Help OFCC at Columbus Gun Show Nov 1-2

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Help OFCC at Columbus Gun Show Nov 1-2

Post by djmac1964 »

The big draw for us at these shows is that there are still folks paying the money, and meandering around, that have never heard of OFCC, and have no idea where to go to get information about carrying firearms. If we can at least help to educate this group of folks, it's a plus for us all. There are more and more new gun owners out there, who have no clue, and if we can reach a small percentage of them, then it's good thing, at least in my mind. The trouble is, we need help to make this happen!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Brian D. wrote:Six Shooter does have a point, Stryker. Some of the shows around the state are fair-to-lousy these days.

And no, I don't have any good alternatives to setting up the OFCC table at some of the less-than-stellar venues.

I went over to Westland to set up our table this evening. I can tell you that there were a few larger vendors (Kyles, Julies Guns, Cadiz Gun Works) that were already set up there. Also, GunEnvy plans to have a table there tomorrow.

It can be very hit and miss at the shows these days. I hear vendors talking about having to choose which show to hit - or whether to stay home in their retail space that they are paying the bills for regardless of being there or not.
Six Shooter wrote:$9.00 to get in the door, to a half empty room with things priced over retail. Not very appealing. Good luck though.
Not disagreeing with you - I know there are private persons that are trying to recoup the money they might have spent during the craze. I also know vendors there are sometimes priced higher. I do what I can to support them if I can - I know they are just trying to make it, and certainly are not getting rich off this business.

I would encourage people to shop around in the economy. But these shows aren't just for picking up what you want or need necessarily.
djmac1964 wrote: The big draw for us at these shows is that there are still folks paying the money, and meandering around, that have never heard of OFCC, and have no idea where to go to get information about carrying firearms. If we can at least help to educate this group of folks, it's a plus for us all. There are more and more new gun owners out there, who have no clue, and if we can reach a small percentage of them, then it's good thing, at least in my mind. The trouble is, we need help to make this happen!
djmac1964 hits it right on target - there are new people that come to these shows all the time. It can be less intimidating for a new gun owner than going to Vance's or trying to figure how to order over the internet.

Last show - we had an OFCC patron member that specifically came to the show to bring his friend and introduce him to us and OFCC. This friend was interested in getting his CHL, and was full of questions - so we had a good chat, and got him solid information.

The only way we get that done is through volunteers. Don't like paying the $9 to get in the door at the Westland show? Then volunteer some time at the show - admission is free. Plus, you get the chance to work with good people on spreading the correct information to gun owners and CHL holders. You would be surprised at the misinformation that we here dealers and instructors give out at these shows - so we take the time to set things straight as often as we can.

We need all the volunteers we can get! Be it at a gun show, or at the statehouse, this organization is driven by volunteers.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Stryker74 wrote:The only way we get that done is through volunteers. Don't like paying the $9 to get in the door at the Westland show? Then volunteer some time at the show - admission is free.
You're good. :)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Stryker74 wrote:djmac1964 hits it right on target - there are new people that come to these shows all the time. It can be less intimidating for a new gun owner than going to Vance's or trying to figure how to order over the internet.

Last show - we had an OFCC patron member that specifically came to the show to bring his friend and introduce him to us and OFCC. This friend was interested in getting his CHL, and was full of questions - so we had a good chat, and got him solid information.

The only way we get that done is through volunteers. Don't like paying the $9 to get in the door at the Westland show? Then volunteer some time at the show - admission is free. Plus, you get the chance to work with good people on spreading the correct information to gun owners and CHL holders. You would be surprised at the misinformation that we here dealers and instructors give out at these shows - so we take the time to set things straight as often as we can.

We need all the volunteers we can get! Be it at a gun show, or at the statehouse, this organization is driven by volunteers.
This is it, exactly. This is why I volunteer to man the table at the show in Akron - sometimes it is almost unbearably slow, and yeah there aren't often any good deals to be found, but in my mind it is important to advocate for the cause however I can. So I volunteer at the show, I talk about OFCC and gun rights with friends and family (and even coworkers that I know are like-minded individuals).

Getting in the show for free is a side benefit, and I do upon occasion find something I'm looking for at a price I'm willing to pay, and I like making contacts with other vendors as well - but the advocacy is why I do it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Ain't activism fun??
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Chuck wrote:Ain't activism fun??
As a matter of fact it is - I get a real kick out of it!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

So do I,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Maybe so. Definitely not at the Westland show.

Another $9.00 down the drain.

Bedazzled purses, beef jerky, and some kind of tube siphon thing. And gutter products.

One vendor, had some very nice Colt and Browning pistols. Kind of saved the day. :D
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Six Shooter wrote:
Maybe so. Definitely not at the Westland show.

Another $9.00 down the drain.

Bedazzled purses, beef jerky, and some kind of tube siphon thing. And gutter products.

One vendor, had some very nice Colt and Browning pistols. Kind of saved the day. :D
At least with the bedazzled purses, you had something to carry your beef jerky home in. :mrgreen:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

djmac1964 wrote:At least with the bedazzled purses, you had something to carry your beef jerky home in. :mrgreen:
That was funny. I almost choked on my coffee. :)

Maybe, I'm just reminiscing about the good old day's. Times change. It doesn't mean I have to like it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It was indeed slow at Westland on Sunday. However the day before i attended the monthly Tri-State Gun Collectors' show at the Allen County Fairgrounds. (Lima, Ohio). If we could get a table there it's definitely a high-traffic venue. It's run from like October through May, first weekend of the month. Held in as many as four "expo" type buildings, easily double the size of Westland. It has always been popular with the folks who live up that way; one time in January I got to town the night before just in front of a blizzard. Next morning by 10 am the show was packed.

Of course we'd need some OFCC volunteers from the NW part of the state to take the reins and staff the table. My coming 100+ miles to do this advocacy thing is a a once-in-a-while deal. Spoke with Stryker about the Lima show and it's 120+ miles for him each way, he certainly can't (and shouldn't have to) take the lead on it.

And on a more selfish note for those interested in doing an OFCC table there: The Lima show has much better stuff on the tables than what we've come to expect elsewhere. Certainly more guns/knives, much less candy and beef jerky. To give an example, I was looking for some magazines for a recently acquired full size M&P pistol in .45 acp. Wanted to get some low miles used magazines for range use, and spend less money in the process. By the time I'd made a circuit around the tables, i'd come up with eight of them for roughly $20 each.That beats the heck out of $40+ tax for new ones! Lots of individuals with tables at that show, selling off accessories for guns they no longer own, etc.

Just throwing out a suggestion.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

A huge thanks to Mr. Magoo for his help on Saturday, and to Brian D. for his help on Sunday.

Saturday was a decent day - we had a fair amount of traffic in the show until about 3pm or so. We got lots of questions, and had some good conversations with attendees.

Sunday was much slower, and really didn't pick up in the afternoon like it normally would.

All weekend had a political tone to it - talking to people about voting and candidates. There was also discussion of the status of some of the bills that are still sitting in the legislature.

This weekend's show had an interesting dynamic to it - we were in our normal spot in the show, but I walked in Saturday morning (after setting up Friday evening) to find that BFA had been placed next to us. (They formerly had a table in the front corner of the show.)

We had some great conversations with their volunteers over the weekend. Their approach is much different than ours, but the end goal is similar. One thing that they do have a handle on - volunteers working their table. Their teams worked half days for the weekend, and worked only 1 of the 2 days. I must admit, that is a goal for the shows that we have a table at as well - many hands make light work.

(We have some really, really, REALLY dedicated individuals that work most shows - sometimes for the whole weekend. I would like to get some additional people so that we can run these tables in shifts.)
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

I'm glad you guys can put a positive spin on things. More power to you, and your involvement.

Besides, seeing the one vendor (vintage colt pythons and hi-powers) I did buy a holster, from Stoner Holsters.

But you know what I mean, about the other stuff.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Six Shooter wrote:I'm glad you guys can put a positive spin on things. More power to you, and your involvement.

Besides, seeing the one vendor (vintage colt pythons and hi-powers) I did buy a holster, from Stoner Holsters.

You went to Stoner holsters, and didn't stop by and introduce yourself? We were spittin' distance from Stoner holsters! :shock:
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Stryker74 wrote:
Six Shooter wrote:I'm glad you guys can put a positive spin on things. More power to you, and your involvement.

You went to Stoner holsters, and didn't stop by and introduce yourself? We were spittin' distance from Stoner holsters! :shock:
He must hang out with gaspode,,,,
Ain't activism fun?