Travel Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AWF ROWD

Re: Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by AWF ROWD »

JustaShooter wrote: A word of caution about the application: Some counties (Butler included, but not Crawford), require the application to be on both sides of a single piece of paper rather than two separate pieces of paper.

Hope this helps - good luck and enjoy the trip to FL!
I just reviewed the Application, and it looks like its only one page...?!!
Uncle Duke

Post by Uncle Duke »

I highly recommend that anyone traveling through a state that does not honor or recognize Ohio's CHL carry a copy of the Firearm Owner's Protection Act with them in addition the aforementioned precautions. Not every state trooper or local law enforcement officer is knowledgeable about this law and may arrest you or confiscate your firearm. I had a run in with NJ State Troopers awhile back during a traffic stop (Driving for too great a distance in the center lane... all of a mile when I was passing slower moving traffic. Yes this is on the books and you are warned about this when you enter NJ from PA at the Delaware Water Gap, although most people don't see this sign). I had my CHL for Ohio and PA and temporary permit for Mass on me and several firearms locked in Pelican cases along with ammo in their original sealed packages in a locked Pelican case in the locked covered bed of my pickup (I was going to a shooting competition in Mass). Nevertheless the trooper wanted to arrest me even though I had paperwork that proved where I was going and fully cooperated with him. It wasn't until I gave him a copy of the FOPA that he was willing to let me go, albeit with a warning to never bring a gun into NJ again.

NYS gets a bad wrap because of their dictatorial stance on gun control (especially the SAFE Act), although I've never had a bad experience with NYS troopers. NYPD is another story. Do not drive through any of the 5 boroughs with a firearm if at all possible. They don't seem to understand FOPA applies to everywhere for safe passage.

Uncle Duke
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Uncle Duke wrote: NYS gets a bad wrap because of their dictatorial stance on gun control
Nope, it's not a bad rap. The New Jersey highway patrol has a long-standing reputation for harassing lawful firearms owners. They know about the FOPA; they just prefer to disregard it. I would guess they gave you a pass when they found out you knew the law and weren't going to roll over for them.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
scotmaria

Post by scotmaria »

also want to travel to Minnesota, Maryland and Indiana.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome scotmaria. An Ohio carry license is not recognized/reciprocated in Minnesota or Maryland. Indiana allows carry on ANY political subdivision's license, it doesn't even have to be one issued in the U.S. For example if you are an Israeli citizen living and working here legally, your carry license from there is honored by Indiana.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BerythaBeasley

Post by BerythaBeasley »

rickt wrote:This forum has seen three threads in the month of February regarding travel to Minnesota, Maryland and Indiana.

That prompted me to create this FAQ.

Rick's Unofficial Travel FAQ

Q.: I am traveling to another state and I am wondering if my Ohio CHl is valid there?

A.: There are two good web sites which have interactive maps which can show you in which states your Ohio CHL is valid. Those sites are Handgunlaws and USA Carry.

Q.: What is the difference between "honors" and "reciprocity"?

A.: "Reciprocity" means Ohio and another state have signed an agreement to honor each other's CCW permits (Ohio AG reciprocity page). Some states have decided to honor other states licenses without any reciprocity agreement which is why your Ohio CHL is valid in more states than those with which Ohio has a reciprocity agreement.

Q.: While I am in another state, do I follow Ohio's laws or the laws of the state I am visiting?

A.: Always obey the laws of the state you are visiting.

Q.: How can I find out the laws of any state I plan to visit?

A.: Several web sites provide synopses of state firearms laws which you can review and print out for your travels to other states. They are http://www.handgunlaw.us/, http://www.usacarry.com/index.php, and http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/.

Q:. Can I travel with a firearm on an airplane?

A.: Yes, but you must follow the TSA guidelines shown here: TSA guidelines.
In addition, the TSA recommends checking with the airline for additional policies the airline might have about traveling with a firearm. Since not all airline personnel understand firearms policies, printing and carrying both the airline's policy and the TSA policy is a good idea.

Q:. Can I travel with a firearm on Amtrak?

A.: No. Amtrak policy forbids firearms in both checked and carry-on baggage.

