When/Where is Schomy's moving to?

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

When/Where is Schomy's moving to?

Post by Brian D. »

This is kind of a SW thing. There's been a flea market/gun show by the name of Schomy's in operation for 30 years or more. Thing is, they rent a building on the cheap for a while, then the property gets sold for demolition or the like, so the location moves around every so often. Years ago it was near Franklin, then in West Carrolton, and the last few years they were set up in Middletown at the old Montgomery Ward store.

My understanding is that they are in the process of pulling up stakes again about now, not sure of the timetable. The folks who run it are older and not very internet savvy, so finding a page that's anything close to current has not been successful for me todayif any of you have the scoop, please respond here. The show runs on Saturday mornings and afternoons only, and can be a decent place to do some trading if no other gun show is on the calendar in the region.

By the way, I mentioned this elsewhere, but the Patriot Gun Show held at Treasure Aisles flea market has ended, at least for the time being. Internet gun show listing pages still show it as operating every Saturday, but two weeks ago was the end. Rumor has it they are also thinking about relocating, but I have no confirmation of that.

Meanwhile I'm going to do a little more surfing and see if I can find anything up to date about Schomy's. I have a longtime fondness for these firearms-centric swap meets; they are becoming a thing of the past for reasons of liability, and the perception by our federal government that such activities should be verboten. The latter is a boatload of hooey, it has been years since I've seen a face-to-face transaction where the parties didn't check each other for in-state IDs.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Re: When/Where is Schomy's moving to?

Post by Brian D. »

Eh, I didn't expect too much from posting this thread. Think I'll run up to Schomy's this morning, where it's been held in Middletown the last 3-4 years, and look see if the sign on the door reads "Open", or "We have moved to..." wherever.

My digging around on old web pages that mention the place yielded me nothing helpful.

********************************************************************************
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

They took down the Facebook page.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I went to the current Schomys location (University Blvd. in Middletown) this morning. They will be there through at least May. Plans to relocate in/near Miamisburg have fallen through, so the future from June forward is not certain.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Here's an update: Schomy's will be without a home after this Saturday, April 30th. They can't seem to find a large enough vacant space to rent at any sort of decent price. It's funny how that works: You want say 6000 square feet of open room like a small warehouse or gutted store, there are landlords with empty ones all over the place, that have remained un-rented for months or even years. Check with them on price and it's easy to figure out why.

I'll have some spare morning on Saturday before the campus walk at Miami U/Oxford, think I'll go visit the old swappers one last time. Makes me a little sad, it's been going on for at least 40 years.

TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

The target by Lowes has been vacant for a year or so now with no offers/bids. The property owner should probably open up to renting the space.

They want a million for the space.