2014 Cleveland Gun Buy Back

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Only vote in this poll if you're attending. No need to vote no.

Poll ended at Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes I am attending (roll call)
42%
I can't read directions
58%

Total votes: 19

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 2014 Cleveland Gun Buy Back

Post by steves 50de »

pirateguy191 wrote:My problem is with the little turds that peak over your shoulder, while you are talking to the seller with his gun in your hand, trying to make an offer and they just belt out, "I'll give you $40 for it right now." That deserves an elbow to the forehead.
The buy back is not an auction it is a buyer walking up to a seller and trying to do a deal .

If someone has the gun in there hand checking it out and talking to the seller. The people that think it ok to butt in and start talking over the guy that was there first are the problem. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
Crosswire3

Post by Crosswire3 »

If that's the case, then we are all in the wrong for "interfering" with the police's event. After all, they do have sellers lined up with their number. They are there to transact specifically with the police hosting the buyback. Any of us are there with the sole intent to poach people in the middle of the deal they originally came for.
lar1

Post by lar1 »

Do they run checks on the confiscated firearms? Do they return stolen guns back to proper owner? I am betting 75% of those guns get picked through and bought for scrap metal from recycling employees :D
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

that's exactly ^^^ what I want to know. Without doing the background check to see if stolen, they're NOT DOING THEIR JOB.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

At the airport in Columbus, they have a guy called the Cab Starter.

He doesn't run around and start the engines :roll: he makes sure they are all "taking turns".

There can be 30 or 40 cabs all waiting for fares, but the cab starter only lets about 4 cabs into the pick-up area at a time, when they are full, he lets the next 4 in.

I personally don't have a problem with one buyer trying to outbid another. That's just business and it's good for the customer.

But, too many people at one car window might just scare the seller away.

If we did something like this next year, we would have to organize it with other groups, like Ohio Carry and some group called "Ohio CCW" that had an advertising truck there this year. :oops:

http://www.guns.com/2014/09/08/gun-grou ... ack-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

So.. is anyone able to provide a count of just how many texts OFCC's rolling billboard generated?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

lar1 wrote:Do they run checks on the confiscated firearms? Do they return stolen guns back to proper owner? I am betting 75% of those guns get picked through and bought for scrap metal from recycling employees :D
No, and no, to your pair of questions. And unless you're giving good odds I won't wager against your statement in that last sentence.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
m0stwanted

Post by m0stwanted »

Just curious if anyone knows if the OFCC is planning on doing an event for the Toledo Buy Back program that is going on this weekend?
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

m0stwanted wrote:Just curious if anyone knows if the OFCC is planning on doing an event for the Toledo Buy Back program that is going on this weekend?
It looks like i don't have to work on saturday is anyone game to go up from the cleveland area. 8)
Black Rifles Matter
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Pecker wrote:
gaptrick wrote:A free market for enterprising capitalists. I see nothing wrong with an on the spot auction. Like it better than the other guy? Up your bid. Think the price too high for what is being offered? Bail. The buyer pays what he/she see's as fair and the seller gets the best price of the day. No offers at all? Let the cops melt it and the person does pretty good with the certificate.

If someone is hurt because they were out bid, they've no one to blame but themselves for not upping their bid. It's not "driving the price higher" as mentioned earlier, Its simply determining what the price actually is.
I think the angst was directed at two guys who came with a rather large bankroll. It's like being upset at the big stack at a poker tourney who doesn't let you see the flop for the cost of the blinds.
There was a Facebook picture of a large collection of handguns and long guns---almost a dozen handguns, at least 6 long ones.

Is that the person the angst was directed against?
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
BobK

Post by BobK »

So the event is over. Seems like it is time to remove the huge banner from every page:

Cleveland Gun "Buy Back" This Weekend - Details Here
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

BobK wrote:So the event is over. Seems like it is time to remove the huge banner from every page:

A week later and the Banner is still there! :roll:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cruiser wrote:
BobK wrote:So the event is over. Seems like it is time to remove the huge banner from every page:

If you two think you're tired of seeing that banner up top--imagine how long you'll be looking at the one about the SCCC lawsuit.

(Looks like maybe somebody read the grumping from you two curmudgeons and just now removed the one about the buy back. Maybe, because it suddenly isn't popping up at the top of each page.

********************************************************************************
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
Cruiser wrote:

If you two think you're tired of seeing that banner up top--imagine how long you'll be looking at the one about the SCCC lawsuit.

(Looks like maybe somebody read the grumping from you two curmudgeons and just now removed the one about the buy back. Maybe, because it suddenly isn't popping up at the top of each page.
Still on the top of mine.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Right now the banner race is about even between the "Cleveland Gun Buy Back" and the "OFCC joins SCCC lawsuit" stories.