Q.: Can I travel with a firearm on a Greyhound bus?

A.: No. Greyhound's list of prohibited items includes firearms.

Q.: Isn't there a Federal law that is supposed to protect travelers with firearms?

A.: Yes. The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) offers some protection. The NRA Gun Laws web site describes it like this: "Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."
Very nice.
This should get "sticky-ed".
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

Any lessons learned or horror stories for Ohio CCW holders vacationing in Tennessee, in particular the Pigeon Forge area? I've reviewed the Traveler's Guide and a few relevant websites, I see nothing that jumps out at me. Leaving in ten days, would appreciate any input.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Col Duke wrote:Any lessons learned or horror stories for Ohio CCW holders vacationing in Tennessee, in particular the Pigeon Forge area? I've reviewed the Traveler's Guide and a few relevant websites, I see nothing that jumps out at me. Leaving in ten days, would appreciate any input.
I go to Tenn frequently, and I've never had a problem. I don't however go to Dollywood, so IDK about that. Also if you search online regarding carry on TVA property it says firearms are prohibited unless you are hunting, although a local LEO who I was with on a boat on Norris lake claimed to me that's only for certain posted areas, and that my CC is fine. I have not been able to verify the accuracy of that statement (TVA is federal not local)

The one place in Tenn where I actually unholstered my CC wasn't on TVA property anyway. This was way west of both Pigeon Forge and Norris Lake. Thankfully I didn't have to shoot, as I later found out the bear was some sort of local celeb. and according to one resident was supposedly harmless :roll:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:The one place in Tenn where I actually unholstered my CC wasn't on TVA property anyway. This was way west of both Pigeon Forge and Norris Lake. Thankfully I didn't have to shoot, as I later found out the bear was some sort of local celeb. and according to one resident was supposedly harmless :roll:
All bears are harmless until they decide not to be.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
docachna

Post by docachna »

Col Duke wrote:Any lessons learned or horror stories for Ohio CCW holders vacationing in Tennessee, in particular the Pigeon Forge area? I've reviewed the Traveler's Guide and a few relevant websites, I see nothing that jumps out at me. Leaving in ten days, would appreciate any input.
It's pretty mellow down here for CCW aficionados. No "printing" danger like a few states. If it shows through your t-shirt, no BFD. But, like anywhere else, if you're asked to leave, just leave. Don't argue. Take it up later with the boss/manager/whatever if you want. No LEO is going to do anything if you left when asked, posted or not.

A couple of quirks; municipalities MAY prohibit CCW in a park; it's not statewide statutory approval. Know your locality. Also, open carry is legal, but unlike Ohio, ONLY if you have a Tennessee Handgun Permit (makes no mention of "concealed"). OTOH, anyone, licensed or not, may carry in their own motor vehicle, as it is considered part of the home. Door pocket, console, waist holster, wherever. You're good to go. SO, since that change, I can just leave the Walther in the car with Mama, with instructions "if anybody breaks in the car, just shoot 'em and ask for a doctor when the cops get here".

Go figure.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
junglebob

Post by junglebob »

The Utah non-resident LTC is a good choice. It gives you about as many states as Florida, though Florida isn't one of them. Your Ohio resident LTC is good in Florida and Utah, so I guess it doesns't make any difference.For me either one gives me around a dozen more states because Illinois does not offer reciprocity with any other state. They do offer a non-resident license to folks from 4 different states at a cost of $300 for 5 years but the non resident LTC for any of those can be canceled if they decide their firearm laws are no longer similar.

I just renewed my Utah non resident LTC at a cost of $25 for 5 years. (The original is $63.25) The Utah course is only 3 hours long to get the original. I took mine here in Illinois from a Utah instructor from Wisconsin.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason
Jude3

Post by Jude3 »

There’s an app for that. Search CCW in your apps on your phone.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Jude3 wrote:There’s an app for that. Search CCW in your apps on your phone.
There's also a website for that - http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just click on the state your license is from, and it will show a reciprocity map and a summary of firearm laws. Great tool for traveling as you can easily review the laws of the states you will visit, and best of all, it's free.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!