IDPA Classifier

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

IDPA Classifier

Post by Stryker74 »

I shot my first IDPA classifier on Saturday 5/14 at Pickaway County Sportsman club. It was an interesting experience, and somewhat different than a typical IDPA styled event.

I have been trying to get back into "competitive" shooting to give myself some measurements, and show me where I need to work more. So, I figured the classifier was a good point to help with that (plus, it was the IDPA event for May at the club).

In short, the classifier runs through various standard exercises from 7, 15, and 20 yards. At 20 yards, you are using barriers that you have to shoot around as well. (More details on the stages here.)

7 yards consists of torso and head shots on the targets. Head shots always make me nervous - but I did better than I give myself credit for: 8/9 - I dropped one just below the line on my string of all head shots.

15 yards includes movement - which was not too bad for me. I practice shooting on the move pretty often.

At 7 and 15 yards, my times were pretty good. My accuracy suffered though - I needed to slow down a bit to get better shots. I was forcing my shots too quickly on the T-1 target, so I wound with the most points down on that target for those 2 stages. I added 8.5 seconds on the 7 yard stage, and 16.5 seconds on the 15 yard stage - all due to inaccuracy (that missed head shot on stage 1 hurt).

Stage 3 was the 20 yard with barriers portion that just killed me. My time was decent for the stage - but I added 30 seconds due to missed shots and inaccurate shots. Being a right handed shooter, I was using the right side of the barriers to shoot around. My worst target for misses was T-1 - which was at the far left. I missed 4 shots on that target - which hurts that score a lot!

My overall score was 175.08 - which puts me in the Marksman class for SSP. Had I been more accurate - although a little slower - I would have had a real positive shot at hitting Sharpshooter class on Saturday. Key lesson: Slow down and guarantee those hits.

I will add - I shot the entire classifier from concealment. I *think* I was the only person in my squad to shoot from concealment, as it is optional for the classifier. I shot it that way because, a) I wanted to be as realistic as I could, and b) it was pretty chilly out with the wind blowing. Shooting from concealment might have added 5-8 seconds overall to my score - but nothing I am too worried about. I need to work on those missed shots more than worrying about a few seconds of shooting from concealment.

The classifier is a little boring - and makes for a very long day. But, I set a mark for myself, and now have some very specific points to work on for improvement.

So, off to buy a good timer (the app on my phone is not good enough for what I want to do), and more practice.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Re: IDPA Classifier

Post by Brian D. »

As we discussed elsewhere, I think they could encourage more classifier shooting if they'd knock the round count down from 90 to 60 or so. Ditch the 20 yard strings for sure, the D in IDPA stands for Defensive.

I get that it's an overall skills test, don't misunderstood. But the classifier is daunting and time consuming, for participants and staffers. Even if run efficiently, it would take most all day to run say 50 people through it. It is a disheartening match for new shooters, that I've witnessed. Some never return, not the goal at all.

What gun did you run? I ask because using a compact or smaller pistol, which many choose to carry, is that much worse for classifiers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Brian D. wrote:What gun did you run? I ask because using a compact or smaller pistol, which many choose to carry, is that much worse for classifiers.
I ran my M&P9 full size. Most (maybe all) in my squad ran full size guns, for obvious reasons.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Yes, it is boring. Does help in some ways in seeing where you need work although not a lot. It's not uncommon to have problems with the 20yd shots, but they are needed occasionally. For years I carried and shot 4" Kimbers and used those for classifiers. This past year I picked up a 4" M&P 45 just so I could shoot one classifier and have it apply to all four pistol divisions. (MM for all if curious). Had only been shooting it a couple of weeks so may move up by next year. You will see more smaller guns being used in classifiers for those looking to compete in CCP (4.1" barrel max and thinner as well, P227 Carry is about 1/8" too thick) and BUG now that it's a standard division.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:... Some never return, not the goal at all...
What IS the goal of the classifier, and why should it be made easier/quicker?
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Once you're classified, at other matches you'll only be competing for placement and prizes against those of the same rating. Of course a serious competitor hopes to move up from novice to marksman to sharpshooter to expert to master in due time. Meanwhile, you are more likely to win trophies or whatever is awarded to the top finishers in each ranked group.

It seems to be a good system for getting shooters hooked on the sport.

I just believe the classifier is tough, slow, and less enjoyable than scenario based matches, such as the ones done at Fun 'n' Gun.

********************************************************************************
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thanks for posting about this
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I think the classifier should be appreciated/hated for what it is and what it's for.

Like Brian said, it's a test. Most tests are long and boring.
Brian D. wrote:...
I just believe the classifier is tough, slow, and less enjoyable than scenario based matches, such as the ones done at Fun 'n' Gun.
Fair enough.

