Fun N Gun Roll Call And AAR

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Fun N Gun Roll Call And AAR

Post by Jake »

Mr Glock said, Some do, but is rare. Here, they "knew" something was going to happen.

I firmly believe that's why many went to their guns as quickly as they did.

In a real world scenario ithey wouldn't be so quick to get their hands on their guns.
At least I hope not!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:Also possible that, being sharp early in the day, they were "gaming" a little. Most people dont do that when they go out to eat normally. Some do, but is rare. Here, they "knew" something was going to happen.
When my wife and I go out to eat, I always position myself to be able to see as much of the room as I can with particular focus on entrances, and will frequently ignore the host/hostess's proffered seat for the one I want - and if there is a better table open will even ask to be re-seated there. My wife knows this and generally knows where I will want to sit and will shift her choice accordingly. What's funny is when we are out to eat with my two sons, who also want to sit facing the room and entrances because that's what I taught them to do. I've had to get a bit insistent with them upon occasion and assert my authority as dad to get the seat I want - but, at some point I imagine I'll relinquish control and let the younger folks take care of the duty of protector. Someday. Maybe. :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

JustaShooter wrote:. . . I always position myself to be able to see as much of the room as I can with particular focus on entrances . . .
And if I can't do that, a good view of the cash register. If "it" happens, that's probably where it'll at least start.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Most restaurants have a rear entrance (thru the kitchen?), that's where I try to be seated near.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We had one couple at the F-n-G who tried to leave through the kitchen.
We hadn't considered that

After that Jake made sure to tell them that there was no exit that way
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
GWC

Post by GWC »

Brian D.,

I believe his name was Ed. I never knew his last name

He was a great guy that taught me a lot about what to look for when someone is approaching me.
Ed was also a police hand to hand and martial arts instructor.

Sorry to hear he passed away.

Greg
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

GWC wrote:Brian D.,

I believe his name was Ed. I never knew his last name

He was a great guy that taught me a lot about what to look for when someone is approaching me.
Ed was also a police hand to hand and martial arts instructor.

Sorry to hear he passed away.

Greg
Yes it was Ed, thanks.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Chuck wrote:We had one couple at the F-n-G who tried to leave through the kitchen.
We hadn't considered that

After that Jake made sure to tell them that there was no exit that way
But there is always an exit that way. At least in my life of experience anyhow.

Restaurants take the trash out the back door, take deliveries through the back door. I always teach to look for that backdoor somewhere near the kitchen as an alternative exit to the front door.

Some restaurants are even using side doors for carryout service - that is an option as well.

Same thought process for why I teach (and practice) - don't sit in a booth if you can avoid it. A booth generally gives you one way of escape - toward the attacker if they are close enough. I would rather be in a chair that I can use to hit or trip the attacker if necessary.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

All true comments regarding exits.

for the sake of the exercise we were trying to limit options. We still left options.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Well... I had another fantastic day at Fun 'n Gun 2017!

It kinda seems, in reading through this thread... that the Fun 'n Gun is one stage of force on force. ?!

With absolutely all respect due to Jake & Chuck who put their blood, sweat & tears in to that stage, and a full day's worth of energy (maybe two days worth considering all the planning that likely goes in to it...) ...to me, it's just one stage of the Fun 'n Gun. If you have never done a FoF stage before, it is a serious eye opener.

This is not to say that I am an expert at doing a FoF stage (nope, no way, not even close) but I can absolutely say this much:

I've done FoF at six Fun 'n Guns. And they are creative and fluid and really not like anything else and almost impossible to "practice" for but for me... there is a very key element missing and not one easily corrected in any way that I can imagine.

The problem with a force on force stage is that every time I go in to this, I KNOW that some kind of ugly is gonna go down. For me, it's like as soon as I walk in to the building housing the stage, my brain is picking out WHO and HOW exactly I am gonna mow someone down. It's like having a muscle car and pulling up to a red light next to another muscle car. It isn't about whether or not you are gonna stomp on it -- it's only about looking for cops, pedestrians and a green light.

I suppose the way my pea brain works... the best FoF stage ever created and executed would be a stage you could do 15 times and only one of the 15 required presenting a handgun.

Gun guys in gun forums spend a -lot- of time pondering extreme situations and how you might deal with one. My biggest fear isn't losing a gun fight -- it's being completely aware that a gunfight is going to happen -AND- being in the lawful right with my reaction.

