WRONG SIGN?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

WRONG SIGN?

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I stopped tonight for an ice cream cone with my wife in a small town called QUINCY......On the door was the sign stating that if you are carrying a firearm in this liqour establishment you are guilty of a .....you know the one....ANYWAY when I went in I asked the owner when he got a class D liqour permit and he said he didn't have a class D. I asked then why the no gun sign and he told me it was the sign the government sent with his permit to sell beer. I told him the sign was menat only for a class D establishment and he refused to listen. Now would someone be breaking the law if they carried in this place? It is not a "NO GUN" sign but rather a sign warning about carrying in a CLASS D establishment?
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Re: WRONG SIGN?

Post by williampelish »

OHIOSTEVE wrote:I stopped tonight for an ice cream cone with my wife in a small town called QUINCY......On the door was the sign stating that if you are carrying a firearm in this liqour establishment you are guilty of a .....you know the one....ANYWAY when I went in I asked the owner when he got a class D liqour permit and he said he didn't have a class D. I asked then why the no gun sign and he told me it was the sign the government sent with his permit to sell beer. I told him the sign was menat only for a class D establishment and he refused to listen. Now would someone be breaking the law if they carried in this place? It is not a "NO GUN" sign but rather a sign warning about carrying in a CLASS D establishment?
Well, his ignorance is common-place. Second of all. The last I heard the answer was no! You would not get into trouble. However, I AM NOT lawyer!

WILL
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Give him one of OFCC's cards and take your business somewhere else. He obviously doesn't deserve it.

While yer at it, send the name of his establishment into ofcc and they will add his establishment to their do not patronize list.
collin

Post by collin »

This is a common misconception. That sign is a hold over. It has been a required posting in places that sell alcohol for years. It is just a standard government warning, and has no bearing on CHLs. Equate it to the Surgeon General's warning on packs of cigarettes, it's just another required notification. Notice that it also says "may" be guilty. This sign does not prohibit carry. However, note that if they sell for on-premesis consumption, then you are automatically prohibited. Having this sign does not make anybody an anti. They are REQUIRED to have it up.
Ukraine Train

Post by Ukraine Train »

Was he selling beer for consumption on premises? If a place sells only beer for consumption on premises does that require a Class D?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

My Wife

Post by Cruiser »

When the CCW law went into effect last year my wife told me she saw a "No Firearms" sign at this small grocery store she sometimes goes to. I went and checked it out, it was posted behind the checkout counter. It was the same sign you saw.
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

When the CCW law went into effect last year my wife told me she saw a "No Firearms" sign at this small grocery store she sometimes goes to. I went and checked it out, it was posted behind the checkout counter. It was the same sign you saw.
BEWARE -
Some grocery stores do sell alcohol for consumption on premises. There is a grocery store at Easton in Columbus OH that does wine tastings - they sell very small glasses of wine and sometimes beer. They have a class D or whatever it is to sell alcohol for consumption on premises. According to the law if somebody chl'd on site they would be in violation.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
EclecticBuddha

Post by EclecticBuddha »

Viva open carry... and I would imagine that regardles of the actual stste of the building that a charge could be drummed up pretty quickly.
The pro-liberty part never stops here at the Free Talk Live BBS http://bbs.freetalklive.com