First Appleseed shoot

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: First Appleseed shoot

Post by Mustang380gal »

Practice sitting or kneeing in the position and it stretches out the muscles making it easier.

Ted uses kneeling. His back is stiff, and he can't bend enough.

The point of positions is not just to hit the little D targets. It is to teach practical shooting. There are times in the field when it is not practical to stand while shooting. Sometimes prone is too low, and standing is unstable, which makes sitting or kneeling best. It is worth it if you can find a position and stretch a bit to make it comfortable.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Thanks for the tips... I'm going to start practicing the different positions in a couple of weeks... Where can I buy the AQT targets like we used, for practicing?
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Targets - http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

Well shucks, I had received the certificate around Christmas to sign up for the event and kind of forgot about it till this thread and noticed that the one that's semi close to me is full. Here's to hoping someone has to cancel and the waiting list works out as I'm first in line. :cry:
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Check in with the shoot boss. They can keep you in the loop if someone drops or if the range can manage to squeeze in an extra shooter or two above what is in EventBrite. If none of that made sense, PM me.
Beaston330 wrote:Well shucks, I had received the certificate around Christmas to sign up for the event and kind of forgot about it till this thread and noticed that the one that's semi close to me is full. Here's to hoping someone has to cancel and the waiting list works out as I'm first in line. :cry:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I'm glad I went to the website... There were only 3 tickets left for the one in May.. Now there's 2 left lol
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

WY_Not wrote:Check in with the shoot boss. They can keep you in the loop if someone drops or if the range can manage to squeeze in an extra shooter or two above what is in EventBrite. If none of that made sense, PM me.
Beaston330 wrote:Well shucks, I had received the certificate around Christmas to sign up for the event and kind of forgot about it till this thread and noticed that the one that's semi close to me is full. Here's to hoping someone has to cancel and the waiting list works out as I'm first in line. :cry:
Ditto.

Oftentimes there are no-shows, or if you are alone, sometimes things can just be made a bit more cozy.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
EmeryE101

Post by EmeryE101 »

I went to Appleseed last year and had a lot of fun,even though it rained all day the first day. Nothing like laying in a puddle of water ignoring the wetness to get your shot down range. I didn't make Rifleman last year because I had trouble seeing the target. However, I have new peep/post sights on my Remington 597 that look like the sights on my M1 Garand.

I am going back again this year. I will at the July 18 & 19 shoot at the Dillon Sportsmen Center between Newark and Zanesville. Hoping to qualify Rifleman this year with either the .22 or the M1. Come join us.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I REALLY enjoyed Appleseed.

It's funny that so many of us "have shot rifles all our lives", and "consider ourselves a good shot". I used to include myself in this ignorent group. We were/are ignorent in the true definition: we had no measure of compitance, or really what does it mean to "know how to shoot a rifle?" Appleseed is a standard. It's a very good measure of how good or bad you are RIGHT NOW. It can be very humbling. :wink:

I scored "Rifleman" the first time ( with a "stock" Bushmaster AR-15 A2) in 2008.
What worked for me was: I purchased "Fred's guid to becoming a Rifleman" (and read it), and some Redcoat & Army AQT targets that they use at Appleseed.
Dryfire practice.
Shoot targets at range.
Dryfire practice in all 3 positions.
Shoot targets at home with air rifle.
Dryfire practice. 8)

Here is some shocking advice: Spend some money. :shock:
On practice ammo.
On "Tech Sights" for your .22 rifle. They are military rear apature sights. Do a web search.
On 1- 1/4" sling swivels, and a military loop sling.
On Appleseed match fees.
On extra magazines for your rifle.
Go to Small Arms Firing School: http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-nati ... g-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is the best $45 you will ever spend.

I now consider myself a student of Rifle Marksmanship. I am never going to stop learning and improving.

I did it.You can do it too.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.