carrying without having CHL present

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: carrying without having CHL present

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It's really funny in away that you have to go and get your license and then show them that you actually have one...like they don't know at this point of time..Arrest, jail...then go get it. I find that hiliarious..
What's the dam point of having computers. They can find out instantaneous if a CHL is valid or not. :roll: :evil:
Black Rifles Matter
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

steves 50de wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:It's really funny in away that you have to go and get your license and then show them that you actually have one...like they don't know at this point of time..Arrest, jail...then go get it. I find that hiliarious..
What's the dam point of having computers. They can find out instantaneous if a CHL is valid or not. :roll: :evil:
When they work
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

I have been stopped multiple times for driving while late. I’ve notified every time but never been asked to show my CHL. In case I don’t have my wallet with me, I made a color xerox of the CHL and then laminated it. I keep that in the center console of my car. I also put the .pdf on my phone. Granted it’s not the actual license but I’m guessing it will be “enough” if I ever have to show it.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Not happening. No way am I handing my unlocked phone to ANYONE, LEO or otherwise, but especially not to a LEO.
KenB22 wrote:I have been stopped multiple times for driving while late. I’ve notified every time but never been asked to show my CHL. In case I don’t have my wallet with me, I made a color xerox of the CHL and then laminated it. I keep that in the center console of my car. I also put the .pdf on my phone. Granted it’s not the actual license but I’m guessing it will be “enough” if I ever have to show it.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Not happening. No way am I handing my unlocked phone to ANYONE, LEO or otherwise, but especially not to a LEO.
This right here.

Plus, it isn't valid anyway since it's a copy / image. They can verify you have a valid license by running you in LEADS, so if that were enough (and it should be) then you wouldn't need the actual license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

KenB22 wrote:I have been stopped multiple times for driving while late. I’ve notified every time but never been asked to show my CHL. In case I don’t have my wallet with me, I made a color xerox of the CHL and then laminated it. I keep that in the center console of my car. I also put the .pdf on my phone. Granted it’s not the actual license but I’m guessing it will be “enough” if I ever have to show it.
Never heard the expression "driving while late" before.

My practice is to keep my driver's and carry licenses together in that little white sleeve given to me with the CHL. The sleeve is in my wallet.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

JustaShooter wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Not happening. No way am I handing my unlocked phone to ANYONE, LEO or otherwise, but especially not to a LEO.
This right here.

Plus, it isn't valid anyway since it's a copy / image. They can verify you have a valid license by running you in LEADS, so if that were enough (and it should be) then you wouldn't need the actual license.
Agree it’s a copy and technically not valid. The discusssion was how to avoid going to prison because you don’t have your actual license on you. I use my phone and Apple Pay for alll my purchases and often don’t have my wallet with me. My suggestion is certainly better than nothing although it may or may not work. I’ve never been asked to show my license even after notifying. I’m guessing an officer may remind me to carry the “official” license and I’m also guessing an officer has better things to do than haul me downtown because I have a copy of my license with me and not the original.

As for the phone, I’d never give it to the police. I could give him my license number for him to verify with LEADS if he wanted. Car I drive isn’t in my name so my CHL wouldn’t come up when running the plate.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Can see that point and the hard copy isn't a horrible idea. It might just be enough to get the LEO to cut some slack. My issue is the phone. As mentioned, no way am I handing my unlocked phone to a LEO. Same reason I still carry my Geico insurance card even though I have the app on my phone. Once they have it in their mitts, there is nothing to stop them from looking at anything they want. Just like inviting any LEO into my home for any reason without a warrant... Ain't happening. Much easier to simply make certain the DL and CHL are in my pocket anytime I carry.
KenB22 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
This right here.

Agree it’s a copy and technically not valid. The discusssion was how to avoid going to prison because you don’t have your actual license on you. I use my phone and Apple Pay for alll my purchases and often don’t have my wallet with me. My suggestion is certainly better than nothing although it may or may not work. I’ve never been asked to show my license even after notifying. I’m guessing an officer may remind me to carry the “official” license and I’m also guessing an officer has better things to do than haul me downtown because I have a copy of my license with me and not the original.

As for the phone, I’d never give it to the police. I could give him my license number for him to verify with LEADS if he wanted. Car I drive isn’t in my name so my CHL wouldn’t come up when running the plate.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Much easier to simply make certain the DL and CHL are in my pocket anytime I carry.
That's my approach. If I don't have my CHL, I also don't have my DL or insurance card & probably not my phone either. That would make it a bad day all round, so I make double-plus sure I have them on me at all times.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

This is crazy and sad that this is even a subject. Even some of the most anti gun anti CC states don't have Ohio's version of a notification requirement.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

M-Quigley wrote:This is crazy and sad that this is even a subject. Even some of the most anti gun anti CC states don't have Ohio's version of a notification requirement.
The way stuff gets done in Ohio has been to pass something then amend it into decency. The notification requirement is really one of the last things leftover that made the first law a real pain.

Some of the LE outfits seem to LOVE the notification requirement. Also I have run into officers who insisted that one must notify they have a CHL even if not carrying.

The 5th amendment question is a valid one....too bad some friendly LE dept cannot ask the Ohio AG for an opinion about that :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

willbird wrote:Some of the LE outfits seem to LOVE the notification requirement. Also I have run into officers who insisted that one must notify they have a CHL even if not carrying.
There's a cop in this area who has said to co-workers "If they don't notify how will I know if they have a gun?" The responses he got that anyone might be armed and bad guys wouldn't notify apparently didn't change his mind. :roll:
Face

Post by Face »

I caught myself without my wallet once, quickly left the store, went to the car and handed to the wife. She was then carrying one in the waist and one in the purse.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
willbird wrote:Some of the LE outfits seem to LOVE the notification requirement. Also I have run into officers who insisted that one must notify they have a CHL even if not carrying.
There's a cop in this area who has said to co-workers "If they don't notify how will I know if they have a gun?" The responses he got that anyone might be armed and bad guys wouldn't notify apparently didn't change his mind. :roll:
He has never really thought about the fact that no doubt he has already stopped people who had guns and he never knew it.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

I walk in the neighborhood or at the park and in the summer with a T-Shirt and shorts I carry a NAA .22magnum and leave my wallet at home or hidden in the car!

This is making me reconsider that! Thanks, good post! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal