First Appleseed shoot

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First Appleseed shoot

Post by WY_Not »

If you can't do the cross-legged or even the cross-ankle, did the kneeling work for you? Like anything it might be just a matter of practice to get muscles that aren't used to being stretched stretched out. Don't know your body size/shape or your physical condition to just tossing out some ideas.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

WY_Not wrote:If you can't do the cross-legged or even the cross-ankle, did the kneeling work for you? Like anything it might be just a matter of practice to get muscles that aren't used to being stretched stretched out. Don't know your body size/shape or your physical condition to just tossing out some ideas.

I have a lot of joint pain... I believe it is arthritis...The kneeling was ok, but couldn't get stable... I was allowed to stand and do that stage... The wind made it kind of tough then as well lol... I just need more practice on my hold positions.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I continue to consider the possibility of attending an Appleseed. Is there a substantial disadvantage to using a bolt-action rifle?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Werz wrote:I continue to consider the possibility of attending an Appleseed. Is there a substantial disadvantage to using a bolt-action rifle?

I talked to the shoot boss and the instructors there, they said folks have done I with bolt action... It is timed on every stage ranging from 55 seconds to 5 mins... If you're really familiar with your rifle and if it takes a mag, I think you'd do ok with it... I found that my Marlin model 60 put me at a disadvantage with the tube feed... That's why I'm looking for a 10/22, if I don't find one... I think I'm going to use my AR at the next one.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Bama.45 wrote:
Werz wrote:I continue to consider the possibility of attending an Appleseed. Is there a substantial disadvantage to using a bolt-action rifle?
I talked to the shoot boss and the instructors there, they said folks have done I with bolt action... It is timed on every stage ranging from 55 seconds to 5 mins... If you're really familiar with your rifle and if it takes a mag, I think you'd do ok with it... I found that my Marlin model 60 put me at a disadvantage with the tube feed... That's why I'm looking for a 10/22, if I don't find one... I think I'm going to use my AR at the next one.
So how many mags and what capacity? I have a CMP Remington 513T; the six-round mag is virtually infallible, but I hear that the the 10- and 15-round mags are less so.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I'm hoping to do my second appleseed in May of this year. I did my first last year in Wilmington. Despite not doing a lot of rifle shooting in my life, I thought I was a decent shot, but knew I could improve.. After MUCH improvement I earned Rifleman on the second day, on my last attempt. The instruction was very good. The most important thing to bring is a willingness to learn and apply their methods.

I used a Ruger 10/22 with a $29 Walmart scope (Bushnell). Both were purchased about 1 month before the event. I will have several more 10 rnd mags before my next event. (The 10 rnd mags work out much better than the 25 rnd mag, even if there are no jamming issues.)
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

With the timing, I would be EXTREMELY impressed with anyone using a bolt action and scoring Rifleman. Its an accomplishment to do it in time with a semi auto. As far as magazine size...(If I recall correctly) on most stages, you are loading 2 mags. One with 2 rounds, one with 8 rounds. A bolt action, with 6 round magazines? I'm not saying its impossible but...

With that said, I think the average shooter could use a muzzle loader and still learn/improve at an appleseed.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Werz wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:
So how many mags and what capacity? I have a CMP Remington 513T; the six-round mag is virtually infallible, but I hear that the the 10- and 15-round mags are less so.

You have to be able to load 10 rounds in one mag on the last stage and maybe the first one as well(I don't remember), the rest of the stages you load one mag with 2 rounds and another mag with 8 rounds... You have to do mag switches on most of the stages.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Course of fire is geared towards semi-auto mag fed rifles. However it can be done with any rifle. I've seen guys using tube fed, lever actions get rifleman. One of the most amazing shooters I can think of was a fellow up at Sandusky County Sportsmen's Club in Gibsonburg, OH. He normally shot small-bore at CMP but decided to come out to an Appleseed to learn and to practice. He shot a bolt action. Came really close to a perfect score, 248 I think was his top score. That bolt was super slick. He'd fan his hand/fingers up to open the bolt and eject the spent round. Then he'd use his thumb to start the bolt back forward and fan his hand/fingers to close the bolt. Through all this he never broke cheek weld or any other points of contact. The only thing he moved was his trigger hand. And that was mostly just his fingers/thumb, the heel of his palm remained in position on the stock. It was a thing of beauty.

