Columbus Carry.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ColGlock

Columbus Carry.

Post by ColGlock »

Well, Once the Columbus AWB goes into effect, (which will ban nearly ever semi-auto Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun,) What will be a good carry gun?

I propose carrying a single shot... Thats right. That way we do not have to worry about explaining how AM HB 12 overrules there law.

And since you only have one shot you better make it in something that you know will work.

Now then I am not thinking of some dinky little Derringer in .45-70 that may break your wrist.

No. you should only carry something that you will practice with. Besides the .45-70 round is not powerful enough out of the 2-3 inch barrel.

I purpose that we all start carrying the 8" barreled T/C Contenders in a REAL cartridge, like .418 Rigby, or .475 Weatherby.

This will allow you to be prepared for anything you may encounter. After all, You never know when you may run into the Gahanna lion.
:twisted:

ColGlock.
collin

Post by collin »

Unfortunately, Columbus seems to be run by the anti-freedom crowd. The verbal diarrhea splattering on the porcelain of rational thought, and coming from the lips of Councilman Mentel should shame all who voted for him. Personally, I would think that the Columbus ban probably wouldn't apply to a licensee, but more importantly, we need to kick those who oppose freedom (like Mentel) out of office and repeal the damage they have done to the Constitution of Ohio.
Last edited by collin on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Many belieive the ban as written would make any semi-auto pistol that can accept a magazine of more than 10 rounds illegal. That includes a lot of pistols.
collin

Post by collin »

Gerard wrote:Many belieive the ban as written would make any semi-auto pistol that can accept a magazine of more than 10 rounds illegal. That includes a lot of pistols.
I would agree with that, Gerard. I believe that the bill uses the phrase "capacity to accept" a mag of ten rounds or more. This bill is absurd.
PowerMac

Post by PowerMac »

Collin wrote:
Gerard wrote:Many belieive the ban as written would make any semi-auto pistol that can accept a magazine of more than 10 rounds illegal. That includes a lot of pistols.
I would agree with that, Gerard. I believe that the bill uses the phrase "capacity to accept" a mag of ten rounds or more. This bill is absurd.
Agreed!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Folks, Cincinnati had such a law back in the '80s. Some have said it was thrown out and taken off the books, but I don't know this to be true. In any event, the law has been a non-issue since it's never been successfully used, best of my knowledge.

Danged if this Columbus ordinance would make me change my choice of a carry gun, after all the trouble we went to getting statewide CCW passed. But I guess my signature line would have clued you into my beliefs on the matter.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mickiratt

Post by mickiratt »

Sorry to hear about the ban. It is truly senseless. Please, don't forget to tell them to notify all the violent criminals in Columbus when/if this takes affect! :?
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Brian D. wrote:Folks, Cincinnati had such a law back in the '80s. Some have said it was thrown out and taken off the books, but I don't know this to be true. In any event, the law has been a non-issue since it's never been successfully used, best of my knowledge.

Danged if this Columbus ordinance would make me change my choice of a carry gun, after all the trouble we went to getting statewide CCW passed. But I guess my signature line would have clued you into my beliefs on the matter.
This law banned handgun magazines over 15 rounds and rifle magazines over 10 rounds. The major difference in the two laws is that the Cincinnati one banned the magazines. The Columbus one bans any gun capable of accepting a magazine over a certain size. Well you can extended mags for even 1911's that hold more than 10 rounds so even old single stack designs are out. Basically Columbus is trying to get rid of everything but wheelguns.

The Cincinnati law was challenged in federal court. I believe it was struck down but now that decision is under appeal.
collin

Post by collin »

Struck down by Ohio 1st District Court of Appeals as being unconstitutional (Ohio Constitution), under appeal to the Ohio Supreme Court.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Collin and Brian, you know the worst part about that court case dragging on so? If one lives in Cincy, he/she is paying the blasted legal fees for both sides of the case! :evil:

Brian, back when Cincy passed that ban, the City Solicitor's office told us it applied to guns that were CAPABLE of holding the more-than-x-amount-of-rounds magazines. Sound familiar? Anyhow, perhaps subsequent opinion by other solicitors/prosecutors changed the way they interpreted the ordinance, too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

The interpretation of the Cincinnati ordinance seems pretty obvious. Technically, my 9mm and .40S&W Glocks are all banned in Cincinnati because they can accept 17-rd, 31-rd, and/or 33-rd magazines.

If that is the correct interpretation, I proudly violate that ordinance every day driving through Cincinnati to work.

The corresponding provision in the proposed Columbus ban is a bit more ambiguous. It depends on how you parse a terribly convoluted sentence.

John
PowerMac

Post by PowerMac »

jhfenton wrote:The interpretation of the Cincinnati ordinance seems pretty obvious. Technically, my 9mm and .40S&W Glocks are all banned in Cincinnati because they can accept 17-rd, 31-rd, and/or 33-rd magazines.

If that is the correct interpretation, I proudly violate that ordinance every day driving through Cincinnati to work.

The corresponding provision in the proposed Columbus ban is a bit more ambiguous. It depends on how you parse a terribly convoluted sentence.

John
They're illegal in Cincinnati? Then someone better tell the criminals.

I'm almost ashamed to say I'm from Cincinnati.
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Columbus AWB

Post by sabalo »

I carry one of two Para LTC commander size 1911's. The largest mags I can find for this size gun is 8 rounds, add one in the chamber and 9 is the best you can do. I assume this would be an acceptable firearm under the Columbus AWB. Double stack 1911's are capable of 10+ mags but this is single stack.
Tell me if I'm wrong or am missing something.
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
ColGlock

Re: Columbus AWB

Post by ColGlock »

sabalo wrote:I carry one of two Para LTC commander size 1911's. The largest mags I can find for this size gun is 8 rounds, add one in the chamber and 9 is the best you can do. I assume this would be an acceptable firearm under the Columbus AWB. Double stack 1911's are capable of 10+ mags but this is single stack.
Does it accept standard 1911 mags? It does not matter if it is hanging out the bottom.

Here is the problem. for ANY Magazine fed firearm, you can make a higher capacity version. All you do is take two or more mags, cut them in the approriate locations and weld them together, rig up the springs correctly, clean up the welds, and put it back together.

I am sure you could even rig something similar up for guns with a fixed magazine like the grendal.

Therefore the ban applies to ALL semiauto firearms.

ColGlock.
Brian_Horton

Re: Columbus AWB

Post by Brian_Horton »

sabalo wrote:I carry one of two Para LTC commander size 1911's. The largest mags I can find for this size gun is 8 rounds, add one in the chamber and 9 is the best you can do. I assume this would be an acceptable firearm under the Columbus AWB. Double stack 1911's are capable of 10+ mags but this is single stack.
I have seen picks of extended 1911 single stack .45acp's mags that held like 15 rounds. Since such a mag exists somewhere in this world technically that would outlaw your Para LTC's, even if you don't own a mag like that.