What it takes to be competitive. (Link)

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

What it takes to be competitive. (Link)

Post by JU-87 »

Hi all
I met this guy at the CMP Eastern Games on May 2nd, 2014. He was inspirational! :!:
He told me to read his thread on the CMP forum. Link below.

MODERATORS: I think this link should be a "sticky". Read it and you decide.

What it takes to be competitive by Greg Ficklin.
The members that use this forum, and buy from the CMP are a tiny slice of the county, but it accurately represents the culture in that 99% never take up the shooting sport that the CMP is founded to promote, and preserve.
It is my hope that many more will stumble into a great tradition of competition in arms, and avail themselves of the opportunity to take part in something that will transform them from a red blooded American gun enthusiast, that reveres history, and freedom to one that also participates in the matches that were made for them. It breaks my heart to know that the vast majority of these rifles the CMP has saved for us will never see any competition. Their owners will never know the community of people just like themselves that have taken their love for shooting in a direction that rewards them in the pursuit of the Distinguished Rifleman badge, the Presidents Hundred, and NRA classifications of Master and High Master. All the people you meet along the way, from every state, and club members close to home form a community that is truly special. The longer you stay in the game, the more people you know, help, and cheer on because they are dear to you.
When you start to get medals, they all cheer for you, and you for them. You really want them to succeed as much as you want to progress yourself.
Our sport has some of the same attributes of a thriving church. We have a community that gives, and loves one another. We learn together, and work to bring people in with open arms. We evangelize the game. Once you start you are never the same. You come past what most people think shooting is all about to a new and deeper appreciation for a discipline, and not just a casual interest in owning guns. Informal shooting is still great, but it doesn't compare to a personal best at the 600 yard line, earning leg points, achieving goals of a shooting career, and meeting really great people.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=138584&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.