No, I am not saying that I have magical shooting, fighting & survival skills. I'm sure that I do not. What I am saying is that if I could use a wildcard on the legal aftermath... I would much rather rely on my ability with a handgun which is something that I actually feel like I have quite a bit of control over.

Anyway, I have volumes and truckloads of appreciation for what Jake & Chuck have poured in to all of these functions. But for me, the fun of the day are all the stages, meeting new shooters, chatting with folks that I have only before known as a forum user name, stuffing myself with morning donuts & a great lunch and TRYING desperately to remember shooting fundamentals and making good hits while trying to forget there is a clock running and 8-9 people watching me directly.

Oh... and also... that giant personal struggle that lasts from the first stage to the last stage. It goes like this:
"No, no, NO!!! No, you may not shoot down that drone. You cannot make any case that will let you get away with doing that. So just don't shoot the drone. Yes it sounds like an entire community of angry wasps, but no, you cannot shoot it."
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sevens wrote:
This is not to say that I am an expert at doing a FoF stage (nope, no way, not even close) but I can absolutely say this much:

I've done FoF at six Fun 'n Guns. And they are creative and fluid and really not like anything else and almost impossible to "practice" for but for me... there is a very key element missing and not one easily corrected in any way that I can imagine.

The problem with a force on force stage is that every time I go in to this, I KNOW that some kind of ugly is gonna go down. For me, it's like as soon as I walk in to the building housing the stage, my brain is picking out WHO and HOW exactly I am gonna mow someone down. It's like having a muscle car and pulling up to a red light next to another muscle car. It isn't about whether or not you are gonna stomp on it -- it's only about looking for cops, pedestrians and a green light.

I suppose the way my pea brain works... the best FoF stage ever created and executed would be a stage you could do 15 times and only one of the 15 required presenting a handgun.
I think that would leave attendees who paid good money feeling cheated. Your point is valid though imo.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

To address Seven's feedback.

If you sat and watched Chuck and I go through the scenario each and every single time, you'll see that it's different often.

A lot of what happens is dictated by what you do.

There were a few got up and walked out of the restaurant calling 9-1-1. Most didn't.

If you've done this before you know something is going to go down. So you're quick to get out of the draw. Not always your best choice in these scenarios.

That's why we like to have people observe the next participants going through the stage. It gives you a bird's-eye view so to speak. You're on the outside looking in.

And I also agree, the shooting stages are also a big part of it. Hopefully everyone left a little safer and a little better with their gear.

BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

Sevens wrote:Well... I had another fantastic day at Fun 'n Gun 2017!
it's like as soon as I walk in to the building housing the stage, my brain is picking out WHO and HOW exactly I am gonna mow someone down
Reminds me of something General Mattis supposedly said. Starts with "Be polite, be professional, but......"
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Sevens wrote: The problem with a force on force stage is that every time I go in to this, I KNOW that some kind of ugly is gonna go down. For me, it's like as soon as I walk in to the building housing the stage, my brain is picking out WHO and HOW exactly I am gonna mow someone down.
^^This^^
I'm trying to creep people out by playing "patty-cake" and "got your nose!" with this doll the whole time Jake is explaining the exercise and seating them at their table. They KNOW the only reason they're in the room is to get into a gunfight, and that weirdo over there thinks he has a real kid.
Created some real tension, I think

Sevens wrote: But for me, the fun of the day are all the stages, meeting new shooters, chatting with folks that I have only before known as a forum user name, stuffing myself with morning donuts & a great lunch and TRYING desperately to remember shooting fundamentals and making good hits while trying to forget there is a clock running and 8-9 people watching me directly.
^^THIS^^

This is what Fun-n-Gun is really all about, the camaraderie and fellowship, matching skills, concentrating under the clock, etc.
It is also something I tend to miss out on, being under that darn face shield all day long, and one reason I wanted to chat with you after it was all over.

First and foremost, it's a shooting event

Sevens wrote: Oh... and also... that giant personal struggle that lasts from the first stage to the last stage. It goes like this:
"No, no, NO!!! No, you may not shoot down that drone. You cannot make any case that will let you get away with doing that. So just don't shoot the drone. Yes it sounds like an entire community of angry wasps, but no, you cannot shoot it."
You too?
I thought I was the only one
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Chuck wrote:
Sevens wrote: Oh... and also... that giant personal struggle that lasts from the first stage to the last stage. It goes like this:
You too?
I thought I was the only one
Not even close! When that thing took off just behind us at the beginning of the day my fist thought was "I *knew* I should have brought my shotgun!"
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!