M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events

Post by JustaShooter »

M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events After Out Of Battery and “Run Away” Discharges

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/09/15 ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A warning was issued a short time ago on the Appleseed instructor forum that the popular Smith & Wesson 15-22 is banned from Project Appleseed events nationwide after a series of out of battery discharges recorded at several events.

To: All Appleseed Instructors

Subject: TEMPORARY BAN ON SMITH & WESSON M&P 15/22 USE AT APPLESEED

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE USE OF SMITH AND WESSON M&P 15/22’S AT AN APPLESEED IS HEREBY BANNED UNTIL SMITH & WESSON FORMALLY INVESTIGATES THE PROBLEM AND ISSUES AN OFFICIAL CORRECTIVE ACTION. THE AOC WILL NOTIFY THE CADRE WHEN THIS BAN IS LIFTED.

The AOC has received a rash of reports regarding safety issues with the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22, including a shooter getting injured as a result of an out-of-battery discharge (see reports below).

As responsible Instructors, we have a duty to maintain safety at our events. If we know a rifle to be potentially unsafe, we shouldn’t allow it on the line at all.

At this time the least risk course of action would be to exclude the Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22 from future events until Smith & Wesson formally investigates the problem and issues an official corrective action.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events

Post by Mr. Glock »

Interesting....we have several thousands rounds through ours without issue, but survey size of one. It will be interesting to see if a limited issue or a widespread issue.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: M&P 15/22s Banned At Appleseed Events

Post by TSiWRX »

I'm interested to see where this goes, too. I got one for Anna/myself just this past summer. It had some FTE issues, but that was easily worked out with a little tweak to the extractor/ejector.

I haven't had any OOB or runaway trigger experiences, yet, and the gun has seen probably around 1K rounds, now.

Thanks for bringing this one up, JustaShooter.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio