Appleseed

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Appleseed

Postby dingode » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:02 pm

I attended the Appleseed in Gibsonburg over the weekend and it was a blast! I'm sure everyone has read reviews of Appleseed events so I won't go into a long rambling post but will say it is worth every cent for what you learn about shooting and about American history.

I few things I'd consider mandatory for anyone going to one.

A small pair of binoculars to check your target. We were trying to get as many AQT's in as possible so we skipped going downrange a few times, the binos came in very handy.

Water and chap stick. It was kinda cold this weekend, but very windy. It was pretty dehydrating and my lips got pretty chapped with the wind.

More than one mat. I used a small tarp, ground blanket, and a cheap foam sleeping pad. I ditched the elbow pads early on as my setup didn't require them.

Get the GI sling. I figured the sling I had would work, and it did, but the GI sling would have been so much better.

A teachable attitude and don't get frustrated.

BTW, got my rifleman patch with a score of 215! I used iron sights (tec sites) and the factory barrel on my 10/22 I think switching ammo to a better quality on Sunday really helped. Plinker ammo just wasn't cutting it.

I'll attend again and continue with iron sights until I score 210+ again, then I'm going to try it with a scope.
dingode
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Toledo

Re: Appleseed

Postby JustaShooter » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Huzzah! And congratulations in joining those Americans "who know what they are about"!

If you have one and are inclined, take an AR with you next time. It is a wonderful feeling to score Rifleman with a center fire rifle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Appleseed

Postby Javelin Man » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Congratulations! I've been to the Appleseed at Gibsonburg three times and have learned everytime. I've not received a Rifleman Patch, but I haven't tried hard either. My Mossberg M44 with iron peep sights was the most accurate of all the rifles there (I nearly had a perfect score on the tiny squares) but the bolt action kept me from reloading and regaining the sights quickly enough. I used my Swiss K31 when we went to the 500 yard range and that was Super FUN! Hopefully you got to play long ball.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 6890
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:53 pm
Location: Sandusky County

Re: Appleseed

Postby WY_Not » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Another Huzzah! Been a couple years since I've been to Gibsonburg but when I lived up that way I was there quite a few times as an Instructor. Are they still camping/shooting at the "cowboy town" range?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: Appleseed

Postby TSiWRX » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09 am

Congrats!

And thanks for the tips!!! :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
User avatar
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 6615
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm
Location: Cleveland/Shaker Heights

Re: Appleseed

Postby Morne » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am

EXCELLENT!!! :mrgreen:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
User avatar
Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director
 
Posts: 10450
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Wayne County

Re: Appleseed

Postby dingode » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:36 pm

The course was on the cowboy range, not sure about the camping though I don't think anyone spent the night. I took my AR, but the stupid front sling stud hole was too small for the swivel pin to go through, so I'll have to drill it out a bit. They did go over to the 500yd range, but I skipped it since I didn't have a sling for the AR.

I really think a good trigger helps also. My 20+ yr old 10/22 had a TERRIBLE trigger even after tens of thousands of rounds. I recently put a Volquartsen kit in it and wow what a difference! I really don't think I could have shot near as well with the factory trigger.
dingode
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Toledo

Re: Appleseed

Postby Javelin Man » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 pm

dingode wrote:The course was on the cowboy range, not sure about the camping though I don't think anyone spent the night. I took my AR, but the stupid front sling stud hole was too small for the swivel pin to go through, so I'll have to drill it out a bit. They did go over to the 500yd range, but I skipped it since I didn't have a sling for the AR.

I really think a good trigger helps also. My 20+ yr old 10/22 had a TERRIBLE trigger even after tens of thousands of rounds. I recently put a Volquartsen kit in it and wow what a difference! I really don't think I could have shot near as well with the factory trigger.


You should have tried the range with your AR anyway. My Swiss K31 doesn't have a sling and I hit the target. With the excellent instruction you received, you may have surprised yourself.

Good for you for putting a quality trigger in your rifle and recognizing the need.

What was the biggest item you brought home from the weekend as in knowledge or experience?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 6890
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:53 pm
Location: Sandusky County

Re: Appleseed

Postby JustaShooter » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:05 pm

dingode wrote:I really think a good trigger helps also. My 20+ yr old 10/22 had a TERRIBLE trigger even after tens of thousands of rounds. I recently put a Volquartsen kit in it and wow what a difference! I really don't think I could have shot near as well with the factory trigger.

I know what you mean. I had carefully polished the trigger and sear before my first Appleseed but it was still the original factory pull weight with all the creep it started with. I was able to shoot Rifleman with it but installed a Volquartsen hammer & spring kit soon after getting home - and yes, a night & day difference. I thought I'd be shooting it again at the next Appleseed but decided at the last minute to run my Rock River the whole weekend and I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed it - the Rock River two stage trigger was just about perfect for that type of shooting, and the rifle and I really worked well together.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Appleseed

Postby WY_Not » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:40 am

No one camped? Ouch. That was one of the fun parts, sitting around that big fire ring under the silo roof in the evening and students and instructors shooting the breeze.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: Appleseed

Postby dingode » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Javelin Man wrote:
dingode wrote:The course was on the cowboy range, not sure about the camping though I don't think anyone spent the night. I took my AR, but the stupid front sling stud hole was too small for the swivel pin to go through, so I'll have to drill it out a bit. They did go over to the 500yd range, but I skipped it since I didn't have a sling for the AR.

I really think a good trigger helps also. My 20+ yr old 10/22 had a TERRIBLE trigger even after tens of thousands of rounds. I recently put a Volquartsen kit in it and wow what a difference! I really don't think I could have shot near as well with the factory trigger.


You should have tried the range with your AR anyway. My Swiss K31 doesn't have a sling and I hit the target. With the excellent instruction you received, you may have surprised yourself.

Good for you for putting a quality trigger in your rifle and recognizing the need.

What was the biggest item you brought home from the weekend as in knowledge or experience?


Though I learned a lot about using the sling for stability I really, really like the history, and I'm not much of a history guy. We all learned the generic history in school, but to hear the stories of individuals and their bravery was pretty darn inspiring.
dingode
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Toledo

Re: Appleseed

Postby Aesinsp » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:30 pm

The wife and I are strongly considering attending an upcoming Appleseed shoot.
I'd be curious to know what attendees have used as far as brand of 22LR ammo in stock barreled/triggered Ruger 10/22 take down or carbine models?
Thanks for any previous experiences - Carry on.
The enemy's goal is chaos and division.. United we stand - divided we fall.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Appleseed

Postby JustaShooter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 pm

I found that Federal Champion 40gr lead and Blazer 40gr lead shot really well in my 10-22s. If I had to choose, I'd give the Blazer a slight edge. Short of buying match grade ammo, I couldn't do better.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4548
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: Appleseed

Postby cwcdl79 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 am

I'd second the cci blazer. The big thing is a Project Appleseed shoot will definitely ring out your equipment. make sure it's cleaned (specifically the chamber and receiver) with just enough lubricant to keep it running. You will most likely need to clean it again Saturday after finishing up for the day.
cwcdl79
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Trumbull County

Re: Appleseed

Postby Aesinsp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:59 am

Thank you both for the info.
The enemy's goal is chaos and division.. United we stand - divided we fall.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Central Ohio

Next

Return to Competition & Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest