First Time CMP Match ! (report)

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

First Time CMP Match ! (report)

Post by JU-87 »

First Time Match
So I've been a CMP customer for a few years now, but I'd never participated in a CMP sanctioned match. There either weren't any matches in my area, or I didn't have anyone to really introduce me to the activity, or the Air Force had other plans for my time. Anyhow, work recently brought me to the Kansas City area, and I found that the Pioneer Gun Club of KC hosts CMP matches, so I went out and gave it a shot last Saturday (pun intended).

What. A. Blast. There were sixteen shooters who came out; most had ARs or M1As, but there were five of us with Garands. I had a vague idea of what to expect, but several of the folks there were very helpful in guiding me along where there might have been confusion. Very well-run match and a lovely facility.

I shot a 245-2X. I was kinda hoping for better, but the offhand was awful (one miss, which I still can't believe....everything else was at least comfortably on paper). Just leaves room for improvement I suppose.

Lessons learned:
-Get out and do it! I grew up shooting for fun with friends and family on the back 40 and didn't think I was missing out on anything. But shooting at 200 yards with 15 other guys on the same firing line, all on the same page, and keeping careful score of every shot puts a whole new spin on the hobby and was a ton of fun...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php ... ost1638610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: First Time CMP Match ! (report)

Post by Javelin Man »

Sounds like a lot of fun, and educational as well. Any time anybody can get into a little friendly competition or event is a good experience. I look forward to the combat pistol shoot each year and have done the rifle shoot at Camp Perry as well, everyone has a great time. :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Wow - you suck - Totally kidding! Im just about to shoot my 1st (rimfire) Appleseed.

I applaud the report! that is neat (totally not kidding).

As you've stated the big deal is to get out and do it.. I can dream all day from the couch how it'll go, but until the experice - its just visualization(insert your-happy-ending here).

What was the 245 (score I presume) out of?
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Aesinsp wrote: What was the 245 (score I presume) out of?
Figure a possible 10 points for each round fired, our club shot the 50 round National Match version so 500 would be a perfect score in that particular style match. It's amazing how rapidly points can drop off for small errors, and if you throw one away that's 10 points.. the X's are the X ring in the center of the bullseye. if 2 contestants have the same numerical score the X count is used to break the tie.
According to the NRA: "Four strings of fire are the basic building blocks of any NRA High Power rifle course of fire or tournament. These are:

1. Slow Fire, standing - 10 rounds at 200 yards in 10 minutes.
2. Rapid Fire, sitting or kneeling - 10 rounds at 200 yards in 60 seconds.
3. Rapid Fire, 10 rounds prone - 300 yards in 70 seconds.
4. Slow Fire, 10 rounds prone - 500 or 600 yards in 10 minutes.

Every NRA High Power Rifle match for which classification records are kept is a multiple or a combination of one or more of these strings. The popular National Match 50-shot Course, for instance, consists of 10 rounds slow fire standing; 10 rounds rapid fire sitting or kneeling; 10 rounds rapid fire prone and 20 rounds slow fire prone.
for ranges less than 600 yards, you can get official scaled CMP targets, where the target rings get smaller and smaller as you progress toward the slowfire prone course of fire.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Thank you for the low down on scoring!
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe