IPSC safety question

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

IPSC safety question

Post by glocksmith »

I was browsing Youtube videos and came across this footage. Between 0:26 and 0:27 there are three people standing directly in front of the shooter as he travels down a corridor. Is this permitted? Seems to me that anybody in that position would be swept by a live muzzle. Like the guy at 0:10 too :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84lxWkLvavA
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: IPSC safety question

Post by dl1911 »

Only watched the first stage and don't think the people seen at 0:10 are a problem. It looks like they're behind the firing line. Most USPSA/ISPC stages have a 180 rule. Pistol bays have backstops on 3 sides and if the muzzle direction starts pointing back towards the people waiting their turn by even the slightest amount, you're DQed. Sometimes the targets can get close to that and you have to make sure you don't break it. You break the 180, you're stopped and disqualified. The people at 0:10 are behind the firing line and I'd have had them move back further, but probably safe from what I can tell. The others further on should not be there from what I can see. At least one is in front of the firing line. I've done photos and videos of matches and work to never be in front of the shooter. Draw an imaginary line across the bay from their location and I'm always behind it. These were not.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

It looked to me like they are in front of the shooter at :25 because he is running up range at that point in the video.

In other words, I think he turned around and is traveling back towards where he started the stage from at this point in the video.

The people are still standing behind the 180, which from the shooter's frame of reference would mean the handgun can point behind him, or to his left and right, but not to his front (which is up range, where the spectators are). The 180 orientation does not change if the shooter turns around.

So to me this looked ok, so long as the shooter maintains the 180. The handgun is off camera at parts, so I can't tell for certain.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Watched frame by frame, the shadow of the shooter shows that he has ejected his magazine and loads a new one just as he ducks down to re-engage.

I would guess (hope?) that his muzzle was facing 'stage left' on his run back towards the spectators.
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Yeah, I still feel like at 0:10 and 0:27 people are in the muzzle sweep zone. I also wondered if maybe he had some weird wide-angle lens on his helmet cam that was making things look worse than they really are.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
gransport

Post by gransport »

The people at 0:10 and 0:27 appear to be well outside the 180. Sometimes it's hard to tell on video.

I do these competitions every week and certainly from time to time, the 180 rule is broken. It's an immediate DQ. That said, the shooters own the space up to the 180 and is free to use it.

Still, you will see people stay away from standing in certain places when a newish shooter is on the line. :shock:

I see you're in SW Ohio. There are matches all over, you should check one out. Lots of fun and it'll make you a better, safer shooter.

First Saturday - Circleville, Ohio at Pickaway County
First Sunday - Oxford, Ohio at the Izzak Walton League of America Tallawanda Chapter
Third Sunday - Miamisburg, Ohio at the Miamisburg Sportsman Club
Forth Sunday - Milford, Ohio at Miami Pistol and Rifle Club

Every Monday evening at Miamisburg Sportsman Club (indoors)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

gransport wrote:
I see you're in SW Ohio. There are matches all over, you should check one out. Lots of fun and it'll make you a better, safer shooter.

First Sunday - Oxford, Ohio at the Izzak Walton League of America Tallawanda Chapter

Sidebar: I was recently told that a club in Brookville Indiana (not far from SW Ohio) has started up IPSC and/or a variant of Three Gun matches. Haven't looked into it myself. You have any info?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
gransport

Post by gransport »

Brian D. wrote:
gransport wrote:

Sidebar: I was recently told that a club in Brookville Indiana (not far from SW Ohio) has started up IPSC and/or a variant of Three Gun matches. Haven't looked into it myself. You have any info?
Haven't heard anything on that. I do know that there are quite a few active clubs in both IN and KY.
If 3-Gun is you're interest, check out Clinton County and Circleville. I don't have any details though.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks. Three Gun can be very time consuming. And if you want to participate regularly, it involves some travel.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.