Patriots Day Celebration, April 21, 2018

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Patriots Day Celebration, April 21, 2018

Post by Chuck »

Where: Ohio Statehouse 1 Capitol Square, Columbus, Ohio 43215
When: Saturday, April 21 at 11 AM - 2 PM
Who: Ohioans for Concealed Carry and our friends at Ohio Carry
Why: April 21, we will celebrate our heritage of freedom.
On April 19, 1775, soldiers of the English Crown attempted to disarm the towns of Lexington and Concord Massachusetts by seizing their powder and ball magazines.
The Colonial Militias were called out, and the minutemen met the British "regulars" on the town common in Lexington, and the colonials lost 10 men, but no powder was lost. The British then moved to Concord where they did manage to capture a few cannon and were met by more militia on the North Bridge, where "the shot heard 'round the world" was fired. After suffering losses they retreated to Boston with Colonial sniper forces firing on them.
All told the British suffered 174 wounded, that day, with an additional 73 killed, and 26 missing.
The American Riflemen saved the day!

This is our heritage, and owning our own rifles/firearms is our birthright as Americans.

Come join us in our celebration of freedom in the greatest country on Earth

See you there!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Patriots Day Celebration, April 21, 2018

Post by WhyNot »

GASP you mean private citizens had CANNONS?! :wink:

<bookmarked> :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Not having been there before except in passing, can one carry at this event or is the Capitol a CPZ?
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techmike wrote:Not having been there before except in passing, can one carry at this event or is the Capitol a CPZ?
Techmike, you're a Coordinator and ten plus year member of this board, but don't know about the legality of carry on Capitol grounds during a 2A advocacy event?

Really??
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Carrying is fine outside.
Don't carry in the garage.

See you there!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Brian D. wrote:
techmike wrote:Not having been there before except in passing, can one carry at this event or is the Capitol a CPZ?
Techmike, you're a Coordinator and ten plus year member of this board, but don't know about the legality of carry on Capitol grounds during a 2A advocacy event?

Really??
Yes Brian, really - that is why I asked. :D Also thought that anyone else considering attendance might want to know that too. We do get new members and visitors from time to time, and I believe that conditions of carry at the venue should be posted along with the other event information.
Mike-in-Toledo
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

it's kind of a shame that someone who out and out refuses to help criticizes someone who does
Ain't activism fun?

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Chuck wrote:Carrying is fine outside.

See you there!
Chuck... how does this work? I parked in the garage below the Statehouse for the rally last weeks as did hundreds of others. There were guns both long and short all over the place outside. Was it technically "Illegal" to carry from the cars to the grounds?

Nice to meet you there by the way...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Yes, "technically" it was
OSHP let me be known they wouldn't enforce it but I personally ain't taking that chance
I park across the street in the open lot for rallies, and I stow my gun in my vehicle in the garage if I am going inside
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Americans who are worried about gun confiscation have good cause to be concerned. Even before we were a nation, gun confiscation was attempted. In fact, one factor that lead to the Revolutionary War was confiscation of firearms.

Early in 1774, the British Parliament passed the Coercive Act, which was intended to keep the American colonies dependent on Britain. These included the prohibition of town meetings and created a new court system in the colonies. This new court system did not allow Americans accused of crimes to be tried in the colonies. They were to be transported to Britain for trial, which meant that they would never see America again. These prohibitions angered the Americans, and that anger grew throughout New England.

Later in 1774, General Thomas Gage was ordered to be commander in chief of the British Regular army and governor of Massachusetts. One of his first acts was to prohibit town meetings. This was met with resistance, which the Regular Army was unsure how to respond to. Gage, however, decided that he needed to remove from the colonists the means to violent resistance. In his mind, he was trying to prevent a war by taking from the colonists arms and gun powder.

On September 1, 1774, Gage sent forces to take the gunpowder from the largest storehouse in New England, six miles from Boston. American colonists had become worried about this possibility, so they quietly removed privately owned powder from the storehouse, leaving only the Crown’s powder. Gage’s men removed 250 half-barrels of gunpowder, which pleased him greatly. The American colonists, however, were not pleased—they were angered. They believed that the Regulars had stolen the Province’s powder, and it sent the people into a near-panic. Men armed themselves and prepared for war. Over 4,000 men gathered at Cambridge, surrounding the house of the man who had given the Regulars the key to the powder house. The colonists had begun to think how to resist the Regulars, while the governor was thinking that he would be successful in removing means to resist, preventing war.

