Church Parking Lot

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Col Duke

Church Parking Lot

Post by Col Duke »

My granddaughter wants to go to a church festival next weekend. The festival is held outdoors in the church's parking lot, there is no reason to enter the church or its associated school building. Does Ohio law preclude me from carrying in the church parking lot or other property even if I remain outside?
djthomas

Re: Church Parking Lot

Post by djthomas »

You were good to go up until you said "associated school building." If it's a school school, and not just a day care or Sunday school building then carrying on your person outside your vehicle is prohibited.
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

djthomas wrote:You were good to go up until you said "associated school building." If it's a school school, and not just a day care or Sunday school building then carrying on your person outside your vehicle is prohibited.
The school buliding is still in place (and posted btw), but has not been used as a "school school" in over 40 years. It is used for tutoring, civic activities, and babysitting during Mass.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Col Duke wrote:
djthomas wrote:You were good to go up until you said "associated school building." If it's a school school, and not just a day care or Sunday school building then carrying on your person outside your vehicle is prohibited.
The school buliding is still in place (and posted btw), but has not been used as a "school school" in over 40 years. It is used for tutoring, civic activities, and babysitting during Mass.
Whether the building is posted or not is irrelevent, almost any building can be posted. So it was originally a school but now it's not. I'm not a lawyer or the AG, but there might be a question on the tutoring part. Does tutoring make it fall into the category of a "school?"
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

M-Quigley wrote:
Col Duke wrote:
Whether the building is posted or not is irrelevent, almost any building can be posted. So it was originally a school but now it's not. I'm not a lawyer or the AG, but there might be a question on the tutoring part. Does tutoring make it fall into the category of a "school?"
I bring up the point of the building being posted in that, if it were an active school, seems it wouldn't need to be posted. Are active "school schools" posted? The tutoring is a voluntary program provided by parishioners for anyone who wishes to attend.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Schools are required to post, but whether they do or not has no bearing on the legality of carrying there.

Definitions that come in to play as far as carrying ... you need to find out whether or not the premises in question constitutes a school. I'd probably focus my efforts on whether it is "[a] nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code." If the church is not operating a school licensed by the state board of ed then it's not a school. If things are as you describe then I'm guessing it's legally not a school.

(Q) "School" means any school operated by a board of education, any community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or any nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted at the time a criminal offense is committed.

(R) "School premises" means either of the following:

(1) The parcel of real property on which any school is situated, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted on the premises at the time a criminal offense is committed;

(2) Any other parcel of real property that is owned or leased by a board of education of a school, the governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or the governing body of a nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code and on which some of the instruction, extracurricular activities, or training of the school is conducted, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted on the parcel of real property at the time a criminal offense is committed.