Because it is a test, the IDPA wants you to shoot it at least once a year. That way you can judge your own progress in the sport. However, because it's long, tough, boring, etc., you ONLY have to shoot it once a year.

The classifier has 3 stages with 3 to 7 strings of fire in each stage, totaling 30 rounds per stage.
You have to shoot body shots.
You have to shoot head shots.
You have to shoot with your strong hand only.
You have to shoot your weak hand only.
You have to start while facing your targets.
You have to start while turned away from your targets.
You have to perform a reload from slide lock.
You have to perform a tactical (retention) reload.
You must shoot while moving forward.
You must shoot while moving backwards.
You have to shoot from behind cover while standing.
You have to shoot from behind cover while kneeling.
You have to engage targets as near as 15 feet.
You have to engage targets as far as 60 feet.
And you have to do all of the above with multiple targets.

If you KNEW you were going to have to take a test, and you KNEW what the test was going to cover, wouldn't you study the material? :P
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:... Ditch the 20 yard strings for sure, the D in IDPA stands for Defensive.
:shock:

Thank the spirits above that I will NEVER be called upon to use my firearm at distances greater than...

What specific number should I put there?

I had to shoot a 6" group on an 8" target at 45 feet to qualify as an NRA instructor. Is that the number I should use?

Okay, silliness aside, here is the reason that the 20-meter distance needs to stay in the classifier:

If there is one thing that will force a shooter to concentrate on the fundamentals, it's long distance shooting.

The P in IDPA stands for Pistol, and if you don't know AND USE the basics of pistol shooting (sounds like a good title for a book :wink: ), then you're just wasting ammo.
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
If there is one thing that will force a shooter to concentrate on the fundamentals, it's long distance shooting.

The P in IDPA stands for Pistol, and if you don't know AND USE the basics of pistol shooting (sounds like a good title for a book :wink: ), then you're just wasting ammo.
The part your are leaving out of the equation is the competitive aspect. You throw in a timer, and suddenly you are racing - and pushing shots that are outside the fundamentals.

You know...

Sort of like a mag dump where you miss 75% of the shots.... :twisted:

That said, the classifier is different things for different people. We even discussed it during the match - people will sandbag to get into a lower class so they can come out on top of that particular classification. That's why there are rules that call for evaluation during the year to promote you into the next higher class if needed.

For me, the classifier was a test. I did some self-evaluation, and see where I need to improve. From that perspective, I got what I wanted. Sure - bring on the fun scenarios (the ones for June have been announced at PCSI) - I will enjoy those. But, I will be working on my improvement while doing it too.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Brian D. wrote:... Ditch the 20 yard strings for sure, the D in IDPA stands for Defensive.
:shock:

Thank the spirits above that I will NEVER be called upon to use my firearm at distances greater than...

What specific number should I put there?

I had to shoot a 6" group on an 8" target at 45 feet to qualify as an NRA instructor. Is that the number I should use?

Okay, silliness aside, here is the reason that the 20-meter distance needs to stay in the classifier:

I haven't really gone around on the IDPA match circuit for a year or three. But my impression is that there were a fair amount of people who took in one classifier, and decided to never do another one. Some even seemed to disappear from the matches entirely.

Personally, Dave, I didn't mind the 20 yard strings that much. Managed to make Sharpshooter in two categories, and barely squeaked into Expert in one other, if memory serves. Even at that I thought the 20 yard, and head shot, sections were tougher than needed to sort everybody out. But I did see a lot of newer folks really struggling in those parts of the match and getting discouraged.

Also, as stated above, if a big crowd shows up for a classifier, the multiple strings and high round count make the darn thing take all day to get everybody through. I recall people squadded in later relays watch how long the first relay of shooters were taking to get through, getting their money back and leaving, on a couple occasions.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Stryker74 wrote:...
You know...

Sort of like a mag dump where you miss 75% of the shots.... :twisted:

HEY !!

I resemble that remark !!

:oops: :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

Hey! I shot in your squad! I was the lefty shooting a P09.

That was also my first classifier. I also struggled with the third stage. I seemed to just lose focus, during one of the stings I realized I was holding awful low on the targets and I was rushing my shots. Ended up just missing sharpshooter. Gives me something to work towards next year.

And that was a long day. I thought it would be a short match, so I didn't take the whole day off work, ended up having to bail before everyone was done shooting.
mmcdermott1

Post by mmcdermott1 »

I just started shooting IDPA this year and I would have to agree on the 20 yard shots. I'm not saying this because I can't shoot them (I actually shot that string better than i did on the rest) but rather because as the one fellow said, this is "defensive" pistol shooting. Hopefully none of us ever get into a real life situation where we have to draw our firearm but if we do, you best not shoot someone 20 yards away unless you'd like to spend about 20+ years in a prison cell. It isn't practical for defensive pistol shooting.