First Appleseed!!!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

herp_man2003

Re: First Appleseed!!!

Post by herp_man2003 »

I get just as much enjoyment out of gathering my stuff for this as I will the event lol. This has spured a complete over haul of my 10/22. Most of what I'm doing with it will not be seen so it will look pretty much stock. And why keep a couple ar when I can have a garand lol. This is a madness I tell you!! And I'm extremely excited for the weekend as well. Really gunning fort riflemans patch pun intended lol
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Go to learn. It is about the learning. The patch will happen.

It took me 7 Appleseeds. By the time I had my patch, I knew the curriculum forward and back. I do believe that made me a better Riflewoman.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

I am going to learn. I want to be a better rifleman!!! But in the end my goal is a riflemans patch!! I have a very teachable attitude and catch on fairly quickly to new ideas. Just excited for it and todays weather really has me wanting to get out and get some trigger time in!! I am excited to learn how to use my sling and how to shoot from the prone position both of which I have not done a whole lot of. Thanks again Anthony.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I have seen a lot of shooters push themselves so much to get the patch that they get tunnel vision, and end up missing the goal. Then they go home angry.

I have also seen shoot bosses push someone so hard that it is no longer fun, and it becomes an awful experience. I don't like that one, either. There has to be a balance. Find the balance, and the score will come.

I just want you to have the best experience possible, patch or no patch.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I've been meaning to go to another. When I went, with my wife, son, brother and his 2 boys, I had a blast. It was HOT. If it is warm, take plenty of water.

I thought I was a decent shot before I went. I had never had any formal training prior to the appleseed though. I actually learned the proper way to shoot there. On my very last attempt on the 2nd day, I got my patch. The methods taught work very well if you listen to the instructors.

Maybe Ill try to work in another one this year. :idea:
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

No matter what the weather is, take plenty of water. Staying hydrated is just as if not more important in cold weather.
tbrew85 wrote:I've been meaning to go to another. When I went, with my wife, son, brother and his 2 boys, I had a blast. It was HOT. If it is warm, take plenty of water.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
dingode

Post by dingode »

I may join you in Gibsonburg if my schedule allows. I've been trying to get to an Appleseed for a few years now.
herp_man2003

Post by herp_man2003 »

So it seems the weather has been conspiring to keep me from the range to get some trigger time in. So to counter that I went up to the cmp north store and bought me a daisy 853 air rifle. Let me tell you this thing is a hoot to shoot!!! Go down in the basement 3 or 4 nights a week and shoot. Love this thing and the best part is I get trigger time in on the cheap and I don't have to go anywhere.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Another alternative, dry fire, works wonders. Just ask the instructor who goes by that name. :wink:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
dingode

Post by dingode »

I didn't make the shoot. My wife was out of town so I had to stay home with the kids. How did it go?