My first duty to inform

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mortar34

Re: My first duty to inform

Post by Mortar34 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I just got another ticket last Friday (yes, I've lost count) and the deputy said just about the same thing (you leave yours alone and I'll leave mine alone). I've received a similar same response from several other LEO's.

I don't really see this as just humor OR condescension...it's a bit of both - with some truth mixed in. I see it more as 'politically correct small talk".

You have just told someone (as required by law) that you have a gun. How do you want them to respond? Politely, I would hope. :wink:

One Columbus PD officer simply said, "That's fine." While courteous, he was not pleasant.

The trooper that I notified non-verbally simply nodded his head. Nothing more was said about it after I got the passenger door unlocked and opened.

If you still don't like what seems like a standard comment, try this next time and see how it goes:

"Hello, officer. I an a Concealed Handgun License holder and I am armed."

"Well, you don't touch yours and I won't touch mine."

"Don't give me a reason to and I won't give you a reason to."

"Step out of the car, sir. Keep your hands where I can see them..."
Haha. Brilliant.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I just got another ticket last Friday (yes, I've lost count) and the deputy said just about the same thing (you leave yours alone and I'll leave mine alone). I've received a similar same response from several other LEO's.

I don't really see this as just humor OR condescension...it's a bit of both - with some truth mixed in. I see it more as 'politically correct small talk".

You have just told someone (as required by law) that you have a gun. How do you want them to respond? Politely, I would hope. :wink:

One Columbus PD officer simply said, "That's fine." While courteous, he was not pleasant.

The trooper that I notified non-verbally simply nodded his head. Nothing more was said about it after I got the passenger door unlocked and opened.

If you still don't like what seems like a standard comment, try this next time and see how it goes:

"Hello, officer. I an a Concealed Handgun License holder and I am armed."

"Well, you don't touch yours and I won't touch mine."

"Don't give me a reason to and I won't give you a reason to."

"Step out of the car, sir. Keep your hands where I can see them..."

Good one lol..I don't see where it was rude or anything else..The officer might have just been trying as MWSY said, make small talk..I had a cop one time ask me if I had any drugs, guns, knives, hand grenades or WMD's in the car..And I laughed at the grenades and WMD's part..I told him no sir last time I checked my grenades and WMD's were at home..And he laughed..Wasn't a big deal..He said he always asked that because if someone had something to hide they would clam up the majority of the time..And it made sense..Not every cop is out to get you..
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Bama.45 wrote:...I told him no sir last time I checked my grenades and WMD's were at home...
"Why are you searching my house?"

"You told an officer you had WMD's here."

"That was a joke!"

"Then you have nothing to worry about."

:oops:

And THAT is why officers make small talk.
MyWifeSaidYes
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:...I told him no sir last time I checked my grenades and WMD's were at home...
"Why are you searching my house?"

"You told an officer you had WMD's here."

"That was a joke!"

"Then you have nothing to worry about."

:oops:

And THAT is why officers make small talk.

Like I said every cop isn't out to get you or hassle you...He took it as the joke it was just like I took his questions about grenades and WMD's as a joke..In the words of the Joker.."Why so serious!?"..I've lived 38 years of my life without being thrown in jail or detained..I pretty much know how to tell when someone is joking and serious :wink:
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Bama.45 wrote: Like I said every cop isn't out to get you or hassle you...He took it as the joke it was just like I took his questions about grenades and WMD's as a joke..In the words of the Joker.."Why so serious!?"..I've lived 38 years of my life without being thrown in jail or detained..I pretty much know how to tell when someone is joking and serious :wink:
Just pointing out how easy it is to get information from people using social engineering.

Not every neighborhood has "nice" cops.
MyWifeSaidYes
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Oh I know there are some bad cops and cops with bad attitudes, usually those show their attitude when contact is first initiated..I've had interactions with those type of cops too... Then I just get the stop over as quick as possible...I ran into a license and insurance check point once in Alabama...They don't have to give warnings there,its nothing to hit a checkpoint when you least expect it..The deputy asked for my license and insurance, I complied and he looked surprised when I gave him my insurance card,he ran my plate and as he was handing my license back to me... Proceeded to ask me where I was going and where I had been... I Politely asked him if I was under suspicion of a crime?... He said no, I proceeded to politely tell him where I had been and where I was going was really none of his business and asked if I was free to go... He waved me on.

I also had an Alabama city cop stop me for a license plate light being out, and as soon as she approached my car told me the reason for the stop, then ask me if I had any weapons in the car... I asked her, what did she mean by weapons?..
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

1johnb

Post by 1johnb »

Maybe after initial contact she was at ease. And that she communicated it by saying such. Her instincts and the situation involving the op's stop probably led to the statement.
I doubt the vehicle had swastikas etc, and the op probably doesn't look like Charles Manson, not that they are allowed to profile.

Some look to be offended for no reason at all. :shock:
Superman

Post by Superman »

muxtech wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
as she claimed many forget.
I am wondering how they are handling those drivers?
I've heard similar allegations before. I think she's referring to licensees who are unarmed at the time and therefore, "forget".
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a CCW permit holder is required to notify such unless they are armed or transporting a "loaded handgun".

Regards
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Superman wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a CCW permit holder is required to notify such unless they are armed or transporting a "loaded handgun".

Regards
Correct. And for someone who is not into things as much as we are, there are a lot of things going through his mind at a traffic stop, not to mention the fear and anxiety factors, and the requirement to notify may not be on top of everything else. Ergo, the question as to being armed as the first thing out of the officer's mouth helps trigger the memory for those people and possibly avoids problems. Doesn't bother me in the least.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand