd. These are the same people who say garbage like: Guns kill people. It would be fine with me if they all moved to Great Britain and lived firsthand in a gun free society. Once they got mugged too many time by a limey bloke, reeking of the vinegar from his fish and chips, they would be begging their way to move back here and get their CCW.

It is a shame that so many people, so enthusiastically, believe a lie. So they can easily lie to the antigunners, by talking about detachable mags, or attachable mags, and scare them with stories of hi capacity magazines. If we are going to be gun free, we should be entirely gun free, lets take them from the police too, and give them clubs instead. See how safe the antis feel about that.

The part of our training that says we can use deadly force if someone around is threatened...if I am standing next to an anti that is being threatened, I would be hesitant to intervene, scared that the anti would get confused as to which as the good guy and which was the bad, and brand us both to be criminals. It is a shame to have to stand and watch and anti reap what they desire to sow.