First Appleseed!!!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

herp_man2003

First Appleseed!!!

Post by herp_man2003 »

Just signed up for the May appleseed in gibsonburg! I'm excited been meaning to do one for the last several years. It just never seemed to work with my schedule. I will be using my 10/22 with tech sights for the shoot. I just need to get a sling for it. I will be using my ar on the second day. Think I have most everything I need. Might have to invest in a good shooting Matt. Thanks Anthony
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: First Appleseed!!!

Post by Javelin Man »

Shooting mat is very useful, almost as necessary as a learning attitude. Be ready to take something to the 500 yard range.

I took my Mossburg M44 bolt action I bought at Camp Perry with a peep sight. Some students were snickering at my ancient long gun but the range boss looked over all the guns and picked mine as the best gun on the line. The targets proved him right.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Our Enfield was about the same age as yours, if I remember right. I think we had the two oldest on the line.

Quite a fun thing to hear that ping echo from 500 yards!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I'm excited to go. So excited that I bought a back up rifle lol. I bought a marlin 795ltr. Corse between now and them I will try an add a classic like a Remington 513t. Lol time to get out to the range and get some trigger time in.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yes, definitely bring a centerfire if you have one. Gibsonburg is one several ranges here in Ohio where we can set up steel targets or even full size AQT targets (if the instructor can get them) at full distance. Gibsonburg is a great place to shoot and almost as good is being able to camp there for the event and hang out around their fire ring in cowboy town.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I only live about 35-40min away so no camping for me. I'm planning on bringing my ar with me. It will be a blast and I hope to improve my rifle shooting skills. Thanks Anthony
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

I'd still consider camping or at least hanging out afterwards on Saturday. Lots of good company and good conversation to be found around that fire ring.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I will keep that in mind. Any recommendations on a shooting mat that won't break the bank? I could just take an old blanket but think i might want to go a little more fancy lol. Thanks Anthony
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

herp_man2003 wrote:I will keep that in mind. Any recommendations on a shooting mat that won't break the bank? I could just take an old blanket but think i might want to go a little more fancy lol. Thanks Anthony
I know a lot of guys like the MIdway mat when on sale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/169107 ... ooting-mat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have other versions too.

Edit this ones even cheaper, as I noticed you are on a budget.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459074 ... mat-coyote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sometimes its cheaper to add a filler item for shipping such as the gerber sharpener.
http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocati ... 26Ntpr%3D1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If you want to really go cheap, the blue closed-cell foam sleeping pads from Wal-Mart and other places work fine. Because of the way Gibsonburg line is laid out, you'll be out in the grass. So, no gravel or concrete slab to contend with.

That being said, though... those Midway mats are pretty handy/nice. When you catch them on sale, they are a good deal. I've got two of them. Between myself, wife, three kids, and being used as loaners while I worked the line they get lots of use and have held up like champs. Would love to get one of the XL ones though.
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I'm gonna try out an anti-fatigue mat from harbor freight got it and a tarp for 7.56 so if it don't work out I'm not out anything.
Does anyone have some appleseed targets they will sell me? I was gonna order some from them but I did not want to order more than one pack and the sight would not let me order just one pack. Thanks Anthony
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

You can print your own here :D

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php? ... 0#msg83220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13731.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

So I just got this garand idea lol. I going to sell of an extra ar and some other misc stuff and buy an m1 it's always been on my bucket list of guns anyway. Then use that at my appleseed on the second day!!! Now I need this weather to cooperate so I can get out and get some trigger time!!! Thanks Anthony
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

herp_man2003 wrote:I will keep that in mind. Any recommendations on a shooting mat that won't break the bank? I could just take an old blanket but think i might want to go a little more fancy lol. Thanks Anthony
Get a US Military surplus sleeping pad. They go for about $8 at local gunshows. You will be comfortable even on coarse gravel.

Your gonna have a blast, and learn a lot! 8)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Great idea! It will help on the 500 yard range as well. I took my Swiss K31 and hit the target after a few sighting helps. The Garand uses the peep hole sight which will help you on that range and the shorter range. My Mossberg M44 has the Lyman peep hole sight so I did extremely well, outshooting most everybody using scopes.

That and centerfire on the range is cool!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George