Camp Perry National Matches - you going?

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock Rock

Camp Perry National Matches - you going?

Post by Glock Rock »

Can you carry on a military base?

http://www.odcmp.com/NationalMatches.htm
MDM

Post by MDM »

Absolutely not!!!!!!!! And...the firearm you take to shoot in the matches must have the mag removed and a unloaded chamber indicator in it at ALL times until you`re on the line and instructed to load you weapon.

If you have the chance, go. I went up last year and shot my M1 carbine in the Garand match.
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Camp Perry National Matches - you going?

Post by Petrovich »

Glock Rock wrote:Can you carry on a military base?

http://www.odcmp.com/NationalMatches.htm
Given the fact it's a government facility...NO!!!!!

And that's fed not state....was that way long before HB12
Mad Duck

Carry at Perry

Post by Mad Duck »

I contacted Camp Perry concerning this last year.
Camp Perry is property of the State of Ohio, & you can carry on the property, but you cannot enter any of the buildings, including those that makeup commerical row.
So unless they have made any changes you can carry while walking around, or keep it in your vehicle.
(open chamber, with flag is for competitive firearms)
Glock Rock

Re: Carry at Perry

Post by Glock Rock »

Mad Duck wrote:I contacted Camp Perry concerning this last year.
Camp Perry is property of the State of Ohio, & you can carry on the property, but you cannot enter any of the buildings, including those that makeup commerical row.
So unless they have made any changes you can carry while walking around, or keep it in your vehicle.
Thanks for the legwork and rational answer Duck. :D
John Salyers

Re: Carry at Perry

Post by John Salyers »

Glock Rock wrote:
Mad Duck wrote:I contacted Camp Perry concerning this last year.
Thanks for the legwork and rational answer Duck. :D
This is no longer the case as of the end of June. While it is State property they do not have their facts straight concerning the law. They are saying now that no concealed carry is allowed anywhere on base and have a sign posted at the main gate. It would be best to have all firearms unloaded and stored properly before entering to avoid an unpleasant experience.

The following came from a spokesperson for Camp Perry:

"No concealed carry is permitted on Camp Perry per state law. Your weapon must be unloaded and stored in your vehicle in accordance with Ohio law. If someone is caught carrying on state property they will not be warned, but turned over to the Ohio State Highway Patrol for prosecution. We will make this very clear at the main gate."
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Took this morning:

Ring

Post by Ring »

they are wrong and un informed.
someone should call them and TELL them what the law is..
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

It would seem they are wrong.

It's very funny in a way. Gunfire going off like crazy but you can't carry. :roll:

:lol:
Ring

Post by Ring »

when the MP stops you at the gate, do you have to notify him you are carrying like a cop? or no?
Ring

Post by Ring »

under ORC what is defined as "law enforcement"
Ring

Post by Ring »

just called them.
lady on the phone said they are both state and fed?

she then transferd me to the base comander, who wasent in, then someone else who wasnt there as well..
John Salyers

Post by John Salyers »

Ring wrote:when the MP stops you at the gate, do you have to notify him you are carrying like a cop? or no?
I go to Camp Perry quite often for work related issues. I do not offer them any information if they don't ask. The last few times I have been there they have not asked about weapons in the vehicle. There have been a few times that they have wanted to see my pistol to make sure it was locked up and unloaded. I now stop before I get there and clear my carry gun to avoid any problems.

I'm not sure if the unit police have enforcement powers or not. Looks to me like they would hold a person for the OSP if there was a violation.

There was a command change there recently and shortly after is when these changes in policy started.
appliance brad

Post by appliance brad »

Not only do they not know the law, the simple idiocy that I can bring in any number of rifles and ammo but can't carry concealed on state owned property is absurd.

I may consider not going this year.
Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives should be a 24/7 convenience store, not a government agency.

www.firearmsalliance.org
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Ring wrote:when the MP stops you at the gate, do you have to notify him you are carrying like a cop? or no?
It wasn't an MP who checked my ID - just some nice guy in BDU's putting in his reservist time.