SANDUSKY REGISTER ADVERTISER CAMPAIGN & RESPONSES

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Personally, I see no problem with all of us contacting the advertisers with the sample letter I posted or something similar.

We need to be polite and professional, ESPECIALLY with them since they didn't do anything wrong. It's not their fault.... but I think the more people that contact them to let them know how people feel... the better. They're the only ones that will influence the paper.

My $0.02.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
SanduskyBrandon

Post by SanduskyBrandon »

MeanStreaker wrote:Personally, I see no problem with all of us contacting the advertisers with the sample letter I posted or something similar.

We need to be polite and professional, ESPECIALLY with them since they didn't do anything wrong. It's not their fault.... but I think the more people that contact them to let them know how people feel... the better. They're the only ones that will influence the paper.

My $0.02.
As I think I have stated on here before, I was employed by the Sandusky Register. I left their employment in August of last year. I can tell you that the only way you are going to get any noticable results is if you contact the advertisers with as many people as you can. The same person should not call more than once. The advertisers then panic and call the newspaper. If advertisers say they are unhappy with what is happening and start to pull money away from the Newspaper, then the Newspaper will respond. The $2 you pay the paperboy every week is nothing compared to the thousands of dollars some of the advertisers give the newspaper in a week. I have seen some of the contracts, you would not believe how much money the paper takes from these guys. If you let the advertisers know how you feel, and let them know you will not be doing business with them, the dominoes will fall.
SanduskyBrandon

Dseckt wrote:This is gone from the site?
It is still on under "for the record" go down the the bottom of the page.
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Fair enough.

Over the next several days, I will make calls. For those I can't reach, letters will be mailed.
MySQLQuery

Post by MySQLQuery »

Pier 1 wrote:Thank you for contacting us on our website.

We appreciate your comments and have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department in our Home Office.

Sincerely,

Cindy B.
Customer Relations Representative
Pier 1 Imports
Second automated reply from first e-mail!
Last edited by MySQLQuery on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the best place to apply for your CHL?
Find out at http://ccwhen.com!
The world is cold, but, bold men take action.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

SanduskyBrandon wrote:
MeanStreaker wrote:Personally, I see no problem with all of us contacting the advertisers with the sample letter I posted or something similar.

My $0.02.
As I think I have stated on here before, I was employed by the Sandusky Register. I left their employment in August of last year. I can tell you that the only way you are going to get any noticable results is if you contact the advertisers with as many people as you can. The same person should not call more than once. The advertisers then panic and call the newspaper. If advertisers say they are unhappy with what is happening and start to pull money away from the Newspaper, then the Newspaper will respond. The $2 you pay the paperboy every week is nothing compared to the thousands of dollars some of the advertisers give the newspaper in a week. I have seen some of the contracts, you would not believe how much money the paper takes from these guys. If you let the advertisers know how you feel, and let them know you will not be doing business with them, the dominoes will fall.

You are exactly correct in describing how all newspapers work...have you ever seen an article in your local newspaper on how to save money buying your next car? No, because local car dealers spend huge dollars on ads... ads drive the business, the subscriptions only pay the delivery fee.

One thing you forgot to add, however, is the pervading sense of elitism in the newsroom......
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

I got a call back from some general customer service person from Chevrolet. She thanked me for my comments and said that she's passing my concerns up the ladder.

I told her she'd probably had a long day at work (as this was around quitting time) and I wouldn't take up any of her time. I said that our organization realizes it's not her or Chevrolet's fault, but our thousands of members and supporters would want to make them aware of such a sensitive issue that will turn off many, many potential buyers.

She thanked me and that was that.

Now let's see if any of the other people get back to me. I contacted every one on the list.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
MySQLQuery

Post by MySQLQuery »

MeanStreaker wrote:I got a call back from some general customer service person from Chevrolet. She thanked me for my comments and said that she's passing my concerns up the ladder.

I told her she'd probably had a long day at work (as this was around quitting time) and I wouldn't take up any of her time. I said that our organization realizes it's not her or Chevrolet's fault, but our thousands of members and supporters would want to make them aware of such a sensitive issue that will turn off many, many potential buyers.

She thanked me and that was that.

Now let's see if any of the other people get back to me. I contacted every one on the list.
Same here, MS... I've gotten letters back from a couple... mostly automated.

