How to shoot "Rifleman" at Appleseed.

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

How to shoot "Rifleman" at Appleseed.

Post by JU-87 »

I REALLY enjoyed Appleseed.

It's funny that so many of us "have shot rifles all our lives", and "consider ourselves a good shot". I used to include myself in this ignorant group. We were/are ignorant in the true definition: we had no measure of competence, or really what does it mean to "know how to shoot a rifle?" Appleseed is a standard. It's a very good measure of how good or bad you are RIGHT NOW. It can be very humbling.   :wink:

I scored "Rifleman" the first time ( with a "stock" Bushmaster AR-15 A2) in 2008. 
What worked for me was: I purchased "Fred's guide to becoming a Rifleman" (and read it), and some Redcoat & Army AQT targets that they use at Appleseed.
Dryfire practice.
Shoot targets at range.
Dryfire practice in all 3 positions.
Shoot targets at home with air rifle.
Dryfire practice.  

Here is some shocking advice: Spend some money.   :shock:
On practice ammo.
On "Tech Sights" for your .22 rifle. They are military rear aperture sights. Do a web search.
On 1- 1/4" sling swivels, and a military loop sling.
On Appleseed match fees.
On extra magazines for your rifle.
Go to Small Arms Firing School:http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-nati ... g-schools/  This is the best $45 you will ever spend.

I now consider myself a student of Rifle Marksmanship. I am never going to stop learning and improving.

I did it. You can do it too.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: How to shoot "Rifleman" at Appleseed.

Post by Javelin Man »

Congrats on making Rifleman! :)

I've attended 4 or 5 Appleseeds and have learned a lot from each one. The experience and lessons learned have been invaluable, the history was extremely interesting and good to know.

That said, I have not strived to attain the vaulted Rifleman Patch. My Marlin wasn't quite good enough and my Mossberg M44 couldn't reload fast enough with the bolt action to score well during the timed portions of the test. I scored nearly 100% on the smallest targets on the bottom but that wasn't enough to make up for only getting half the shots off in the previous targets. To me the important part was the experience and being the best I could be, not just getting a patch. I've used that experience and knowledge on shooting all my other rifles and being a much better shot.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BobK

Post by BobK »

JU-87 wrote:It's funny that so many of us "have shot rifles all our lives", and "consider ourselves a good shot". I used to include myself in this ignorant group. We were/are ignorant in the true definition: we had no measure of competence, or really what does it mean to "know how to shoot a rifle?"
I am planning on attending an Appleseed this Fall. Everything I've heard form people who have attended is positive. I look forward to attending.

However, I am also grateful it is not the only way to get quality rifle instruction. I am still grateful to the the dedicated instructor team who taught me how to shoot a rifle.

My first formal instruction was in the Fall Quarter of 1973. I was a 17 year-old freshman at Ohio State and took riflery as a PhysEd credit that quarter.

These were the same instructors who taught ROTC at OSU, and it was taught on the range in the ROTC building.

I started the quarter not knowing how to shoot correctly. Over 40 years later, I still remember being taught prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. I still remember them teaching us trigger control, breath control, use of the sling, natural point of aim, follow through, both eyes open, and sight picture. There were other things they taught, but I no longer remember. I do remember these were single shot, bolt action .22's with aperture sights and sling.

Anyway, by the time the quarter was finished, I was comfortably shooting scores in the 95-99 range using a 10 bullseye target. Laid a solid foundation for the rest of my life. I thank them for their service.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

After attending my first Appleseed we held a rifle clinic at our gun club for the guys that shoot CMP Matches with us every month. They were all amazed at the info we were able to pass on in one afternoon, from what we learned at an Appleseed event. It opened their eyes as to the basics and instruction they have been missing. I'm not sure how many of them have since attended an Appleseed event.

We then held a couple rifle clinics and invited the rest of the gun club members, funny but the response from most was "I've been shooting all my life I'm an excellent shot, there's nothing you can teach me". How sad when we decide to quit learning.

I am glad I've attended several Appleseeds, I want to go back, and each time I go, I go with an "empty cup" so I can get the most I possibly can from the event. It's amazing how many shooters refuse to empty their cup.

One older gentleman that went with us to our first Appleseed pushed back for the first day and part of the second day of instruction.. he's been shooting for 50 years.. what could that 15yo Kid with the bright colored hat possibly teach him ? I was wondering why he even came to the event. I also can't recall if he managed to get his rifleman's patch before the end of the weekend.
Last edited by Bruenor on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep, that teachable attitude is probably the single most important thing you can bring to an Appleseed. We can work around the rifle, the person, their gear, and the weather.