Gage, in response to the anger, ordered the town of Boston to be closed, with heavy cannon placed to prevent “country people” from storming the town. Private weapons were ordered to be surrendered, and merchants were forced to sell powder to the Crown. Gage also asked for 20,000 more troops to be stationed in the Boston area.

In December 1774, Gage once again tried to seize munitions that were already on American soil. He also prohibited the importation of new powder and firearms from England. The target for his next raid was Fort William and Mary, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Paul Revere made a wild, dangerous ride on horseback through mud, slush and snow to reach the town before the Regulars arrived by ship. Based on reports from Paul Revere, 400 men assembled to take the fort. The fort was manned by 6 British Regulars, who attempted to resist, but were overwhelmed by sheer numbers. The fort was lost to the Crown, and the powder stored there was taken by the colonists to the interior of the country. Soon, many towns had begun to move cannon and munitions to the interior, where the Crown was not likely to find them.

In February, 1775, Gage’s next target was the town of Salem, Massachusetts. The townspeople had acquired ship’s cannons, which they were converting to use on land, and they had managed to import 8 brass guns. Gage wanted the cannons. He chose a Sunday afternoon, when the townspeople would be at church to confiscate their munitions. As the Regulars advanced, their presence was made known, the townspeople were alerted, and men poured out of their meetinghouses. The men armed themselves and faced the Regulars. The Salem militia was at the head of the British Column, and the Marblehead militia was at the rear. The Colonists were ready for a fight, and it would have become one if not for the actions of a pastor who arranged a compromise. The Regulars could advance to the forge where the cannons were reported to be, and if none were found, they were to leave. The cannons had been removed before the troops had arrived, so the British found nothing, and went back to their ships empty-handed.

Gage was not finished. His most famous powder alarm was on the morning of April 19, 1775. That was the final straw, and it sparked a long war which lead to our independence.
Ain't activism fun?

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

This is going to be a great time! Hope to see a lot of you there.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Sounds like fun!!
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

Seems I remember hearing about this. If I remember right OSP was trying to say the garage was an extension of the statehouse and therefore you couldn't carry in there. This was after they remove the ban on having guns in your vehicle in the garage.

OSP is supposed to call me about the rally April 21. I'll see if I can get more information then. It's going to have to come from someone higher up the food chain than a trooper.

Gary

Chuck wrote:Yes, "technically" it was
OSHP let me be known they wouldn't enforce it but I personally ain't taking that chance
I park across the street in the open lot for rallies, and I stow my gun in my vehicle in the garage if I am going inside
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

Sorry to contradict a director but OSP Sgt. Shirey called me about the rally. I told him that we needed to verify that it is legal to carry firearms inside the statehouse underground parking garage and he said it is as long as you don't try to go into the statehouse. So there's no problem carrying from your car in the underground garage to the statehouse grounds.

After he got done laughing when I told him we made a point of not having politicians (he was concerned about security for people like Mary Taylor) he said no fences shouldn't be a problem - he was going to run that by his Lt. and get back with me.

Gary
gaptrick wrote:
Chuck wrote:Carrying is fine outside.

See you there!
Chuck... how does this work? I parked in the garage below the Statehouse for the rally last weeks as did hundreds of others. There were guns both long and short all over the place outside. Was it technically "Illegal" to carry from the cars to the grounds?

Nice to meet you there by the way...
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/105.41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(N) Any person may possess a firearm in a motor vehicle in the state underground parking garage at the state capitol building, if the person's possession of the firearm in the motor vehicle is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code or any other provision of the Revised Code. Any person may store or leave a firearm in a locked motor vehicle that is parked in the state underground parking garage at the state capitol building, if the person's transportation and possession of the firearm in the motor vehicle while traveling to the garage was not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code or any other provision of the Revised Code.

This is the law as written
I believe that grown adults can make their own decisions
As for me, I stand by my earlier post
Ain't activism fun?