Jeep's getting back into the groove - a training journey

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Re: Jeep's getting back into the groove - a training journey

Post by jeep45238 »

Allen, I planned on drilling a hole in the clip and putting he loop on, and tying it, with belt in place.

Your mind is about where mine was after posting, but hey - I'm tired and enjoy the sprinkles of humor in life.

Regarding a weighted mag, I'm planning on dedicating 2 mags to dryfire- one empty weight, 1 weighted.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Low light 'tactical' reloads/top offs--one of the subtle reasons I don't use a revolver for primary carry. Allen, if you have a link to some trainer who claims to have a great method for that, post it up so's I can have a belly laugh!
I once saw the Dalai Lama, but he wasn't teaching low-light revolver:

:P :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jeep45238 wrote:Allen, I planned on drilling a hole in the clip and putting he loop on, and tying it, with belt in place.
Cool! I think I have it imagined-out about right, but post-up a pic when you've got it set up, would you please? I think that I would want to make this addition to my kit, too, even though I haven't run into such an issue with my current setup (yet...always "yet" :P ).
Your mind is about where mine was after posting, but hey - I'm tired and enjoy the sprinkles of humor in life.
Sprinkle away, bruddah! :D
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

TSiWRX wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:Allen, I planned on drilling a hole in the clip and putting he loop on, and tying it, with belt in place.
Cool! I think I have it imagined-out about right, but post-up a pic when you've got it set up, would you please? I think that I would want to make this addition to my kit, too, even though I haven't run into such an issue with my current setup (yet...always "yet" :P ).
Sprinkle away, bruddah! :D
I'll tackle it once I actually find some sticking 550 cord - thought I bought a spool of it years ago, just don't know where it's at.

Sprinkles - non-pg mind just kicked in again.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I spent about 5 minutes working on getting a smooth reload monday through Thursday - today I'll be spending 5 minutes working the basics of double/single two handed and SHO/WHO, no timer, just sight picture confrimation. The reloads are getting smoother, and I've noticed indexing my elbow into my rib cage is eliminating some of the 'hunting for the magwell' that I've had. I need to be more consistent in how much I rotate the gun in my hand to angle the magwell towards the incoming magazine, and have enough rotation to see the inside of the magwell as well.

PT side of things, hit the limit for my grip strength sans aid today in deadlift, which is 265 pounds, next week will start doing alternating grip until I need to use wrist straps. I estimate this'll happen around 285 pounds. I'll be adding the power clean in next week, and didn't do any auxillary exercises this week mostly due to things happening in the morning that took away from gym time. I'm able to get my hands closer together on the bar for squat, which is letting me get the bar lower and onto a tighter back, feels much more solid and easier to press out of the hole. My elbows aren't popping with overhead press anymore, but my weak shoulders are letting me know with the trembles. I'm glad I'm doing these in a rack with the bars up, in case I mess up with the bar. Form can use a lot of improvement in overhead press, but I'm stoked that weights are going up and my elbows aren't popping.

30Jan17
Squat - 85x5. 95x3, 125x2
155x3, 155x5, 155x5 (added more rest between working sets) 2,975lbs
Overhead Press -65x5, 90x3
90x5, 90x5, 90x5 1815lb
Ran out of time for deadlift

01Feb17
Squat -90x5, 105x3, 130x2 3425lb
160x5, 160x5, 160x5
Bench Press -65x5, 90x3, 115x2 2515lb
130x5, 130x4, 130x4 (re-attempt next week same weight)
Deadlift -160x3, 230x2, 265x3 1735lb -didn't make sets

03Feb17
Squat -95x5, 105x3, 135x2 3535lb
165x5, 165x5, 165x5
Overhead Press -60x5, 70x3, 75x2 2085lb
95x5, 95x5, 95x5
Deadlift -155x3, 230x2, 265x1 (grip gave, slick bar - alternating grip next week) 1190lb - didn't make sets

Compared to last week, squat lbs moved is up 15%, overhead lb is up 31%, bench is up 4%, deadlift is holding even. Time to introduce the power clean me thinks.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Life continues on a roller coaster. I've gotten dry fire in a little less than half of the time, and decided to make sure I don't miss out on the gym. It's been a source of sanity for me. I've had issues with squats as my hip flexors are normally very tight, and I bicycle everywhere which makes me even less flexible. This has resulted in me stopping short on reps/sets on squats to avoid injury. I tapped my sister in law who's a PT for advice, and have done the stretches every day for 1 minute straight per leg. I now have none of those issues.

06FEB17
Squat 45x5, 45x5, 95x5, 105x3, 135x2
-125x5, 125x2, stopped due to severe hip pain

Bench 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 65x3, 105x2,
-130x5, 130x5, 130x5

Dead lift (switch grip) 135x3, 225x2, 265x5

08FEB17
Squat 45x5, 45x5, 60x5, 95x3, 125x2
150x5, 150x5, 150x5 - hip flexors hated me so much

Overhead Press 45x5, 45x5, 55x5, 70x3, 85x2
100x3 (wobbly) 95x5, 95x5 - need to focus on hip drive

Dead 95x5, 95x5, 140x3, 200x2
240x5 - switch grip

Stretched hip flexors after workout

10FEB17
Stretch hip flexors before workout
Forgot logbook, guessed on weights based off of this journal

Squat 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 100x3, 135x2
170x5, 170x5, 170x5 NO HIP FLEXOR LIMITATIONS

Bench Press 45x5, 45x5, 65x5, 90x3, 115x2,
135x5, 135x5, 130x5

Deadlift (switch grip) 100x5, 100x5, 155x5, 225x2
265x5

Barbell curls 45x5, 55x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5

Lying tricep press 75x5, 75x5, 75x5

Worked on figuring out the power clean movement - not pretty, but understand the concept

11Feb17
Didn't plan on working out - went to pick up the brother in law and his flight was delayed by over an hour, hit up a gym 10 minutes away and worked out in pants/long sleeve shirt, kicked off shoes and worked in socks. Jotted things down as I went. Went in really {inappropriate language} off at life. Left feeling normal.

Bench 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 140x3

Barbell curl 65x5, 75x5, 80x5

Squat 45x5, 85x5, 135x5, 150x5, 175x3

Overhead Press 45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 100x3

Dumbbell curl - ran the rack, started at 40, ended at 5, 5 pound drops, reps to exhaustion each set

Workout routine is changing up starting Monday, since my squats aren't being limited by my hip flexors nearly as much now and my deadlifts are about 100 pounds ahead of my squats.

Looking forward to getting this week over with.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Not going to update every single missed day, but here's the gist:

Life is better, school's more stressful (as expected), no more dog, dry fire has been maintained at a rate of every other day for a few minutes. No live fire.
Missed out on paid internships to Belize and the Arctic, possibly going to have a field job over the summer.
Finally got off my butt and got a lifting belt last week, a size too large but it's so much better than the foam core velcro things the gym has. Still have a hole left on adjustment, so as long as I don't loose 2-3 more inches the belt will work fine.
Got elected to the exec board for the student veteran association on campus. Looking forward to working with similar folks again.

PT wise I'm focusing on stretching for tight hips,
bench is platued at 135 pounds - working on that with variations/drop sets, etc.,
overhead press is at 110 and climbing
squat is at 200 and climbing
deadlift is at 300 and climbing
working on technique for the power clean with a working set of 100 pounds (sloppy as hell)

The gym has kept my sanity, and the dryfire has seemed like it's a chore right now.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Recently did the unthinkable and added a G19 gen 4 to the safe. Took it to the range with my Sig to verify no brass-to-the-face, which it passed muster for. Wanted to throw it into the berm for being a tighter group than my 226 while being more controlable first time out. Sig has Defoor rear, Dawson fiber front - Glock had stock sights with a sharpie on the back one. I respect Glocks, but don't like them.

Then again, this is why I wanted to focus on da/sa for a while - get better whenever I move back to a single action or striker fire - in addition to thumbing the hammer.

Made 3 test loads this morning, will test 5 rounds per pistol to find what the preferences are for each. Bullets are Lee 125 grain flat point with HiTek coating.

After accuracy loads are determined I'll be testing which of the 5 backstraps on the glock work best for me in the coming weeks. Wanting to avoid a beavertail one if I can, as it makes thumbing the gadget a bit less natural.

Hoping to get a lot of work done today, and get to the range for this and ring some steel on the rifle range this afternoon. Might have to wait a week.

Note - Glock is not going to be primary duty anytime soon. Very specific to certain uses for me.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Life's been hectic, but whose isn't. Gym is still going strong. Dryfire has taken a huge hit with exams/projects/papers piling on. Live fire has been to confirm/deny poa/poi of a recent sight change. Holding off on any more live fire after barrels are 95%+lead free to ensure that isn't skewing the results.

Finally had a lightbulb on my leading issue, and my freaking crimp die was turned in oh....about 3+ turns too far in. Crimp was measuring in at .368 or so, meaning the bullet was getting swagged as I ran the press. Made 100 rounds to verify that they still pass the case gauge, which they do. Crimp is now set to .380. Played with the bell to make my bullets 'stick' when the dropper die releases them. Attempted to refine the bullet feeder a little bit, and it's dropping 1 upside down every 3-400 or so. Need to make a lot more bullets and verify/mess with it a little bit more.

Switched over to wet tumbling brass. Got tired of the dust from dry tumbling, the crud on my hands from messing with it, the pieces of media that jam up the feeding of cases in my press, the media and dust in the garage. I'm not using the stainless steel pins it came with, as I think sifting those little buggers out defeats a major advantage of this process to me. I can have good enough to reload brass after 30 minutes of tumbling, vs hours in a vibratory dry tumbler. It takes less than an hour to dry it in the dryer, so 1.5 hours, with cycling loads from the ammo can to the tumbler, to the dryer, to the press. This, and the Frankfort Arsenal primer tube filler, are the major "why didn't I do this before" moments with reloading in the last 5 years or so.

https://youtu.be/2SnhVyYhsc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gym has been steady improvements. Missed a day this week, not going to give myself too hard of a time for that one. Working on bench and power clean as my major hurtles right now. Have a pt test coming up, so the cardio for that has been eating calories that I'd rather build muscle with.

Need to order more primers, powder, mag carriers. Looking at a .22lr conversion for the Sig, possibly also finding a milled slide 226 and compare to the folded slide. Keep the folded either way, as the milled one I'm looking at has .40/.357 barrels, and a 9mm barrel is easy peasy at that point in the game. Would likely make the milled slide the trainer gun.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Came up with a way to automate my bullet sizing (kinda). Was doing this while I had a batch of bullets in the oven getting coated, 10 pounds of lead melting, and a load of bullets drying in the dehydrator.

No way I could get even close to this speed placing by hand, or with an inverted press. Also easy to find replacement parts.

https://youtu.be/g8VB7mw1Qwc

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Getting out of casting my own - price is right but I don't have the time. Haven't had this many problems with .45, but 9mm is a whole different beast that you can't shortcut anything on for casting. Settled on 135gr sns round nose. If I didn't have 3 different jobs I'd stick with it.

Put a daa click wheel on the powder measure to quickly get my loads dialed in. This and the micrometer on my seating die make it cake to change loads within caliber repeatably.

Upgraded the press with some goodies, but the inline fabrication handle is the largest improvement. Really looking forward to getting my press light from reloading innovations. Stoked to get my bulk order of bullets made and shoot a lo

https://youtu.be/v_KvMtKyvTg. And it goes so much fasterr and smoother...

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Got a separator for my wet tumbling, decided to give it a go with the pins. Holy cow! With the separator, the pins come right out, and it's amazing how much filth they get out of cases that are already clean.

Necessary? No - not going to do it for brass I sell. But for me and my hobby, sure - something's right in the world when you can bring something from the grave to brand new. Time to get the pins out is on par with getting dry media out of cases.

And the leftover crap - the cases were previously wet tumbled, without pins. It's way worse in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

So shiny!

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

TSiWRX wrote:So shiny!

I'll be putting up some deprimed .223/5.56 brass cleaned the same way in a little bit - just sayin ;)

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

https://youtu.be/_0Upz0CFSGc
How to get a FA primer tube filler to work

Fruits of labor for an hour 20 minutes today - had a couple case jams in the feed mechanism from jacked up rims and one seriously torn body.

1000 rounds of 135 grain, two powder charges. Case gauging is up next, but goes quickly with less than 3% failures.

-Important distinction