Speaking of the CMP Hi Power matches... I still remember the first time I attended one back when I was a member of the Southern Cuyahoga Sportsman Assoc. The older gentleman who was acting as my spotter sure got wound up when I slung up for the standing stage. :lol:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Time to chime in. I have been an instructor with Project Appleseed since 2009, starting as a shooter in the Minerva gravel pit in 2008 ( I think that was the year). Many Appleseeds later, all over Ohio and PA, and each one gets better. Yes there can be a closed-brainer or two, but not usually. I really wish we could tell them "double or nothin" - you are such a great shooter, get 210 or above on your first AQT, heck, even your first two day Appleseed shoot, and pay nothing. Don't get 210? Double fee for you! You know it would have to be a guy. I have never seen a lady so closed-minded. I have been coaching a wonderful young lady who at 16 yrs old shot Rifleman scores on every AQT that we shot that weekend (Salem, 2014). She scored 220 and above. Her high was 231. Shoot like a girl --if you can. Why? Open mind. (I do like the empty cup thing Bruenor....I think I will use it!)

I was told a story by another Instructor that at one event, they were shooting some long range steel targets, I don't remember the distance. At that particular time the range was open to the club members. There was club guy with the fanciest, multi-thousand dollar rifle and scope shooting off a bench. Next to him was a young Appleseed lad, maybe 17, on the ground in the sitting position, holding an old bolt action hunting rifle with a cheap scope and a GI sling, banging that gong nine out of ten shots. The older gentleman, even with his fancy equipment, could not hit the gong even once. He walked over to the Instructor and handed him a $100 donation and said "Well done...well done. Whatever you guys do, keep doing it."
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Michael Bane just completed another Project Appleseed weekend in Colorado. Here is his After Action Report:

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2015/04 ... d-aar.html

Some say he and I look very much alike! :D
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
EmeryE101

Post by EmeryE101 »

I attended Appleseed last year at the Dillon Sportsmen Center near Zanesville. It rained all day on Saturday. I never had so much fun getting down in the water and shooting. Since I didn't make Rifleman last year, I have already scheduled the July Appleseed back at Dillon. This time I talked some friends from work into joining me this year. Looking forward to it!
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Great thread!

I fully credit Appleseed for teaching me everything I know about shooting a rifle...and, as a Rifleman... I'm still learning!

Want to attend an Appleseed?
Here's one in Salem on June 27th & 28th.
http://www.salemhuntingclub.com/appleseedevents.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I enjoyed my first Appleseed in March... We got there Saturday morning and it was snowing and cold lol.. Made me think about the folks that fought in those conditions in the Revolutionary War... And of how many of them didnt have as good warm clothes as we did... Or shoes for that matter... I'm going back this month for my second Appleseed... I think I'm going to keep shooting them even after I shoot rifleman.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Salem's Appleseed was another great one.
Lots of knowledge being given to even some of the more experienced shooters.
NEVER stop learning!!

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I recall the pre-Appleseed Jake. Bench, steady sandbag rests, 100 yards.

Not to poke fun, I was in the same boat pre-Appleseed.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Admittedly, I didn't even own a rifle 10 years ago.
Once I got one, I had no clue what it really was capable of...or me for that matter.

This past weekend, I shot a Rifleman's score for every AQT...even one with open sight's.
That would never have possible IMO without Appleseed.

I detest bench shooting these days!
:twisted:

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

OK, so I'm registered for my first Appleseed at the end of this month at Tusco. Very excited, and nervous.

I have a few gear and related questions:

I've ordered a Midway shooting mat that came highly recommended, but it is back ordered. I have no idea if it will arrive in time, but from what I can tell I really need one. Any suggestions as to what to do if it doesn't make it in before the 25th? (No, I don't have a carpet remnant handy, and I've gotten odd looks when I ask about them at local big box stores).

I see they recommend elbow pads or a shooting jacket - just how important is a shooting jacket? I'm not planning on making a career out of high-power or related shooting disciplines, I just want to get good at shooting a rifle.

If I don't have a shooting jacket but do have a shooting mat, are the elbow pads needed and what should I get? The "cheap cloth shooting jacket" no longer seems to be available from the link they provide in the FAQ.

The recommended practice talks about prone, but I get the feeling we will be shooting from sitting and standing as well - but I can't find a course of fire on the website. Is there a primer of sorts to help me prepare for those aspects as well? It has been way too long since I did anything with positional shooting, and never had any instruction with a sling.

Given that I'm a 50-year old overweight guy with fading eyesight, what else should I do / what else should I be asking? I'm already planning on using a scope on my rifle (Ruger 10-22 for most of the shooting, maybe my AR-15 for longer range stuff if it works out).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Check the "What to expect at Appleseed" thread here on OFCC. It has been around for awhile and will answer most of your questions.

Quick answers: No you don't need a jacket. Yes you need something semi thick to lay on...a couple of moving blankets would work. A thin tarp won't. A thin tarp with two moving blankets would be just fine.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member