First Cowboy Action Shoot

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

First Cowboy Action Shoot

Post by Morne »

So I finally made it out to a Cowboy Action Shoot yesterday. Drove down to Mt. Vernon to shoot the monthly main match with the Ohio Valley Vigilantes. It's only $15 for a one day pass or $20 to join the club, so it is quite affordable.

I was not the only newbie there. There were a couple others, too. Fortunately, these folks are very welcoming and encouraging. I had some issues with my shotgun extracting shells so after 2 stages of trying to wrestle with it another shooter, Slow Movin Ron, loaned me his shotgun. :D Of the six (6) stages we shot I managed to shoot two (2) of them "clean" which means there were no misses at all.

The stages typically required 10 revolver rounds, 10 rifle rounds and 4 shotgun shells. I used my .38 special lead handloads and only had one instance where a primer needed a second whack.

Getting a stage briefing:

Cowboys at the loading table:

My mentors for the day Old Smokey (left) and Slow Movin Ron (right):

Downrange view of a stage, notice the knockdown steel targets with the reset ropes:

The start of the stage...your cowboy line to tell the timer you're ready was, "It's a lead offering...":

Here you see the rifle laying center, shotgun left while the shooter is on the right engaging the revolver targets;

Shotgun for the knockdown steel targets:

Emptying the shotgun after clearing the stage, smoke lingering in the air:

It was a riotous good time! I got to meet the famous bullet maker "Doc Adams", too. If you get a chance go see one of these wonderful events. I'm sure I'll be shooting CAS again sometime soon.

"Doug Grave"
SASS # 102100
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sky Pilot

Re: First Cowboy Action Shoot

Post by Sky Pilot »

Well done and delighted you Cowboyed Up! :mrgreen:
Been shooting Cowboy for years (when the work schedule allows!) and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on! :wink:
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Terrific pictures! I'm going to re-load this thread when I get in front of a bigger screen. Looks like a heap of fun.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

My dad shot SASS for a while but didn't care for it.

There were a lot of 'silly' scenarios and a lack of skill (rifle targets set at pistol distances and pistol targets within spitting distance).

He sold his Beretta .357 Stampedes...I miss those guns.

I miss my dad, too...but, damn, I miss those guns.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:My dad shot SASS for a while but didn't care for it.

There were a lot of 'silly' scenarios and a lack of skill (rifle targets set at pistol distances and pistol targets within spitting distance).

He sold his Beretta .357 Stampedes...I miss those guns.

I miss my dad, too...but, damn, I miss those guns.

:P
Cowboy Action used to feature targets at a more challenging distance but things were simplified as you describe for a couple of reasons:

1) Less intimidation for newbies in the game.
2) Less time needed for each shooter to complete a stage. A six stage monthly shoot that draws say 75 competitors, plus throw in a few side matches, it makes for a long day. Especially in the summer, while wearing more clothes than most folks normally would. If a stage takes 25 seconds raw time on average versus 45, probably an hour or so will be saved conducting the match.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Daniel Dodge

Post by Daniel Dodge »

Morne,

I was at the OVV match and in your posse. I remembered (just now actually) overhearing you say something about posting a report on an Ohio Conceal Carry site. So I did a search and found it here. I have my CCW and usually carry my non-cowboy Ultra carry, but I'm thinking about a small .38 cowboy gun for a backup. :D

I'm glad to hear you had a good time, CAS shooters are some of the best folks out there for treating others well and watching out for new folks. I started back earlier this year after a 12 or so year break and everyone helped me get up and running. I hope you come up and shoot with us again soon. If y'all got any questions or such give me a shout.

P.S. - I'm surprised that your camera did not break, because that ugly fella in brown pants and vest in the first two pictures is me. :mrgreen:

DD