I'm having better luck talking to the sheriff's offices, so far, it seems...
chef dennis
Account Deactivated

Post by chef dennis »

I wanted to make a general statement about the demeanor that is used when cpontacting these advertisers. I e-mailed and then spoke to 1 advertiser today that while i was polite, he was hot and very upset that his name was posted here.

I offered to post a letter from him explaining his position in his words so that nothing would be misconstrued. I still have not gotten that e-mail.

I did however get an PM this evening from someone that has been on the board and while I don't recognize the name, that doesn't mean he isn't a member or at least signed up sop he can use the PM service. his Pm was very polite. He explained that he was a business owner and that hisname was on the registers list. He mentioned using the Register in the past for ad service, and (this is the strange part) he mentioned 1advertiser by name and said he has done business with them and that he might not in the future after he speaks with them. I told this person that while we appreciated his support, that it was not our entention to damage any ones business finanically or in any ther fashion and that any boycott would be strictly on his own. While Our members might not spend money with these advertisers it would be his decision not t do so his self.

He asked that I not reveal his personal contact info ( he did give it to me) so i won't do tht.

Now I truely hope this person is sincere, but I also have a gut feeling that an advertiser might be trying to set us up in some fashion.

So becareful how you word and or speak to any of the advertisers on this issue. this has all of the elements to get naste. Just be polite and no do make it appear and certainly don't threaten anyone that this can doamae their business.

For me, I just tell them that it is our hope that they would rethink the used of their advertising dollars, because when the spend it with the Reguister, they are funding the kind of bad journalism that we are witnessing right now.

Be careful, courteous, and polite. And yes I can be all of those things!!
Member of:
2A Foundation, NRA, USCCA, RKBA, OFCC, & SCUM

Chef Dennis
SA XD 9 SC
"Carry On"
bbauto

advertisers

Post by bbauto »

I own B+B Auto Service in Sandusky and i have a CCW. The register was my main source of advertising however first thing monday morning that changed. My sales rep tried saying hey they didnt print it its only online. I said hey it wasn't "only online" when you were charing me $450.00 per quarter for online advertising. I have spent my last dollar with them and I am encouraging all other businesses to do the same.
MySQLQuery

Re: advertisers

Post by MySQLQuery »

bbauto wrote:I own B+B Auto Service in Sandusky and i have a CCW. The register was my main source of advertising however first thing monday morning that changed. My sales rep tried saying hey they didnt print it its only online. I said hey it wasn't "only online" when you were charing me $450.00 per quarter for online advertising. I have spent my last dollar with them and I am encouraging all other businesses to do the same.
Thank you!

If I may ask, were you under contract with the register?
SanduskyBrandon

Re: advertisers

bbauto wrote:I own B+B Auto Service in Sandusky and i have a CCW. The register was my main source of advertising however first thing monday morning that changed. My sales rep tried saying hey they didnt print it its only online. I said hey it wasn't "only online" when you were charing me $450.00 per quarter for online advertising. I have spent my last dollar with them and I am encouraging all other businesses to do the same.
Thank You. I live in Sandusky, hence the name, where are you located in the city? I assume you do car repair work? I will keep you in mind for future needs. I have a Pontiac Aztec (quit laughing) that sounds like it will need a starter soon.
bbauto

Post by bbauto »

No contract it was a weekly ad in the automotive area in Saturdays paper. Not much but still $39 per week. Plus any special ads i might do i spend about
$3000 per year there. And I am located on the corner of tiffin ave and homegardner rd. Across from what used to be The ford plant.
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

I just received an email response from Herman-Kinn Funeral Homes. I will post their email in its entirety below along with my response.
Herman-Kinn wrote:blah blah blah
MeanStreaker wrote:Thank you for replying. I understand that advertisers such as yourself had nothing to do with this decision. Just wanted to inform you that it was taking place and that many local consumers are not happy about it.

If you would like to discuss the seriousness of this issue, I am at your service.

Thanks,
---------
McM

Post by McM »

MS...'blah blah blah'? Wow, I guess they don't care about a professional appearence. I'd have to send them back a letter commenting on their lack of professionalism.

That is beyond the pale...
Last edited by McM on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.