carrying without having CHL present

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: carrying without having CHL present

Post by WY_Not »

Curious as to why. If you are OC'ing that is. If you are CC'ing then yeah, legally you need to have your CHL and DL on you.
AzRanger wrote:I walk in the neighborhood or at the park and in the summer with a T-Shirt and shorts I carry a NAA .22magnum and leave my wallet at home or hidden in the car!

This is making me reconsider that! Thanks, good post! 8)
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Face wrote:I caught myself without my wallet once, quickly left the store, went to the car and handed to the wife. She was then carrying one in the waist and one in the purse.
It's her own business where she carries. And good for her in making the choice to carry !!!!!

Having said that, I hope she reconsiders purse carry. The BG can snatch her purse in a split second, and then she's not only unarmed, but he has her weapon. I know there are "better ways" of carrying the purse, to hopefully reduce the risk of theft, but I hope she really rationally evaluates the options, and maybe chooses a way that gives her more consistent dominion over her weapon. Life's all about minimizing risk, after all. :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AzRanger wrote:I walk in the neighborhood or at the park and in the summer with a T-Shirt and shorts I carry a NAA .22magnum and leave my wallet at home or hidden in the car!

This is making me reconsider that! Thanks, good post! 8)
I'm guessing you don't open carry that little gun, correct? If it's not in very plain view, you really should have your carry (and driver's) license with you as well. Unless I missed a change to our law, a second photo ID must accompany the CHL.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:If you are CC'ing then yeah, legally you need to have your CHL and DL on you.
Brian D. wrote:If it's not in very plain view, you really should have your carry (and driver's) license with you as well. Unless I missed a change to our law, a second photo ID must accompany the CHL.
HB 228 changes that. As of the end of March (the effective date hasn't been posted yet, but should be before the end of March) the requirement for a 2nd form of ID will be stricken from Ohio law. You still have to have your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, but will no longer need to also carry a 2nd form of ID.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:If it's not in very plain view, you really should have your carry (and driver's) license with you as well. Unless I missed a change to our law, a second photo ID must accompany the CHL.
HB 228 changes that. As of the end of March (the effective date hasn't been posted yet, but should be before the end of March) the requirement for a 2nd form of ID will be stricken from Ohio law. You still have to have your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, but will no longer need to also carry a 2nd form of ID.
Ah, thanks, I missed that little crumb of firearms rights improvement. Most of my shooting friends around here are like me, keeping the DL and CHL together, in our wallets. Must be why I didn't notice that part of the bill.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Obviously this meaningless requirement is a poison pill to get otherwise 100% law abiding citizens to become scofflaws. As if not having this tiny ID card on your person somehow changes the reality that you are licensed.

Boils the blood.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:
WY_Not wrote:If you are CC'ing then yeah, legally you need to have your CHL and DL on you.
Don't misunderstand, I think any changes in the right direction are great, but how practical is this change to most people anyway? Most people would probably carry their CHL and their DL together anyway, simply due to driving someplace, then walking to & from the vehicle, etc. I suppose you could technically just leave your CHL in your vehicle all the time so if you forget your wallet you're still legal, but then you'd have to take the CHL with you every time you got out of the car. (if you CC I mean)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Don't misunderstand, I think any changes in the right direction are great, but how practical is this change to most people anyway? Most people would probably carry their CHL and their DL together anyway, simply due to driving someplace, then walking to & from the vehicle, etc. I suppose you could technically just leave your CHL in your vehicle all the time so if you forget your wallet you're still legal, but then you'd have to take the CHL with you every time you got out of the car. (if you CC I mean)
One advantage I see is that I have both an Ohio and Arizona license. I tend to carry only the Ohio unless I'm traveling and then I carry the Arizona in a separate location from my wallet. If my wallet gets stolen, I'm not out of luck carrying until I can get my drivers' license replaced.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Face

Post by Face »

docachna wrote:
Face wrote:I caught myself without my wallet once, quickly left the store, went to the car and handed to the wife. She was then carrying one in the waist and one in the purse.
It's her own business where she carries. And good for her in making the choice to carry !!!!!

Having said that, I hope she reconsiders purse carry. The BG can snatch her purse in a split second, and then she's not only unarmed, but he has her weapon. I know there are "better ways" of carrying the purse, to hopefully reduce the risk of theft, but I hope she really rationally evaluates the options, and maybe chooses a way that gives her more consistent dominion over her weapon. Life's all about minimizing risk, after all. :D
You might want to re-read the post. She was carrying on the waist. The one in the purse was mine.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:As of the end of March (the effective date hasn't been posted yet, but should be before the end of March) the requirement for a 2nd form of ID will be stricken from Ohio law. You still have to have your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, but will no longer need to also carry a 2nd form of ID.
I don't disagree. For most people, this changes nothing since if they leave the house they are driving somewhere so they still need both. Now, if the requirement to carry the physical license were stricken from Ohio law, that could actually benefit us.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Face wrote:
docachna wrote:

You might want to re-read the post. She was carrying on the waist. The one in the purse was mine.
Did you give her your man-purse? :lol: :P
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
One advantage I see is that I have both an Ohio and Arizona license. I tend to carry only the Ohio unless I'm traveling and then I carry the Arizona in a separate location from my wallet. If my wallet gets stolen, I'm not out of luck carrying until I can get my drivers' license replaced.
That's a good point. Makes me wonder if I should get another states CHL just in case. So in effect if you're carrying and someone steals your wallet but not your handgun, and you report it to the police, you're in violation of the law and could be arrested when the cop shows up because you technically can't show a license that's been stolen? (unless you unload or switch to open carry before the cops show up I mean)
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:As of the end of March (the effective date hasn't been posted yet, but should be before the end of March) the requirement for a 2nd form of ID will be stricken from Ohio law. You still have to have your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, but will no longer need to also carry a 2nd form of ID.
I don't disagree. For most people, this changes nothing since if they leave the house they are driving somewhere so they still need both. Now, if the requirement to carry the physical license were stricken from Ohio law, that could actually benefit us.
That said, not all of us drive cars... This wouldn't make a difference to me since my CHL is in my wallet with my state ID card, but I suppose if I were out running and didn't carry my wallet I could drop a smaller wallet with my CHL only in it...
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Got another hypothetical question related to this. Someone I know recently discovered that their Oh DL had expired, but her CHL was not. When she discovered this herself she wasn't pulled over and she wasn't carrying at the time anyway, but if she had been carrying and had been pulled over, could she have been arrested for it?

On a side note, she discovered when she renewed that it's good to have a CHL as one of the many things she was required to bring in under the new rules. :roll:
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Only if you want the enhanced (or whatever they are calling it) DL. I renewed mine last July and got the plain one as I didn't know you needed all that other documentation and wasn't going home to get it and return at a later date. And, frankly I don't care if I can't get into a court house, federal building, etc. If they really want me in one of those places then they will let me in, otherwise I'm not going through that much hassle for a DL.
M-Quigley wrote:Got another hypothetical question related to this. Someone I know recently discovered that their Oh DL had expired, but her CHL was not. When she discovered this herself she wasn't pulled over and she wasn't carrying at the time anyway, but if she had been carrying and had been pulled over, could she have been arrested for it?

On a side note, she discovered when she renewed that it's good to have a CHL as one of the many things she was required to bring in under the new rules. :roll:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.