2015 Tony Gordon Award

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

2015 Tony Gordon Award

Post by schmieg »

The Tony Gordon Memorial Award was created in honor of Ohio resident James Anthony "Tony" Gordon. Tony gave his life at the age of 27 to protect his then 13 year-old nephew during an attempted car jacking in Dayton in August of 2003. Despite being mortally wounded, Tony was able to get his nephew safely home before succumbing to his injuries.

Rather than blame the gun the killer used for this tragedy, Tony's family was determined to ensure future carjacking victims had an alternative to driving away and could defend themselves with a firearm if they chose. They worked to help get concealed carry reform passed in Ohio; even attending one of the many open-carry self defense walks held prior to passage of HB12.

In 2004, at the first annual Party in the Park picnic, OFCC presented Tony's family with the Tony Gordon Memorial Award. This award is presented annually to an individual who goes above and beyond while working to further gun rights in the State of Ohio.

This award is given annually to a deserving person who has performed exceptional work to promote, support, or expand gun rights in Ohio.

Recipients
2004 - The Gordon Family
2005 - John Benner
2006 - Jim Aslanides
2007 - Daniel White
2008 - Steve Buehrer
2009 - Chris Harben
2010 - Nikki Goeser
2011 - Danny Buhp
2012 - Cliff Rosenberger
2013 - Gary Witt
2014 - Brett Pucillo

We are now soliciting nominations for this year's Award. Nominations should be entered in this thread and will remain open until July 3.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 2015 Tony Gordon Award

Post by schmieg »

We're coming down to the wire on nominations and so far, no one has offered any. A lack of nominations will result in OFCC making a determination without reader input.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
BobK

Post by BobK »

I nominate Chuck LaRosa.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Second the nomination.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Third that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I'd like to throw another one out for Chuck.
idoncare
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by idoncare »

Ditto on Chuck !
Tom

Semper Fi

When guns are outlawed, ONLY outlaws will have guns...

Gun control = Hitting what you aim at....

Easier to get another job than another life....
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Hurry and wrap this up before Chuck declines.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mike I started thinking about worthy candidates when you first posted this thread and came up empty except for...Chuck, believe it or not.

To quote a Simpsons episode "The mob has spoken". Another vote for LaRosa.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I feel Chuck deserves recognition and so I'll pile on the bandwagon. :D
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

OK you guys, I'm flattered, really, but,
I think we should award it to a politician this year
Representative Terry Johnson is my first pick, with Senator Joe Uecker as a VERY close second
Please pick one of those
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BobK

Post by BobK »

Chuck wrote:OK you guys, I'm flattered, really, but,
I think we should award it to a politician this year
Representative Terry Johnson is my first pick, with Senator Joe Uecker as a VERY close second
Please pick one of those
OK, I'd like to learn. What did they accomplish for "the cause" in the last year?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

i would say both of them tried to do something but for whatever reasons the best parts of these bills always seem to get chopped out or they don't make it through the process. I can see Chuck's point for sure about maybe trying to reward someone outside the group.
BobK

Post by BobK »

techguy85 wrote: I can see Chuck's point for sure about maybe trying to reward someone outside the group.
He has a great point that has sold me. This is a chance to make some political hay and further our agenda with politicians.

If we start with the premise that we are trying to reward and honor political friends, my question is focused on what acts of friendship can be touted as good for the OFCC? No politician can deliver perfect results in that sausage grinding factory called the Ohio Legislature (or any state legislature). Instead, who is a consistent ally, pushing the ball further down the road?

Thus my question regarding these two gentlemen is sincere. If someone thinks they should be awarded, present a small statement now that describes why. Remember that the actual award will be accompanied by a press release announcing the recipient and explaining how/why they earned it.

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Why not give the award to someone in our OGA leadership who supports our efforts?