Fun N Gun Roll Call And AAR

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Fun N Gun Role Call And AAR

Post by Jake »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Ignoring and walking away from a helpless, defenseless baby being abused would be a tough decision regardless of the circumstances.
Indeed it would.

The bottom line is, we all need to be willing to live with the consequences of our own actions for better or worse.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Thanks to everyone who came out and shot with us!!!

I had a lot of fun showing off the hand cannon. Everybody who dared handled it just fine, including the arthritic and teenage girls. Some of the more skilled shooters even recovered from the blast well enough that they could've double-tapped! :shock: :mrgreen: 8)

And yeah, it was a Taurus. :P
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Hey all - I was the monkey with the camera and a drone. With today being mothers day, I have been busy taking care of the fam, I did start to go through video footage, that stuff usually takes quite a bit so bear with me.

Sometime tomorrow or Tuesday I will have pictures up, but for now here are last years at TDI: http://www.toddjayphotography.com/2016/ ... n-and-Gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I won't have any shots of fireballs coming out the front of the guns, too much sunlight yesterday, but there are lots with shells in the air.

Great times yesterday, I was so busy shooting and watching others having fun, I didn't pull a single trigger yesterday.

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

At the next one, I'm not going to put my first name on the shirt sticker, rather I'm writing "Mr Glock". He's cooler and better looking anyway. :mrgreen:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It was nice meeting you Mr. Glock!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Chuck wrote:It was nice meeting you Mr. Glock!
Likewise. And good to participate in your excellent FoF.

I've never seen a grown man of your stature play with a baby so well. Kind of jealous of your strong relationship with Jake
though.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

What a great time! I've never been able to attend a Fun N Gun before, and had never done IDPA or anything like it before either so this was all new and fresh for me.

I do however have a couple of NRA credentials including RSO so of course OFCC put me to work as group leader for Group D, and I was assisted by my good friend and Gun Show partner Chris K. I couldn't have asked for a better group - they made it easy to run the scenarios, were very attentive to suggestions, and most importantly kept things safe! There was a mix of experience levels in my group from very novice, only have the basic CHL class and some practice on their own, up to some that were clearly much more experienced and used to running stages like this.

Fortunately there was enough time for everyone to be able to make multiple runs through each stage, and still enough time for Chris and me to get to shoot some as well. It was exciting to see the improvement people made as we progressed, though by the last stage of the day it was clear we were all starting to get a bit tired so marksmanship started to suffer - but, safety, tactics and how they approached the stage did not falter from what I could see.

The force-on-force stage was a lot of fun, and I thought very realistic. My wife and I survived the first scenario. It was clear to me that Jake was trouble and was getting aggressive so we decided it was time to exit, but before we were able to do so Jake pulled his gun on Chuck and I shot him twice - I just wish *Chuck* had given me a reason! Even though we survived, Jake and Chuck had some good suggestions on things we could have done better, and I really appreciated their feedback.

Unfortunately, we did not fare so well on the second scenario where we were seated in a disabled vehicle waiting for a tow. I completely blew situation awareness which pretty well spelled the end for us. I had never considered that situation before, and still don't know what the best way to have handled that scenario would have been even if I hadn't focused completely on Chuck and been aware of Jake's approach. I feel like I should have handled things differently from the very beginning, but not sure how.

Lunch was provided by the great folks at Rochester Gun Club, and they deserve our heartfelt thanks for hosting the event. I gave a brief talk after lunch on the pro-gun legislation currently pending in the OGA, and we also got to hear a bit more about HB 142 (repeal of mandatory notification) and a short Q&A session with Rep. Wiggam who was able to join us for part of the day.

I'm already looking forward to our next FNG!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Fun N Gun Roll Call And AAR

Post by OldManTod »

Some of the feedback I gave a handful of groups that I was there photographing and observing was that if there are two of you and a situation arises, in this case with the lovely couple, you determine which "offender" you are monitoring and your partner taking the "other" offender.

So for instance when trouble arose in the restaurant, you would advise your wife or dining partner that you are watching Jake in the yellow and she would watch Chuck in the black in the event of an escalation.

In some of the scenarios, Jake and Chuck split from each other and while the couple was focusing on Jake, Chuck pulled his gun and shot the couple. In one case Chuck shot the couple because Jake was harming the baby and when the couple pulled their guns, Chuck was defending Jake and the baby from being harmed by a now armed couple.

Other scenarios people sat entirely too long in their chairs, the person with their back to the escalation would crane his neck around to see what was up instead of standing up and moving to the other side of the table or making an excuse to get his back to the wall.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in group B for being such a great group of shooters. Everyone stayed safe, and had fun, and that makes for a great day!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sounds like the Chuck 'n' Jay scenario was something that would suck in real life, but there was a way to at least "survive". That is the right way to run training in my opinion, especially with those not used to doing it. Deliberately creating a "Kobiashi Maru" (no-win) scenario should be reserved for people who are farther along and frankly need some air let out of their tires, so to speak.

My employer once spent a bunch of money to send a few of us to a "reality based" fire/rescue/EMS seminar that included elaborate scenarios ALL set up to make the students fail. By day two we were cheating so as to not get "killed" every time.

We learned nothing from that week, other than swearing off travel to Orlando in the summer ever again.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thanks Brian!

You've seen a lot of training
Do you know why everyone moved their chair before lunch and no one did afterward?

That just fascinates me
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

It's because their brain was sluggish digesting all that delicious food we had for lunch.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:Thanks Brian!

You've seen a lot of training
Do you know why everyone moved their chair before lunch and no one did afterward?

That just fascinates me
I reread what you stated earlier just now. And thought about it, again. Darned if I know, Chuck.

I love picking the brains of people like the staff at Tactical Defense Institute who do FoF all the time. For years, John Benner had a caretaker sort of employee (and I feel terrible forgetting his name, he passed away a couple years ago) who lived at TDI before John and his wife were able to build their house on the property and move there permanently. Point being, the man got used as a bad guy role player so often and for so long, he became VERY hard to "kill". Entire hostage rescue teams sent there for training would sometimes get wiped out. I asked Benner what he would do if, in real life, the guy ever went rogue and holed up someplace. "Probably back off and call in an airstrike".

This sort of training can be THAT good.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jake wrote:It's because their brain was sluggish digesting all that delicious food we had for lunch.
Crossed my mind as a possibility, Jake, but since I wasn't there... :mrgreen: Good one!

The only comparison I can think of is our annual Picnic in the Park. That many armed good folks, many of whom I've known forever...one can definitely gear down to Condition White at least parts of the day.

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Jake wrote:It's because their brain was sluggish digesting all that delicious food we had for lunch.
Also possible that, being sharp early in the day, they were "gaming" a little. Most people dont do that when they go out to eat normally. Some do, but is rare. Here, they "knew" something was going to happen.