How to shoot "Rifleman" at Appleseed.

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Birdman

Re: How to shoot "Rifleman" at Appleseed.

Post by Birdman »

JustaShooter,
A camping sleeping pad would work also, or just blankets. Our your yoga mat. :lol: Tusco has a concrete firing line, so you need something for sure. No shooting jacket is necessary and I have seen very few on the line in 8 years instructing at Appleseed events. One thing to bring for sure is a "teachable attitude" :D
Jake, Rifleman scores seem to come easy now don't they? When you are able to put everything all together it just happens. Probably lots of muscle memory type things happening. Also trigger control and technique comes into play when you are trying to get to the top of your game. Good job Jake. "Oh look here! Another rifleman score....oh wait...it is just Jake again" Well done, well done.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

The elbow pads are just keep your elbows from being sore. You can get some moleskin or wear a thin long sleeved shirt if you prefer.

As for your rifle, ensure you set your eye relief while in the prone position. Very common for first timers to have their scopes to far back causing problems in the prone position.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Buy one of the other mats they offer then take a friend or a youngster to an Appleseed and let them keep the mat once the backordered one comes in?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Buy one of the other mats they offer then take a friend or a youngster to an Appleseed and let them keep the mat once the backordered one comes in?
That's my plan - Midway got in the standard mats and I was able to get one in time for the shoot, and once I get the better mat I'll switch to it and keep the other for whoever I take with me. Top of that list are my sons, but neither was able to go with me this time.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I forgot to mention - I was able to shoot "Rifleman" on the last AQT of the day today. I feel pretty good about that accomplishment. Good, but sore - elbows and left bicep mostly, but being the overweight old man that I am, there are a number of other lesser aches and pains I'm contending with. Tylenol is my friend right now... :(

When I get a chance I'll write up a more detailed AAR but right now, I need to get to sleep...
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Huzzah!! Congrats on your patch. Now keep that momentum going and get/stay involved in your issue of choice. Or shoot it a few more times and step up to the Orange Hat. Or both. :mrgreen:

Tylenol and water. Drink lots of water.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Huzzah!! Congrats on your patch. Now keep that momentum going and get/stay involved in your issue of choice. Or shoot it a few more times and step up to the Orange Hat. Or both. :mrgreen:

Tylenol and water. Drink lots of water.
Thanks! And yeah, water and lots of it - I've been a staunch advocate of proper hydration for a long time so it was nice to see some folks singing that song right along with me!

I'm planning on doing the October Appleseed at Tusco as well (and in the mean time, I do strongly advocate for the 2A and volunteer for OFCC). I've got 3 others from my work promising to go (one that came with me to this one but did not earn his Rifleman this go) and I've just begun to encourage others to attend. And, I'm hoping to get my two sons to this next one as well - work and the dentist kept them away this time, but I think I got them excited after telling them about my experience there. :mrgreen:

And yeah, the folks running this Appleseed were encouraging me to take up the Orange Hat. I may just do that!
NRA Life Member