Bring what you have. Shoot what you have. We're not a high speed, low drag group. We're there to learn/teach the fundamentals and everyone can benefit from that. Anyone who comes with a teachable attitude will walk away having learned something.

Basic course of fire is...

Stage One - Standing
2 minutes
1 mag of 10 rounds
1 target

Stage Two - Seated (Transition From Standing)
55 seconds
2 mags, 2 rounds and 8 rounds
2 targets, left to right 5 and 5 rounds in each

Stage Three - Prone (Transition From Standing)
65 seconds
2 mags, 2 rounds and 8 rounds
3 targets, left to right 3, 3, and 4

Stage Four - Slow Prone
4 minutes
1 mag, 10 rounds
4 targets, left to right 2, 2, 3, 3

And don't forget the history. We've got some great stories to tell and some great storytellers to tell them. :wink:

If you want more details, feel free to ask or PM.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

I'll be attending the Appleseed in Garretsville this May and I'm very excited to learn more about the history aspects as well as various marksmanship skills. Anyone else planning to attend the May 30-31 Appleseed? I'd love to meet some more OFCC members! :mrgreen:
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

My brother and I are aiming for May 16-17 in Liberty Center. It will be my second, his first.

Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

tbrew85 wrote:My brother and I are aiming for May 16-17 in Liberty Center. It will be my second, his first.
I think they will be doing the second one at Wilmington around then as well..That is the one I am shooting for..Hoping I can do some dealing and get a 10/22 before then..I really want to make rifleman lol.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

sdelam

Post by sdelam »

I have scored rifleman with a bolt action cz 452. It's very doable.

As for using 6 round mags, we will work around whatever you have. Likely by loading 4 and 6. The point of the mag change is to make you break and re-establish your position.
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

I need to practice my steady hold factors and try to figure something out with the sitting position..My body just wont let me do it lol.
I feel your pain in the sitting position, in my case ping pong balls do not cross their legs :shock:

What worked for me was this alternate incarnation of the sitting position :D

(C) Feet in front (open stance): Again, sit at an angle to the target, although a little more nearly facing the target than cross legged. Keep your knees spaced the correct distance to accommodate the elbows in front of them. Feet should be flat if possible and spread as far as possible to gain stability. This is not as stable as cross legged, but may help some of you out who cannot do that. Make gross adjustments on the target by shifting your feet simultaneously to the left or right, keeping your butt essentially stationary, for windage and drawing the forward hand along the stock to adjust elevation. Remember to keep the elbows in front of the knees.

From the Appleseed blog: http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/2008 ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

dademoss wrote:
I need to practice my steady hold factors and try to figure something out with the sitting position..My body just wont let me do it lol.
I feel your pain in the sitting position, in my case ping pong balls do not cross their legs :shock:

What worked for me was this alternate incarnation of the sitting position :D

(C) Feet in front (open stance): Again, sit at an angle to the target, although a little more nearly facing the target than cross legged. Keep your knees spaced the correct distance to accommodate the elbows in front of them. Feet should be flat if possible and spread as far as possible to gain stability. This is not as stable as cross legged, but may help some of you out who cannot do that. Make gross adjustments on the target by shifting your feet simultaneously to the left or right, keeping your butt essentially stationary, for windage and drawing the forward hand along the stock to adjust elevation. Remember to keep the elbows in front of the knees.

From the Appleseed blog: http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/2008 ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a hard time sitting like that and keeping my back from having spasms or muscle fatigue setting in lol... I'm just going to practice standing more... The wind made it doubly hard lol... I could feel the gusts pushing me rifle and all to the right lol.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07