Help OFCC at Medina County Gun Show JAn. 16/17

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Help OFCC at Medina County Gun Show JAn. 16/17

Post by dl1911 »

Was busy helping a friend with his tables but stopped by both days. Had to renew my patron membership and had a friend there on Saturday who liked what he saw there and picked up a membership. He had gotten his first gun a few weeks earlier and I was walking him around to pick up some basics. Practice (FMJ) and SD (HP) ammo, cleaning kit/supplies. He has a class in a few weeks and I'll probably be taking him back through for night sights (sad to see Gary leaving and hoping Frank does as good a job), holster, etc.!
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Tell you what, Brian. You organize the OFCC effort for that next show you mentioned, and I'll pick up the parking for the OFCC volunteers who work at least a half day at your table.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Mr. Glock wrote:
...........and, judging from this past Saturday, you don't need to be handsome either. :mrgreen:

As was related to me on Saturday, most gun show attendees have never heard of OFCC, so the tables provide good exposure to our group.

......and THIS is the kind of thank you we new volunteers get ? :lol: ......and Justashooter....yes I saw YOUR comment too!

All kidding aside, It was a bit....well...."surprising" to realize so many gun owners have never heard of us!
As for me volunteering on sat., it was sort of a learning process and I plan on poss. helping in the future.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mr. Glock wrote:Tell you what, Brian. You organize the OFCC effort for that next show you mentioned, and I'll pick up the parking for the OFCC volunteers who work at least a half day at your table.
I'm a helper only because of job. Can't ever guarantee being on time because of job. Plus, the Columbus show is over 100 miles away, little out of my bailiwick. I've done one day stints and am not averse to doing so again. Ohio Expo Center can't possibly be as run down as Westland had gotten.

The turnout at Roberts Center wasn't so good, but then every time they seem to rent out less tables than the previous show. This one conflicted with the Indy 1500 show, lots of the "name" vendors were there as opposed to C&E.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:
...........and, judging from this past Saturday, you don't need to be handsome either. :mrgreen:

As was related to me on Saturday, most gun show attendees have never heard of OFCC, so the tables provide good exposure to our group.

......and THIS is the kind of thank you we new volunteers get ? :lol: ......and Justashooter....yes I saw YOUR comment too!

All kidding aside, It was a bit....well...."surprising" to realize so many gun owners have never heard of us!
As for me volunteering on sat., it was sort of a learning process and I plan on poss. helping in the future.

If sveryone did just one half day.......

I did one day. I'm not a great supporter like some the gun show guys (who are awesome, if ugly).

But i did one day.

It's New Years...you got 4 hours to spare for the 2A?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brian D. wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Tell you what, Brian. You organize the OFCC effort for that next show you mentioned, and I'll pick up the parking for the OFCC volunteers who work at least a half day at your table.
I'm a helper only because of job. Can't ever guarantee being on time because of job. Plus, the Columbus show is over 100 miles away, little out of my bailiwick. I've done one day stints and am not averse to doing so again. Ohio Expo Center can't possibly be as run down as Westland had gotten.

The turnout at Roberts Center wasn't so good, but then every time they seem to rent out less tables than the previous show. This one conflicted with the Indy 1500 show, lots of the "name" vendors were there as opposed to C&E.
Agreed. But if you decide to head it up, whether you actually go there or not, I'll send you $200. Gas, parking, hookers, I don't care.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote: ......and Justashooter....yes I saw YOUR comment too!
:mrgreen: :lol:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:All kidding aside, It was a bit....well...."surprising" to realize so many gun owners have never heard of us!
It was great having you there man! It didn't take you long at all to get up to speed - and we really needed it after the show got moving. I knew we would be busy and having three of us at the table was nice.

Next Medina show is Feb 13/14, make sure you leave the dates open...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:Without giving away any Top Secrets: How did things go at the show, specifically for OFCC? Get any new members? Have that talk with one person where you know you kept them from going off track legally? Come on now, I think the lack of an after action report keeps some folks on here from signing up to do a few hours behind the table. They don't know what to expect or what can be gained or learned. (And I'm as guilty as the next guy for not talking it up better when I was taking some turns volunteering.)

There was a little excitement on sat. as there was "apparently" a gun sold to a fella who had felony convictions and was caught by LE.......and on top of that, the gun was "hot"! He and the guy he was with were standing by our table fiddling with the gun and it looked as though they were having an issue with it. I walked over and asked what the problem was and they said they couldn't get the mag to release. They walked over to our table and all three of us looked the gun over and couldn't figure it out and they went on their way. Later on that day, someone came over the loud speaker asking for the person who sold the gun, (Mossberg 22lr semi-auto ), and I walked over to LE and said the three of us had talked to the two who had purchased the gun. LE took my name and number and that was it.

And yes, between the three of us we cleared up more than a few misunderstandings about the carry laws and talked w/ quite a few who were in the process of getting a lic. So yes, I'd say it was a good day overall. 8)
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Mr. Glock wrote: and I'll pick up the parking for the OFCC volunteers who work at least a half day at your table.
Just for the record, if we are ever set up at a place that charges for parking, or charges our volunteers admission to the show, they are reimbursed. I would never ask someone to pay their own way to come out and work a gun show table for OFCC.

As for the AAR, I think the others have covered it pretty well. Talked to lots of people about OFCC, cleared up a few misconceptions about carrying concealed, sold and renewed a few memberships, had a pretty good day doing it.

As Brian has said, you don't need to be a walking concealed carry reference book to help out at a gun show. If you have a general knowledge about concealed carry, and keep up on these forums, you will find you can answer about any question that is asked at the shows. And if you can't answer a question, there is no shame in saying I don't know, but I do know where you can find your answer, and sending them here. :wink:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djmac1964 wrote:As Brian has said, you don't need to be a walking concealed carry reference book to help out at a gun show. If you have a general knowledge about concealed carry, and keep up on these forums, you will find you can answer about any question that is asked at the shows. And if you can't answer a question, there is no shame in saying I don't know, but I do know where you can find your answer, and sending them here. :wink:
And generally there will be someone else there that is more experienced and can usually help with those things that you don't know.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

[quote="djmac1964"]A huge thanks goes out to everyone who showed up to help this weekend![/quote

Posting this a little late as i was very sick with a nasty stomach virus :shock: that started sunday at the gun show. It was either the hot dog, chris, or dons fault that i got sick. I will deal with them at the next show. :lol: .Never boring working with don or chris. :P
Black Rifles Matter